Man dies in Bangkok after utility shaft lid breaks, causing a fatal fall

manhole-cover-3-1.jpg

A sad incident took place today in downtown Bangkok. A man, aged between 55 and 60, lost his life after falling into a deep utility shaft located at the entrance of Soi Lat Phrao 49. His body was recovered from the 20-meter deep shaft, leading the authorities to launch an urgent investigation.

He was just crossing the road when the accident happened. He fell into a duct meant for electric wires. The shaft, filled with water, was covered with a decayed wood lid, which broke under his weight.

Despite quick action by the emergency team, the man died at the spot.

The emergency crews were able to get the man's body out of the deep shaft by noon. It took them more than an hour using pulley systems.

The investigators are trying to find out how this incident happened. They are looking into the condition of the manhole cover and the maintenance of the utility shaft. They found out that the wooden lid of the shaft was rotted, possibly from constant watering of the nearby plants, which might have caused the wood to decay.

Initial reports say that local enforcement officers, who were there when the man fell, tried but failed to save him.

They had warned people repeatedly not to cross the road at that spot and suggested using a nearby pedestrian bridge instead.

The chief of the Chokchai Police Station said that contractors would be questioned as part of the investigation. They need to find out if there was any negligence involved in this tragic event, as the shaft is part of the Metropolitan Electricity Authority's infrastructure.

The deceased man is believed to be a local resident. The police are working quickly to find out more about the circumstances surrounding this sad incident.

This accident has raised questions about the safety of the city's street infrastructure, especially considering the ongoing expansion of the electric train network in Bangkok.

Photo courtesy of The Thaiger

news-logo-btm.jpg

-- 2024-05-03

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

• Like 1
  • Sad 4

Posted (edited)

This was an update report in the Thai media,

“This incident occurred at the entrance of Lat Phrao Soi 49.

The metal cover for the utility hole, where this accident occurred, was one of the 150 metal covers that were stolen during a project to lay down, underground, electrical cables,  A temporary cover made of plywood was being used, said Thitiwut Ngernkhlai, the deputy governor of the Metropolitan Electricity Authority (MEA).

The plywood was 1 cm thick, and the temporary cover was awaiting replacement by a concrete slab. The contractor stated that the thickness of the temporary cover was deemed sufficient, considering the hole was in the middle of the road and not at a crossing point. Witnesses reported the man was running across the road before suddenly disappearing into the hole.

Thitiwut admitted that the incident happened due to the negligence of the MEA, and compensation will be paid to the victim's family. Measures will be taken to ensure that such incidents do not happen again, he added.

Bangkok Governor Chadchart Sittipunt said that even if the project was not being done by the Bangkok Metropolitan Administration, they cannot avoid some responsibility.“

IMG_2602.png

IMG_2605.jpeg

Edited by Georgealbert

Safety first....but don't forget to wear at all times the strongest amulet you can afford + full body tattoos for  belt and braces safety approach :tongue:

• Confused 2

26 minutes ago, snoop1130 said:

They found out that the wooden lid of the shaft was rotted, possibly from constant watering of the nearby plants, which might have caused the wood to decay.

Yer recon who'd have thunk.

27 minutes ago, snoop1130 said:

They had warned people repeatedly not to cross the road at that spot and suggested using a nearby pedestrian bridge instead.

Climbing up those stairs in this heat are you kidding me, and what about the disabled? time Thailand built pedestrian underpasses that all could use. 

Of course this is negligence even one of the gardeners could have fallen down it. Mucking Forons. 

34 minutes ago, snoop1130 said:

They need to find out if there was any negligence involved

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Georgealbert said:

The metal cover for the utility hole, where this accident occurred, was one of the 150 metal covers that were stolen during a project to lay down, underground, electrical cables,  A temporary cover made of plywood was being used, said Thitiwut Ngernkhlai, the deputy governor of the Metropolitan Electricity Authority (MEA).

The plywood was 1 cm thick, and the temporary cover was awaiting replacement by a concrete slab. The contractor stated that the thickness of the temporary cover was deemed sufficient, considering the hole was in the middle of the road and not at a crossing point. Witnesses reported the man was running across the road before suddenly disappearing into the hole.

