Doi Inthanon Cycling Race In February?

wynzlo

Just heard about this casual ride up to the summit, sounds like a blast. Last year there were around 600 riders. Anyone from CM planning on heading down this year?

I found one thread on ThaiMTB via Google Translate and managed to pick out a few details from the gibberish. Looks like it's happening the morning of February 14th. If anyone's got a link for some English details that would make things easier.

I was there last year - and it was great. It is on 14th of Feb this year and I am planning on going down there from CM.

How do you sign up ? Where exactly is the start ? What time ?

Visiting CM for a few weeks and would love to join in.

Start was in Chom Thong at 8:00 and it was possible to sign up in the morning. The fee was 250baht as I recall - in addition to the tough and beautiful 50km ride (2500 heightmeters) we got a Doi Inthanon t-shirt. water on the road and lunch at the top. Great arrangement!

"Just heard about this casual ride up to the summit,"

For most of the participants it's an accomplishment just to finish, but for some it's very much a race.

There's no info to be found in English but I'm sure when/if it's available it will be posted here:

http://forum.bamboo-lake-village.com/viewt...p?f=9&t=151

btw, if anyone is looking for a flatter race there will be 800-1000 racers doing 33 and 66 km races on Sunday morning, 31 Jan, in Sankamphaeng. First race is at 8:00am. Full info on the Thai MTB site linked earlier. No info in English that I know of.

For most of the participants it's an accomplishment just to finish, but for some it's very much a race.

Sarcasm doesn't come through very well on the web. I'm not too confident I'll be able to finish either :)

I'm sure the hardcore folks just ride to the park from CM, but how do most people from CM get down there with their bikes? Were there a good number of songtaews going back and forth in past years?

Sarcasm doesn't come through very well on the web. I'm not too confident I'll be able to finish either :)

I'm sure the hardcore folks just ride to the park from CM, but how do most people from CM get down there with their bikes? Were there a good number of songtaews going back and forth in past years?

I noted the sarcasm but wanted others to know that many of the participants aren't really racing. For the majority of the riders it really is just the accomplishment of finishing.

I only know of one rider who rode down to the race. Everyone else either charters a songthiew or finds friends with a car or truck.

I noted the sarcasm but wanted others to know that many of the participants aren't really racing. For the majority of the riders it really is just the accomplishment of finishing.

I only know of one rider who rode down to the race. Everyone else either charters a songthiew or finds friends with a car or truck.

Is it possible to spend the night in Chom Tong or nearby ?

• 2 weeks later...

It was Feb 14th. Lots of talking and speeches.

The race actually started about 7:30

Over 400 riders this year.

brutal ride. The 48k part is ok.

The 2000 meters vertical is rough.

Some people chose to start half way up the mountain, but

It still looked like 80% of the riders had to walk their bike part of the way.

And I bet 90% of the Thai riders stopped to "inspect" their bike in the middle

of the steeper parts. Safety first! Lots of long safety inspections.

I heard the winning time was 2:28.

Amazing.

Yeah it was a nice race yesterday.. Fortunatelly I was up there 3 weeks ago so I knew what was coming. Im here for cycling training so I just had my roadbike with me.. and that with a 39/23! Pretty hard work and these steep hills, but I managed not to stop once.

My time on the certificate was 2h11min! I was really shocked about this cause I was expecting something like 2h30. The first guy with ATB had about 2h36. So Dinner is waiting... Cheers

Yeah it was a nice race yesterday.. Fortunatelly I was up there 3 weeks ago so I knew what was coming. Im here for cycling training so I just had my roadbike with me.. and that with a 39/23! Pretty hard work and these steep hills, but I managed not to stop once.

My time on the certificate was 2h11min! I was really shocked about this cause I was expecting something like 2h30. The first guy with ATB had about 2h36. So Dinner is waiting... Cheers

Seriously? You averaged over 20kmh up that dam_n mountain? I was happy just to finish with my feet on the pedals.

It was a great (albeit painful) ride though, with quite a sense of camaraderie throughout. Even the most serious riders mustered a smile and a thumbs-up while passing each other...at least for the first 40k.

If anyone catches an online list of the finishing times please post.

