New To Phukett

Jenellis

Hi my wife and I are travelling to Phukett in March 2010 and have not been before.

Seeking info on a few things buys.

Has anyone stayed at the Patong Ibis Hotel????

Wife is wanting to shop and is looking for larger sizes (16+).

What are some good things to do while there for 10 days?????

You can read reviews here:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g2...ong_Phuket.html

Things To Do:

Fantasea-- "Theme" park with BIG elephant show on stage

Simon Cabaret-- Ladyboy show

LOTS of day-long and half-day boat trips to Phi Phi Island, etc. Tip-- Buy your ticket along the beach shopping area instead

of at the hotel to get them for half price.

Shopping-- Everwhere

Do not stay at the Ibis Patong.

It's jammed inbetween other hotels, so you relax by the pool looking at the walls of another hotel and their F&B operations (restaurant and bar) are miserable.

Nearby is The Graceland, also check out a really neat new hotel on Patong Beach, B-Lay Tong.

I'm not trying to be rude, just realistic. Your wife should be aware that it will not be simple to find clothes in size 16+. Yes, it is out there, especially in a touristy area, but definitely not as easy to come by in Thailand. Often times, the "XL" large Thai clothes barely fit a size 10 or 12 woman. For your wife's sake, I really hope I'm wrong, but I wouldn't anticipate Phuket to be a good "shopping spree" experience for someone who is a 16+.

I have noticed a shop house in Kata that might be worth checking. It's on Thaina road about 400 or 500M in from Kata Center, right hand side. Now, you have to understand Thai culture. Things like what I am about to tell you are not considered offensive here. They have a sign outside that reads "Chang sizes." Chang means "elephant" and is not intended or considered to be offensive in Thai culture.