New Bike Advice - Kawasaki Er-6n/f

MattCinderey

Hey Guys,

I'm still a beginner when it comes to motorbikes. I've been driving a Honda CBR150R here on Samui for around 3 years now.

In my time here I've rented bigger and bigger bikes for long periods. I started with the Honda 250cc Hornet, progressed to a CB400 V-TEC (now that was fun, especially above 4,000rpm!) and recently I hired the Kawasaki ER-6N which was simply amazing. I wish the Kawasaki was 4-cyl as 4-cyl bikes sound amazing, still it was an amazing ride.

I live here permanently and want a new bike. I can get a Kawasaki from Suratthani on the never-never (credit) and want the bike to drive around the island, visa runs and also explore Thailand more (living for 3 years on this island, sometimes you need a break!)

For services, obviously I'll be taking the bike back and to from Suratthani - those roads are awesome (any road is awesome when you've been on samui so long!...)

Originally I was going to go with the Ninja 250, however my friend said for the island it's perfect but I'd get annoyed with lack of power when I was off the island...

After driving the 650cc, there's no way I could go back to a 250. So now the choice is the ER-6N or ER-6F. I've heard that the fairing on the 650R makes it nicer for longer journeys (less wind strain on the head/chest, etc) and I think it looks pretty cool too. I'm probably going to go for it.

I was just wondering from people who have driven both, what they think? I see Tony on here has gone from the ER-6N to the ER-6F. His bike looks awesome. I’ve been following his thread.

I'm also after advice about helmets, safety gear, etc. I admit that driving here on Samui, I have driven without a helmet and in flip-flops and have been (which I know is stupid) very very lucky after seeing so many deaths here.

I thought helmets were heavy and cumbersome and restricted my peripheral vision, until I tried on my friends Shoei helmet, which fitted like a glove! I couldn't believe how nice it was.

I'm going to head up to BKK before I buy my bike and get one. I was wondering what other recommendations people have with regards to safety gear.

I'd also like to know about breaking it in. If I buy it new with 0 km on the clock, then it will have hit probably 160/200km by the time I get it home to Samui, is it time for an oil change then? Or should I ride it around Suratthani for a few hours, then go back to the dealer and change the oil before heading back to Samui.

Any information/advice is greatly appreciated!

All the best

Matt.

Me I would take the N.. I like the look, I dont mind wind up to 140 - 160 and over 160 I think its good to be aware of how fast I am travelling.. I just like nakeds and fighters more..

Plus mates have reported the fairing seems to funnel hot air onto their leg making the bike feel much hotter than it is..

You need good jacket and gloves also, and buy what you will wear, dianese are selling a superb mesh thats very light airy but doesnt have that plastic feel (which would melt in a off) thats reasonable price locally too.. Sure leathers are what you really want, but if they are too hot to put on, and dont get used, they are not much good on a hanger.. I struggle to force myself into a tex alpinestars here (Phuket) and am on the hunt for a more airflow that doesnt have the plastic mesh of the joe rocket I have.

Me I would take the N.. I like the look, I dont mind wind up to 140 - 160 and over 160 I think its good to be aware of how fast I am travelling.. I just like nakeds and fighters more..

Plus mates have reported the fairing seems to funnel hot air onto their leg making the bike feel much hotter than it is..

You need good jacket and gloves also, and buy what you will wear, dianese are selling a superb mesh thats very light airy but doesnt have that plastic feel (which would melt in a off) thats reasonable price locally too.. Sure leathers are what you really want, but if they are too hot to put on, and dont get used, they are not much good on a hanger.. I struggle to force myself into a tex alpinestars here (Phuket) and am on the hunt for a more airflow that doesnt have the plastic mesh of the joe rocket I have.

Hey LOS. Thanks for the heads-up. What do you drive?

I really enjoyed my ER6F, (badged Ninja650R in LOS this year) but I know what you mean about the 4cyl, but that's a very minor concern really, as long as you don't mind having the sound of a chopper. I have never ridden an N, but I really appreciated the wind protection on the F. I am one of LivinLOS' mentioned mates that complained about the radiator heat focusing on the legs the the F, but it is not very noticeable as long as you have long pants on, which you should be wearing anyway.

The N and F are still the best deals in LOS at 245,000 and 257,000k respectively. A true sport bike the 650R isn't, I am willing to admit now. Again, I really enjoyed mine, and may get another, unless Kawi start making and selling the ZX6R in Thailand with decent price. Most of you gear heads on hear know this already, but for the noobs like me and Matt I will mention that when compared to an R6, ZXR6, etc in terms of performance and handling, there is a noticeable difference. That is a good thing for us newer riders, which I still consider myself. My last real bikes were an R6 and a CBR400RR, and I have rented a CSXR750 before. The Ninja is simply way more comfortable, but over 140kph it suffers from a very floaty, feel and was way different than the CBR and R6. Not a complaint really, as I expected this somewhat, but just so you know it's not a full sports bike. I couldn't imagine trying to ride it at that speed with no fairing.

