Red Plates

jjjetski

Hey all

Just got a new truck. Got red license plates. I want to go on a little road trip, but people tell me that I have to wait for the white plates before I can take the truck off the island (Phuket). Other people tell me that it's ok. to go cruising as long as I don't do it after 6 pm. If I ask around more I'll probably get some more interesting answers :)

So please help me out. What are the rules (or where can I find them)??

Cheers

You are only allowed to drive daytime and you are not allowed to leave the province. No driving in the evenings regardless of it's on Phuket or not.

Those are the rules, you decide if you want to follow them or not :)

You are allowed to leave the province if you have red plates with book. The trip needs to be logged in the book.

If you do not have book and want to leave the province, I suggest you contact your dealer and get proper redplates with book, deposit 2000 baht normally required

I seem to always have a vehicle on redplate, and have never had a problem out of province or in the night as long as trip is logged in book.

The night time rule is true.....although does not seem to be enforced. As far as leaving the province, I drove out of province and was stopped by the BIB, no problem with being out of province, but was told that officially you need to fill in the log in the Brown book.......got off with a warning, no tea money paid :)

Posting same time as Kata.......same experience.

Edited by CDNinKS

Just going through the same at the moment, picking up the motor at the weekend.

From what I understand the red plates with book are not issued automatically, so you need to ask for them and then pay a deposit?

If you do not do this the red plates you have are pretty useless and you "should not" leave the province until white plates are issued?

How long does it normally take to get the white plates issued?

Many Thanks

From what I understand the red plates with book are not issued automatically, so you need to ask for them and then pay a deposit?

If you do not do this the red plates you have are pretty useless and you "should not" leave the province until white plates are issued?

Many Thanks

not only ask for them, demand them before paying your motor, and yes 2000 baht redplatedeposit seems normal.

the fake redplates/no book are usually ignored by police locally, but out of province they can cause major problems

dealer must provide white plates and reg book within 90 days. to get needed docs to register they must pay motor to supplyer first, which some delay as long as possible..............

Those do appear to be the rules as stated by kbb and CDNinks.

I bought my car in Bangkok, so it has redplates from Bangkok, but I live in Phuket and drive often at night both on and outside of Phuket. Never once had any porblems, and I have been on redplates for 5 months because the dealer lost my contact info. (Finally got in touch with him yesterday) Anyway, I don't give it a second thought. I do have the logbook but never use it. The dealer didn't metnion aything about it, I just noticed it in the glovebox one day.

A guy reporting to me got caught by the police only a week ago for driving a red plate at 7 PM in Bangkok. Guess I should let him leave earlier so that he has time to get home before it gets dark :)

I was fined in November 2009 late night in BKK for not logging the trip in book, never been fined for driving redplate at night

I only changed mine last week, and before that, I drove even after midnight. I was stopped during the festive period for alcohol test and nothing more. I also drove several times after dark to Nakorn Nayok from Bangkok without any problem. You'll learn as you start driving around. Just fill up a page in the book you have in your possession with details regarding your destination.

I once took a brand new car with most of the plastic coversfrom Bangkok to Samui, even most of the Islanders have only about this particular model on BP motoring, so it was scrutinised everywhere it was parked, and I only do long distances at night. Passed through several checkpoints and put on the boat on surat. No one asked questions.

The red plates have so many rules that you even dont bother to start complying. Even daytime driving within your province needs to be logged before you pull out of your driveway.

Actually I was asked if I wanted red plates or not. :) Had to wait a little over a week for red plates to be available and just received a notice in the mail yesterday that the permanent plates are in now. Took about 2.5 months to arrive. Oh, deposit of 3500 Baht for the red which seems the standard fee in Chiangmai, which will be refunded upon return of the plates and book.

Thanx for the feed back guys

Decided to play it safe and swabbed cars with a friend for a few days :)

Still would have liked to take my new truck out for a longer ride :D

The motor forum has a so much nicer tone than some of the local forums :D

Cheers all

I have the brown book since I bought my MU7. The dealer said that I should erase the old date and put in the date I'm driving (in pencil) and show that to the cops if I get stopped. Been to Korat, Ayauttha and driven at night many times, driving through police check points and the police never stopped me. My neighbour bought a new car recently (Camry) and the police stopped him the second night he was out driving. Car type related?

Edited by bkkmick

Red plate, after 6pm, farang driver, Honda Accord, in Bangkok = shakedown

Red plate, after 6pm, farang driver, BMW 7, in Bangkok = No problem

Red Plate, 2 am, farang driver, no brown book, out of province, Vigo pickup = shakedown

As above with brown book but no trip logged = shakedown

No plate, no insurance, all hours of day/night for about 2 months, farang driver, Honda CR-V, Udon Thani = No problem

All the above happened to me over about 3 years so it depends entirely on how hungry the traffic cop is IMHO.

it is a brown book that comes (or should come) with the red plates.

Okay...I know I'm dumb about some things, but I am trying to learn.

So, in a few weeks a buy a new Honda.

I will get a brown book when I get the red plates.

I live in Bangkok, so if I want to drive down to Phetburi or out to Issan for a few days I just log the trip into the brown book which is in my possession, keep it in the glove compartment, and if stopped just show what I wrote in the brown book?

Okay, I know I'm being dense, but it just sounds so dumb...I don't understand the purpose at all.

Straighten me out...please! :D:)

it is a brown book that comes (or should come) with the red plates.

Okay...I know I'm dumb about some things, but I am trying to learn.

So, in a few weeks a buy a new Honda.

I will get a brown book when I get the red plates.

I live in Bangkok, so if I want to drive down to Phetburi or out to Issan for a few days I just log the trip into the brown book which is in my possession, keep it in the glove compartment, and if stopped just show what I wrote in the brown book?

Okay, I know I'm being dense, but it just sounds so dumb...I don't understand the purpose at all.

Straighten me out...please! :D:)

yepp, but you are supposed to log every trip within BKK too. log a triplocally, and change the date every new trip within BKK

purpose? living in los is to do as required, not asking why :D

Many Thanks

not only ask for them, demand them before paying your motor, and yes 2000 baht redplatedeposit seems normal.

the fake redplates/no book are usually ignored by police locally, but out of province they can cause major problems

dealer must provide white plates and reg book within 90 days. to get needed docs to register they must pay motor to supplyer first, which some delay as long as possible..............

Cheers mate,

Always a great source of knowledge on the subject.

Funny I just read the other topic about the 5k deposit not gettingreturned and it slipped my mind that I had paid that and it should have come off the deposit. Lets see if they try and pull that little chestnut !!

I have bought 3 cars in LOS, first time the red plate deposit was 3,000 baht, next 2 times 2,000. If I didn't get my deposit back, they would not be getting the red plate back.....

Edited by CDNinKS

I have bought 3 cars in LOS, first time the red plate deposit was 3,000 baht, next 2 times 2,000. If I didn't get my deposit back, they would not be getting the red plate back.....

goes withour saying, cash refund on returning plates. Nissan Phuket is pulling some silly stuff about 5 days to transfer funds. I said I come back with the plates when I see my money in my ac. They where able to find the deposit in 10 minutes. :)