Yeah at the beginning I tried to keep up the speed a little, after 1km I was alone with Thomas, the guy from Bamboo-Lake-Village. As it was that easy to get away from the beginning I pushed what I could. Around the Pagodas I had some cramps, but everybody had enough pain to get up there.. It was a very special thing when I passed the upper startarea and everybody was cheering... hope to be next year back!

If anybody can find some pics, pls post a link here, or send it directly to stephanwenk at hotmail.com

I found tons, but im not on a single one :) Here it is: http:// www. thaimtb.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=152523

I thought the official race rules required that a mountain bike be used, since most Thais have only one bike and it's an MTB. I was also under the impression that the officials wouldn't record anyone's time who used a road bike. Congrats anyway. it's a tough ride.

If anybody can find some pics, pls post a link here, or send it directly to stephanwenk at hotmail.com

I found tons, but im not on a single one :)

Perhaps you were too dam_n fast for the cameras. Slow down next time :D Here are a some threads full of photos, maybe you can find yourself in the pile...

1. http://g2.buildboard.com/viewtopic.php/6/4636/615/0/
  2. http://www.thaimtb.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=152523
  3. http://www.thaimtb.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=152931
  4. http://www.thaimtb.com/forum/viewtopic.php...&start=6855

I thought the official race rules required that a mountain bike be used, since most Thais have only one bike and it's an MTB.

This was my understanding also. And I give them a ton of credit for it, because the ride was tough enough on a set of narrow slicks.

And I give them a ton of credit for it, because the ride was tough enough on a set of narrow slicks.

climbing is always easier on a nice road bike.

Mine is only 14 lbs & for climbing I know it is way easier than any mountain bike I've owned.

That looks like a good ride. Congrats to all who enjoyed it.

Ok couple of things. Yes it is easier with roadbike, no question about that. Still, I heared Alex, the guy from Laos has an ATB of 7kg. I was in Thailand for training and had just my roadbike with me. Thats why I dont count for the official result.

The last thing is that its bullshit that all mountain races in Thailand are for ATBs. ATBs are for Cross Country and not for asphalt. I mean its a very tough ride and most of them had to walk anyway. Dont get me wrong, I have big respect of everyone who finished, but i hope you get my point. Nobody is doing ATB races on the road in Europe. And if they wanna use an ATB instead of a roadbike nobody would blame you for doing so. Or make 2 categories at least.

Thx for the links :)

Ok couple of things. Yes it is easier with roadbike, no question about that. Still, I heared Alex, the guy from Laos has an ATB of 7kg. I was in Thailand for training and had just my roadbike with me. Thats why I dont count for the official result.

The last thing is that its bullshit that all mountain races in Thailand are for ATBs. ATBs are for Cross Country and not for asphalt. I mean its a very tough ride and most of them had to walk anyway. Dont get me wrong, I have big respect of everyone who finished, but i hope you get my point. Nobody is doing ATB races on the road in Europe. And if they wanna use an ATB instead of a roadbike nobody would blame you for doing so. Or make 2 categories at least.

I agree with what your saying.

It is odd that so many have MB's when as you say the majority ride pave.

I think many feel they are better suited to non perfect pavement.

Then again I guess they have not seen the Spring classics & the condition of cobbles :D

Congrats on a good ride

Agreed. I have to assume it's due to low availability and possibly a low coolness factor of road bikes. And as someone mentioned before, those with a single bike will obviously have an ATB for more versatility.

Road bikes (well, road tires at least) are one of those things where once you try them, it's very hard to go back. The thought of riding smooth asphalt on big knobby tires makes me shudder.

FYI -- Alex wasn't even using his own bike. He borrowed it. Perhaps there should be a rule that riders should have to prove they own the bike they are riding before being allowed to race.

The rules were set up to encourage as many Thai riders to enter as possible, and 700 did. I don't think the organizers cared about a couple of Swiss and German riders.

Maybe "Nobody is doing ATB races on the road in Europe" because too many European riders can all afford 200,000 baht road bikes. I bet half the riders in the race on Sunday were using bikes that cost less than 20,000 baht.

The real question is how many Thai riders who did the race on 12-13 kg MTB's would have beaten you if they rode a comparable road bike to yours?

• 5 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...