The Ninja 650R may be "MotoGP inspired", but that must be primarily in it's looks. It's none true-sportbikyness his was really noticeable when I rode to MotoGP in Malaysia and was often alongside GSXR's, CBR's, R1's and R6's riding between 150-200kph. You won't be doing that in Samui, and indeed most areas of Thailand, but KL's roads are fantastic, and there are some fantastic roads in the Surrithani and Krabi area as well.

Still tho, a fun, reliable, sporty and best bike for the money in Thailand right now. N or F you will be happy I have no doubt.

And IIRC, Tony got the N because it came out many months before the F did and he, like me, doesn't like waiting. I'm sure he'll be along shorty to clarify. but I bet he recommends the F tho, especially if you plan on getting off the island.

Threads on N and 650R you have probably already seen:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/2010-Kawasak...bs-t288104.html

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Kawasaki-Er6-t244829.html

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Kawasaki-Er-...fo-t282282.html

As for gear, despite adherence to the helmet law being somewhere around 5-10% on Samui, (which is surprising because it has one of the highest road death rates) get yourself a decent helmet and wear it as often as you can. Even the Thai helmets such as REAL and INDEX offer decent protection and the same visibility as SHOI and ARAI. You will probably have to go Bangkok for good selection and better prices, but I am sure that shop I see there with all the bikes (between Lamai and Nathon?) can assist you with a helmet and gear.

Good luck and enjoy!

Edited by ScubaBuddha

Hey LOS. Thanks for the heads-up. What do you drive?

Street fightered 900 blade..

Had almost as much fun building it then riding it as I have been time limited last few months launching a new business.. I have both some time after Chinese new year and a gas flowed and ported head and hot cams package coming in so hope to get more road time Feb / March..

I struggle to force myself into a tex alpinestars here (Phuket) and am on the hunt for a more airflow that doesnt have the plastic mesh of the joe rocket I have.

I gotta say that I know people who have crashed in the Joe Rockets, and the came out pretty much unscathed. I know that the JR seems a little 'flimsy' but it will protect in a crash. And really, of all the jackets that I have or have had, the JR flows the most air and keeps me the coolest when I am tempted to just wear a T-shirt. I tried the A* stage perforated leather jacket, which is a nice little jacket. But does not flow nearly the same amount of air or keep me as cool.

I have the ER-6n. Much(!!) prefer the looks. However, if you want to go fast, get the F for wind protection. You can install a larger windshield too.

My N has a nice clear Puig windscreen, best 6000 baht I ever invested - I believe it makes it nearly on par with a stock F when it comes to wind on chest and helmet, but like I said you can install a better screen on the F which should make it much better still. Anyway with the Puig I can go 150 or so, and at least here in the north there aren't really any roads where you could go faster than that without putting your life on the line. 120 is a more realistic cruising speed here. Very comfortable on the N with the screen. Without - not so much.

I think it's a great beginners "real bike" too - it's just now that I can sometimes feel the limitations of the bike, took me a few months. I am still nowhere near getting 100% out of the bike though.

Oh yeah you'll need proper gear too.

I am searching for the perfect balance of safety and convenience for those shorter trips myself. For longer ones no question you'll want the whole 9 yards - boots, pants, jacket, gloves, and proper helmet. $$$$$$.

I got a Ninja 650r in august 2009, and I m very happy with it. The hot air on right side is not much of a problem, even in shorts and flipflops. Its not hot at all compared to my VTX 1800cc v-twin.

Must admit I m still riding without any protective clothing, and half of the time without a helmet. I m not proud of it, but it feels so good :)

I would make sure to have the 1000km service/oilchange at kawasaki dealer, in case you will have a later warranty claim

Again, thanks for all the information guys. It's going to be the ER-6F for for me. I like the fact they come with ABS which could be handy on the roads here on Samui...

The next big issue is blue or black...

I'm going to be up in BKK in the new few weeks so will be picking up shoei helmet, jacket, gloves, boots, etc.

Not sure when I'm will be picking up the ER-6F, sometime within the next couple of months. Can't wait!

I have checked out all the other threads. These bikes rock!

Thanks again,

Matt.

I got a Ninja 650r in august 2009, and I m very happy with it. The hot air on right side is not much of a problem, even in shorts and flipflops. Its not hot at all compared to my VTX 1800cc v-twin.

