Companion Steakhouse Between Tha Maka And Tha Rhua

Frank La Rue

I obseved the Steak House after return from a night in the moutnains on our way south. Coming back to Kan had a chance on Sunday to visit. The food was quite good, at least good enough to serve the purpose when I get a craving for western food / beef steak if in Kan.

The place seems to have 3 sections, a coffee shop, a concert area and a restaurant on the right - hand side. They had burbon but no ginger ale to mix with it, they had gin but no tonic. As the waitress explained, since they opened they had served gin-tonic only once and whoever asked for Jim Beam or Jack Daniels took it with Coke.

Language probems lead to me getting mushroom soup instead of beef with mushroom sauce. When the misunderstanding became apparent it was rectified quickly. I am particuar about french fries and these guys make good fries!

My wife has some thai food which passed the test.

It was about 14H30 when we stopped by, and there was a group of guys doing sound check on equipment and guitars for a concert that night. The noice was irritating for us who visited to eat. I was told that night's concert was to be with a Thai band named "Marijuana". I checked with wife's sister and husband that night and they tell me it's quite a known band in Thailand. According to the staff Carrabao will play in July.

I will visit again when time and opportunity permits, but personally I will avoid the times with music and sound checks, I thinkg it wil be pretty loud.

The place mus have costed a few million baths investment to set up though, and with the band names they put up the owners seem to be serious about their business

Noticed it a couple of times myself but always seem to be on the wrong side of the road headed back to Kan!

Thanks for the report, may drop in sometime. How's the prices?

The price is on the igh side, 300 Baht for a beef steak.

After w visit the the local hairdresser shop in Tha Leua my wiwfe took us to a place she knows in one of the back streets of Tha Leua, it is called "Hi Beefsteak and Coffee". You get a thin beaf steak with some mixed sallad and a few fries for 59 Baht. Not a big portion but sufficient for a lunch

Noticed it a couple of times myself but always seem to be on the wrong side of the road headed back to Kan!

After w visit the the local hairdresser shop in Tha Leua my wiwfe took us to a place she knows in one of the back streets of Tha Leua, it is called "Hi Beefsteak and Coffee". You get a thin beaf steak with some mixed sallad and a few fries for 59 Baht. Not a big portion but sufficient for a lunch

Thanks for the reply. Might try it and have a look out for some decent live bands too.

The steak and fries for 59 bht is quite popular all over, there is a nice one close to where we live in Phanomtuan although I always have to order an extra plate of fries to satisfy myself.

:)

Thanks for the reply. Might try it and have a look out for some decent live bands too.

The steak and fries for 59 bht is quite popular all over, there is a nice one close to where we live in Phanomtuan although I always have to order an extra plate of fries to satisfy myself.

BTW - I was going to tart up all my spelnigl errosrs in my previous oust as it was made before morning coffee, but I coud not find the "edit" on the post - how does this work?

LOL - funny you say that - We have eaten there twice now and I end up ordering an additional portion of fries as I find 8 fries with my beef steak kind of spares - guess that's what you get for 59 baht or 1£50 ! :D:D

Edited by Frank La Rue

Hello,

Sorry you did not have a good time at this restaurant.

It's just not cricket that you don't get beef with your mushroom soup when you ask for it, because you do realise that you are in thailand and not in the mainstream belt of Cambridge.

Was the gin Gordons or was it just make believe thai whiskey(perish the thought)? :)

Now listen, if you really want a good falang meal go see your old mother-in-law. :D

If not head south...

khirimat 4 :D:D:D:D

• 1 month later...

Have just returned home after having a late lunch at the Companion Steakhouse. Although I live quite near, it was my first visit there(and my last!).

My wife and I both ordered the steak with pepper sauce priced at 300 baht. A bit pricey I thought especially when I saw the size of the portion of meat which was very conservative. Anyway, it tasted quite OK. I had a Leo beer and my wife had an iced green tea.

The bill came to 1,050 baht which was more than I expected and when I checked the bill the two steak meals had come to 450 baht each...not 300 baht as in the menu. On querying this we were told that they didn't have the steak at the 300 baht so had substituted it with the sirloin steak priced at 450 baht instead without informing us prior to us eating the meal. My wife was now expecting me to make a scene but I went out of character and didn't. I just thought that it was sharp practice. I paid up and walked out knowing that they had just lost my custom! :):D

Com'on "Prodriver".....

You HAVE to tell them. Now they think they can do it every single time a farang walks in. Damned, I make a scene every time to help/protect other farang coming after me. It is your duty towards other people/farangs. It happens more and more in Thailand due to the "mai penrai" attitude of so many farangs waiving and smiling with their cash.

Sorry, I cannot agree with you and don't like it at all.

Yep! I have to agree with you guys totally. I was wrong not to make an issue of it. Kicking myself for not being true to my usual form. Wifey did ask why they did it and it got a stoned silence response. Wish I had a rewind button on my life and could go back to the moment. Too late now I suppose.

Very angry with myself :):D:D

Yep! I have to agree with you guys totally. I was wrong not to make an issue of it. Kicking myself for not being true to my usual form. Wifey did ask why they did it and it got a stoned silence response. Wish I had a rewind button on my life and could go back to the moment. Too late now I suppose.

Hi 'prodriver',

Happend to me years ago at the Floating Rest. by the bridge, photo showed 2 pcs of chicken, when it came got 1 pc cut in two :D . Wanted to moan and groan, but wifey just said "leave it, we live here" hence only go there to take photos

large.jpg

We now only go to eat in the Rest. 4 doors up river

large.jpg

Lots of parking, good service and food also good.

Sawadee :D

Hi 'prodriver',

Happend to me years ago at the Floating Rest. by the bridge, photo showed 2 pcs of chicken, when it came got 1 pc cut in two :D . Wanted to moan and groan, but wifey just said "leave it, we live here"

So you got two pieces then :D:D:D

How are you doing these days Kan Win? You used to drink in my bar just round the corner from Apache about 14 year's ago.

Hi 'prodriver',

Happend to me years ago at the Floating Rest. by the bridge, photo showed 2 pcs of chicken, when it came got 1 pc cut in two :D . Wanted to moan and groan, but wifey just said "leave it, we live here" hence only go there to take photos

large.jpg

We now only go to eat in the Rest. 4 doors up river

large.jpg

Lots of parking, good service and food also good.

Sawadee :D

We all flew up to my country from Thailand just yesterday.

I did not visit Companion Steakhouse this time but did eat in "Streak & Coffee" in Tha Rhua. I would like to know the name of the restaurant up-river on your last pic?

There is 6 - 8 restaurant between Ban Pong and Kan that we seem to eat in all the time, I actually have done a bad job of getting to know their names, there is always someone lese driving and we are usually 8 - 10 people. I would not mind trying something new. Wifey took me and son to a restaurant overlooking the river north of Kan in January which had a lot of ambiance. I will enquire about the name when she wakes up and get back to you. (We are time lag ridden so I am up and about at 06.00 on Saturday morning, the rest of the family sleeps)

I would like to know the name of the restaurant up-river on your last pic?

Hi Frank,

If you go to the "Famous Bridge over the River Kwae (Kwai)" it is about 50 to 100 meters up river. You Kan-not miss it as there is nothing else after this, only the car park. :D

Sawadee :)