Kebab Bread, Home Made

thaigerd

If I was to say I missed anything since coming here it would have to be a large mixed kebab,shish, kofta and doner, extra chillies and lots of chilli sauce after several Stella's. OH heaven!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I can't wait to try the recipe :)

YES!!!!!

Recipe please?????

Here we are:

Preparation Time 15 minutes

Cooking Time 20 minutes

Ingredients (serves 8)

2 tsp (7g/1 sachet) dried yeast

1/2 tsp caster sugar

250ml (1 cup) lukewarm water

450g (3 cups) unbleached plain flour

1 tsp salt

2 tbs olive oil

2 tbs natural yoghurt

Plain flour, to dust

Olive oil, extra, to grease

1 egg, lightly whisked

2 tsp sesame seeds

Method

Combine yeast, sugar and 2 tbs of the water in a small bowl, and stir until yeast dissolves. Set aside in a warm, draughtfree place for 10 minutes or until frothy.

Sift flour and salt into a large bowl. Make a well in the centre and add the remaining water, oil, yoghurt and yeast mixture. Use a wooden spoon to stir until combined, then use your hands to bring the dough together in the bowl.

Turn dough onto a lightly floured surface and knead for 10 minutes or until smooth and elastic.

Brush a large bowl with oil to lightly grease. Place the dough in the bowl and turn to coat in oil. Cover with plastic wrap and set aside in a warm, draughtfree place to prove for 2 hours or until dough has doubled in size.

Preheat oven to 230°C. Punch down the centre of the dough with your fist. Turn onto a lightly floured surface and knead for 2-3 minutes or until dough has returned to its original size. Divide into 2 equal portions and shape each portion into a 15 x 30cm rectangles. Place on 2 non-stick baking trays and press with fingers to indent surface. Brush with egg and sprinkle with sesame seeds. Loosely cover with plastic wrap and place in a warm, draught-free place to prove for 20 minutes or until dough has risen 1-2cm.

Bake in preheated oven for 20 minutes or until pide is golden brown and sounds hollow when tapped on the base. Remove from oven and place on a wire rack to cool. Cut into slices and serve with dips.

Notes & tips

You can make this pide up to 6 hours ahead.

Looks great Gerd, got my mouth watering

I have some lamb coming in tomorrow.... now I just need to get some taziki on the go....

S.J.C

Thanks S.J.C,

may be interesting for you:

We developped last week 2 kinds of meat for a new shop here in Phuket, Doener Kebab: 1 with chicken and 1 with beef.

It comes in a big italian mortadella casing(7kg) and is preboiled for food safety reasons.

So it is easy to use for the staff and they can keep it in the fridge.

Will take some photos when I have time.

Gerd

Neither of those are true Doner Kebabs though, plenty of places offering unappetising beef and chicken kebabs. When's someone gonna do a proper lamb doner like they have everywhere else in the world..

Neither of those are true Doner Kebabs though, plenty of places offering unappetising beef and chicken kebabs. When's someone gonna do a proper lamb doner like they have everywhere else in the world..

It all comes down to price Benjie... we can make it no problem ... theirs just no one out there willing to pay for it..... would you be willing to pay 3x the price for a lamb kebab???

S.J.C

• 2 weeks later...

I would pay 150 baht for a proper GYRO twice a week.

If its big I might even pay 200 baht. As long as it had the tzaziki sauce /garlic sauce.

You can buy a frozen chunk of new zealand lamb from foodland for 600 baht (rather good)..if im not mistaken a gyro/doner is a mixture of pork/lamb/beef so it should be affordable to make.

Someone please do it so i dont have to quit my job and do it myself.

It all comes down to price Benjie... we can make it no problem ... theirs just no one out there willing to pay for it..... would you be willing to pay 3x the price for a lamb kebab???

S.J.C

Yes I think I would.