Must admit I m still riding without any protective clothing, and half of the time without a helmet. I m not proud of it, but it feels so good :)

I would make sure to have the 1000km service/oilchange at kawasaki dealer, in case you will have a later warranty claim

No worries. I will make sure I get each major one done at Kawasaki. Is it true I should run the bike in for 50km, then go change the oil?

I'm sure I read that somewhere?

There are so many different opinions for running the bike in... ride it hard, don't let it go above 4,000rpm, etc, etc. I'm just going to drive it normally as I would, but not over-rev it. Should be fine.

Matt.

Yeah.. until it doesnt !!!

I admit I wear long shorts sometimes, over the knee heavy canvas ones but still.. Had skin grafts before and they aint fun..

Some proper bike jeans are on my wishlist for my next euro trip.

Must admit I m still riding without any protective clothing, and half of the time without a helmet. I m not proud of it, but it feels so good :D

Yeah.. until it doesnt !!!

I admit I wear long shorts sometimes, over the knee heavy canvas ones but still.. Had skin grafts before and they aint fun..

Some proper bike jeans are on my wishlist for my next euro trip.

I know, I know

had 2 major accidents when I was 17, and kept the rubberside down since, but one day I will regret riding with shorts and slippers. use fullface helmet when riding Ninja more than 120 kmh though. thats an improvement :)

Again, thanks for all the information guys. It's going to be the ER-6F for for me. I like the fact they come with ABS which could be handy on the roads here on Samui...

I'm going to be up in BKK in the new few weeks so will be picking up shoei helmet, jacket, gloves, boots, etc.

Not sure when I'm will be picking up the ER-6F, sometime within the next couple of months. Can't wait!

Thanks again,

Matt.

Congrats on your new bike Matt!

ER6n/ER6f- it's a tough choice really- same bike but do you like fairings or naked? Up to you! If most of your riding is at lower speeds, say below ~120-140km/hr then I'd vote for the ER6n, but if you expect to be going on long distance rides or tend to ride at faster speeds then you'll be grateful for the fairings and tall screen of the Ninja 650R. Personally if most of my riding was going to be on an island like Samui I'd go for the ER6n- somehow naked and islands just seem to go together :)

Throw some enduro tires on an ER6n and you'll be able to go just about anywhere.

0922PirelliMT60ER6BkSm.jpg

Look forward to seeing you choice.

As for shops in Bangkok to source gear, the most popular with the widest selection are still Paddock, Stadium, Dirtshop, PandaRider, Fastcorner, Red Baron, K-Speed... hmmm, I think I'm forgetting some but these should give you a good start.

Feel free to give me a shout when you're in the Big Mango and if I have some free time I'll be happy to take you around to some of these shops.

Ride On!

Tony

Thanks again,

Matt.

Congrats on your new bike Matt!

ER6n/ER6f- it's a tough choice really- same bike but do you like fairings or naked? Up to you! If most of your riding is at lower speeds, say below ~120-140km/hr then I'd vote for the ER6n, but if you expect to be going on long distance rides or tend to ride at faster speeds then you'll be grateful for the fairings and tall screen of the Ninja 650R. Personally if most of my riding was going to be on an island like Samui I'd go for the ER6n- somehow naked and islands just seem to go together :)

Throw some enduro tires on an ER6n and you'll be able to go just about anywhere.

Look forward to seeing you choice.

As for shops in Bangkok to source gear, the most popular with the widest selection are still Paddock, Stadium, Dirtshop, PandaRider, Fastcorner, Red Baron, K-Speed... hmmm, I think I'm forgetting some but these should give you a good start.

Feel free to give me a shout when you're in the Big Mango and if I have some free time I'll be happy to take you around to some of these shops.

Ride On!

Tony

Thanks for the info Tony. It's going to be fairing all the way, I love the look of it, plus I plan to do some high speeds on the way to Suratthani and back when taking the bike for a service!

My main question for you is regarding exhausts!? I see you tried a few. What is the best sounding exhaust for this bike? And is it a simple case of unbolting the old one and bolting the new one in? I worked on cars for years back in the UK. So confident with this.

What about the breathing on these bikes? Do they have a restricted air-box? Can you drop a K&N filter in and open up the airbox for easier breathing?

Thanks in advance,

Matt.

If the fairing really offers that much wind buffer - think about this - it will also feel a lot hotter when you ride because you don't have the wind cooling you down.

I have not tried the fairing version, but I've been riding the naked version quite a bit all around Thailand. Personally, I like small twisty roads and find that going above 110-120 is not the greatest idea here in Thailand because of 3rd world driving conditions. So my point is... most of the time you are likely to have slower speeds and the naked bike will be much better most of the time.

