Getting A New Marriage Visa

Hi all.

Having just married a Thai lady, what is the process/requirements for obtaining a renewable marriage visa? (non-imm O/A, right?)

If anyone here has recently gone through this process and can provide some useful, up-to-date info (how much to show in bank? photos of wedding necessary? map/photos of dwelling? etc. etc.) I would be very grateful.

I realise that many of the answers I'm looking for are probably scattered throughout this forum, but being new to it have no idea which threads to begin reading! If someone could point me to the most informative threads, that would also be great.

Thanks all, Himachal.

OA is for retirement from home country. There is no marriage visa. For a one year extension of stay for marriage, if male, you require 400k in Thai bank or 40k income and have a non immigrant visa entry stamp (and a bunch of paperwork). For a 60 day extension of stay no financial and less paperwork. If you meet the requirement for one year extension of stay but do not have a non immigrant visa entry immigration can convert for an extra 2,000 baht fee.

Thanks, Lopburi3. Yes, I have a non-immigrant B visa now (which I've renewed 3 times with my present job.) I can put 400K in an account in my name, too.

Interested to know what the "bunch of other paperwork" is, and the procedure involved, and whether any particular immigration office is easier (or must I use the office of the province where we live?)

Thanks again, H.

You have to do where you live. Wife has to be with you with her ID and Home Register. Proof of money in account 2 months and bank letter. Photos together in and outside house with number visible. Map to home. Marriage certificate and copy of ledger entry of marriage. 4x6cm current photo (within six months) and 1,900 baht. Two trips 30 days apart to Immigration. You may have to provide two witness to your living together (this is a new thing at some offices). Best to get a list from the office you will use.

• 3 weeks later...

I went in 2 months ago for this visa and was told I needed a lot more (in PHuket immigration)

They wanted: maps showing where i lived, pictures of me and my wife and child before he was born, when she was pregnant, every year with the 3 of us together since he was born, they told my wife she had to change her house registration to our present home.

We did all of these things and came back.

The man then only asked for my passport, copies of such and the bank info.

He then told me to sit down, I waited 10 minutes, and he gave me back my passport with another year added.

I asked him if this was a marriage visa and he said "you don't want one of those, this is better" and wouldn't talk to me anymore.

I am going to hire a lawyer next time. (my wife says he just wants a bribe)

No, he did not wanted a bribe. What he asked was according to policy.

If you are over 50 and have more than 800,000 in the bank immigration often prefers to give an extension based on retirement, as that is a lot less paperwork for both you and them.

No, he did not wanted a bribe. What he asked was according to policy.

If you are over 50 and have more than 800,000 in the bank immigration often prefers to give an extension based on retirement, as that is a lot less paperwork for both you and them.

So, how do you get the marriage visa (if you are over 50)?

It's what i asked for, had all the paperwork for, filled out the form for, and what I want (much easier to keep 400k in the bank than 800k)

Immigration is often very reluctant to go for the extension based on marriage if you meet the requirements for retirement. it is simply a question of less paperwork for them and you. So explain why you want an extension based on marriage instead of the easier extension based on retirement. Keep asking for it and if need be ask to speak to a senior officer.