Also, if they offer the bike without ABS, get it. ABS is junk on this bike. Much worse braking than on my R6/Gsxr600/KTM SMC. I would rather have steel lines+HH pads. Likewise, suspension is pretty crappy, but you probably won't notice as a new rider... Otherwise, good value bike.

Also, if they offer the bike without ABS, get it. ABS is junk on this bike. Much worse braking than on my R6/Gsxr600/KTM SMC. I would rather have steel lines+HH pads. Likewise, suspension is pretty crappy, but you probably won't notice as a new rider... Otherwise, good value bike.

Uuuhhhhh... ABS already prevented one accident for me, and let me drive like a maniac through the rain (thereby cancelling out the safety advantage the ABS brings... oh well :) ).... also prevented my rear wheel from slipping quite a few times. ABS is a very, very good idea.

While a good rider in controlled conditions can brake much quicker than the ABS could, you are a new rider in totally wild and uncontrolled Samui - ABS wins. Even experienced riders... I don't believe that they can brake better in those situations where the ABS saves your ass, because those are the situations where you were not paying attention or going too fast or other emergencies where you don't have time think about it much. And they are also very rare, so it's not like you get a lot of time practicing this unless you are a professional racer. You'd have to react perfectly to a very low frequency event.

I guess you could make a point practicing emergency braking every day. I actually do from time to time, just not regularly. It's a good idea.

I have the ER-6n. Much(!!) prefer the looks. However, if you want to go fast, get the F for wind protection. You can install a larger windshield too.

My N has a nice clear Puig windscreen, best 6000 baht I ever invested - I believe it makes it nearly on par with a stock F when it comes to wind on chest and helmet, but like I said you can install a better screen on the F which should make it much better still. Anyway with the Puig I can go 150 or so, and at least here in the north there aren't really any roads where you could go faster than that without putting your life on the line. 120 is a more realistic cruising speed here. Very comfortable on the N with the screen. Without - not so much.

I think it's a great beginners "real bike" too - it's just now that I can sometimes feel the limitations of the bike, took me a few months. I am still nowhere near getting 100% out of the bike though.

hello Everybody !

I bought a ER6-n 4 months ago and mounted the large Givi windshield intended for the F. It is quite efficient and looks nice.

I had a rack made on order (computer designe) which takes only 3 minutes to put on or take off, for my top case.

12.000 km on the clock already, mostly on long trips (I use my 2004 supefour Vtec for short trips)

I prefer the sound of the 4 cylinders, but I like the ER6n which is a great beginners "real bike" with more than enough power for Thailand.

I am sixty, have had bikes and bikes since I was 16 (last sport bike was a R1) and I am still happy with this last one. 120 is a reasonable cruising speed indeed ! I have tried to speed up a few times when I found an opportunity, top speed was 197 on my GPS. Not so bad for the 72 HP...

Enjoy it !

Claude

post-91243-1264888392_thumb.jpg

post-91243-1264888854_thumb.jpg

Uuuhhhhh... ABS already prevented one accident for me, and let me drive like a maniac through the rain (thereby cancelling out the safety advantage the ABS brings... oh well :) ).... also prevented my rear wheel from slipping quite a few times. ABS is a very, very good idea.

While a good rider in controlled conditions can brake much quicker than the ABS could, you are a new rider in totally wild and uncontrolled Samui - ABS wins. Even experienced riders... I don't believe that they can brake better in those situations where the ABS saves your ass, because those are the situations where you were not paying attention or going too fast or other emergencies where you don't have time think about it much. And they are also very rare, so it's not like you get a lot of time practicing this unless you are a professional racer. You'd have to react perfectly to a very low frequency event.

I guess you could make a point practicing emergency braking every day. I actually do from time to time, just not regularly. It's a good idea.

I was very sceptical to ABS on Ninja 650r, I like to be in control, not beeing controlled. I find the ABS brakes well adjusted, dont interfere when road is paved, but does kick in when there is sand or a wet spot. I love ABS on this bike, and I m sure they will save my a-s one day.

Faired or not, I find faired to be cool enough even around town

hello Everybody !

I bought a ER6-n 4 months ago and mounted the large Givi windshield intended for the F. It is quite efficient and looks nice.

I had a rack made on order (computer designe) which takes only 3 minutes to put on or take off, for my top case.

12.000 km on the clock already, mostly on long trips (I use my 2004 supefour Vtec for short trips)

I prefer the sound of the 4 cylinders, but I like the ER6n which is a great beginners "real bike" with more than enough power for Thailand.

I am sixty, have had bikes and bikes since I was 16 (last sport bike was a R1) and I am still happy with this last one. 120 is a reasonable cruising speed indeed ! I have tried to speed up a few times when I found an opportunity, top speed was 197 on my GPS. Not so bad for the 72 HP...

Enjoy it !

Claude

Salut Claude- like the way you have the box sitting over the pillion seat rather than hanging off the back, the folded license plate is a nice trick too :)

Genial!

Bonne Route,

Tony

just a few thoughts on topic.

ninja 650R [ER-6F]

pros: excellent price and assured correct rego, insurance etc for farangs in thailand. no worries of 'grey books'

great looking bike, only real 'sports looking' bike you can buy here without having mega baht to spend.

instrumentation looks great.

fitted with brigestones as as standard

easily enough power for thailand [esp phuket and samui]

easy pillion position

servicing no problem and spares and parts cheap

has 'some' underseat storage

"feels" quite fast when you actually going quite slow!! unlike say a GSX-R which is the opposite!!

it has a fuel gauge AND a clock!!

very adjustable brake and clutch lever settings

cons:

awful handlebars and riding position. it is neither upright nor sport low [but you can get after market replecements 'bars]

quiet horrible seating position.

if you are used to 'real' sports bikes it doesnt give gerat confidence in turns when you lean it over

very hot around the legs even when wearing jeans [esp at traffic lights!]

only one headlight is on in low beam mode which make thais always say' you lights broken...them not working!!]

some parts on the bike suffer corrosion very early on in its life[like about a month!!]

it suffers a bit from low end misfire and splutters when you want some 'torque'

it feels quite 'heavy and truck like' even though its actual weight is quite low[200kg i think?]

re protective clothes.

if you dont want to spend a fortune but dont fancy leaving your skin on the soi if you come off these are some excellent products i found and bought in thailand [from 'dirtshop' and 'paddock' , online. good service no problem, fast delivery]

*'Shift airbourne mesh jacket.. very cool with good airflow, CE approved armour on elbow shouder and [optional] back areas.

*Real 'stealth'helmet. full face, made in thailand great price, good airflow..looks pretty trick too

*RS taichi 002 boots . incredibly comfortable with good proection and positive feel for bike riding while at the same time being a comfy as nikes for walking around.

* any hydration pack that you can wear [backpack style]under your jacket with a tube that can clipped or placed in your helmet near your mouth.makes for longer riding without always having to stop for drinks. mine is a 'camelback' brand

i always wear gloves no matter what. i have one pair ,simple cloth style that are some thai made brand, but for longer rides i always wear a decent sport bike glove , mine are alpine stars GP-2..a bit of overkill but you wont lose your finger in a prang....but they do get hot and sweaty and hard to get off after more than an hour on the bike.

hope it helps ..

bye

hello Everybody !

Enjoy it !

Claude

Salut Claude- like the way you have the box sitting over the pillion seat rather than hanging off the back, the folded license plate is a nice trick too :)

Genial!

Bonne Route,

Tony

Salut Tony and Hello to all Bikers !

I am now on a trip to the 3 Pagodas pass, will post a few pictures about modifications when I come back.

I did not want the original top case and side cases because it looks awful when you take them off and you cannot take the rack off easily.

But my solution is only for "lone riders"...

If I need to use the rear sit, only 2 knots and 3 minutes.

have a nice day !

Claude

hello Everybody !

Wow, love that windshield! Looks easily twice the size of the one I have :) I had no idea you could just mount an F windshield on the N... I guess you had some custom parts made for that?!

@illy thanks for the clothing tips, much appreciated, I was looking for some good boots...

hello Everybody !

Wow, love that windshield! Looks easily twice the size of the one I have :) I had no idea you could just mount an F windshield on the N... I guess you had some custom parts made for that?!

@illy thanks for the clothing tips, much appreciated, I was looking for some good boots...

the large Givi Windshiels is easy to adapt to the ER6n. I did it myself. If you need advice, just tell me.

Hello everybody !

I adapted a deflector on the right side of my ER6-N and it is quite efficient. Maybe you can do that on the "F" as well ?

post-91243-1265703843_thumb.jpg

post-91243-1265703918_thumb.jpg

I prefer the N. I sold my fairing and turned a BMW R 45 into a naked bike and loved it! Less weight is a good thing...

It makes sense to change the oil as early as after the first 100-200 km. try to limit the revs and shift frequently, maybe go up and down some hill?

Helmet - it may pay to order it in Europe or America when you care for safety norms.The local gear I saw is often priced beyond what I would want to pay. Gloves for 3,960 and such. Enjou your new bike!

Chris