Thitiwut admitted that the incident happened due to the negligence of the MEA, and compensation will be paid to the victim's family. Measures will be taken to ensure that such incidents do not happen again, he added.

Bangkok Governor Chadchart Sittipunt said that even if the project was not being done by the Bangkok Metropolitan Administration, they cannot avoid some responsibility.“

IMG_2602.png

IMG_2605.jpeg

RPReplay_Final1714719041.mov 25.48 MB · 0 downloads

Should have put the barriers and cones up before, but as with many things in La La land they wait until at least one has died before addressing death traps. They couldn't even put a road sign high enough until a few had injured themselves. 

• Confused 2
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, brianthainess said:

Should have put the barriers and cones up before, but as with many things in La La land they wait until at least one has died before addressing death traps. They couldn't even put a road sign high enough until a few had injured themselves. 

That reads like you are thinking of your homeland, but you are not there.....🤭

• Confused 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, worgeordie said:

So many ways to die in Thailand ,many of them avoidable, if only things were maintained.

regards Worgeordie

It's not even about Maintenance it doing a job correctly, 'Duty of Care'.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, transam said:

That reads like you are thinking of your homeland, but you are not there.....🤭

No I'm thinking like a normal person who should do his job correctly or be sacked. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Just now, brianthainess said:

No I'm thinking like a normal person who should do his job correctly or be sacked. 

As I said, you think you are back home..........:coffee1:

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

14 minutes ago, transam said:
15 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

you're right. these people have a clear inability to think. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, snoop1130 said:

"Don't cross there.  That manhole has a dangerously rotted wooden lid."

They tried their best.  What more could they have done?

• Haha 2

Just now, stoner said:

Weeeell, I used to work on similar stuff over half a century back, we never had fancy safety barriers either, it took a looooooooooooooong time for all that stuff to become the way it is now.

So, in LOS, still learning, I don't think we should be surprised, I mean, just look at the supply electrics, NOW.................😂

• Confused 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

13 minutes ago, stoner said:

In many cases I think your correct   in other cases they are in

"only following orders" mode  in other cases it the

"pay peanuts get monkeys" problem 

and in a large percentage of cases i'd suspect all 3

cases combined  producing the almost unbelievable daily events we read and witness.

We just watched this on the 6pm news and a very sad and preventable death.

Still, nothing surprises me. I recall a huge unprotected hole that would swallow a car in the middle of a main road near Thong Lor back in 2009. 

37 minutes ago, transam said:

You can Thai bash as much as you like, but I am telling you, we were just as bad when I was doing that type of work.

LOS is not a first World country in 2024, so back off the, I am a know better farangy thingy......🤭

what are you on about ? you proved my point with your comment. well back in my day we were just as bad but now we have it sorted. 

back in the day here and now is same same. 

in 2024 LOS should pretty much be a first world country is kind of my point. but you keep on telling me i am bashing. 

typical. 

• Confused 3
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Georgealbert said:

IMG_2602.png

IMG_2605.jpeg

RPReplay_Final1714719041.mov 25.48 MB · 0 downloads

This was on Thai TV this evening, they said the same thing the original manhole covers were stolen.

Thai tv said on more than one occasion, the manhole was Sip-Har, meters deep 15 meters in English, not 20 m.

My first thought was why put utility cables in so deep ??.

2 hours ago, transam said:
2 hours ago, brianthainess said:

So, what are you saying? Sounds like either "Thai people are not normal" or "Thai people can't be expected to do their job correctly".

Don't you think you should stop slamming your host country?

• Confused 1

After the accident, MEA has fitted the exposed manholes, in that area, with temporary concrete lids, replacing the metal ones, which were stolen.

The MEA also stated they are increasing inspections of manhole covers of all other projects and putting in place ‘careful preventive measures.’

IMG_2611.png

IMG_2613.png

Nanny states .. who doesn't hate em! However when death by non nanny state rears its head, as it does repeatedly in LOS, we seem not to like it. Interesting.

• Thumbs Up 2

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, stoner said:

Har har.

The metal ones were stolen.

It has nothing to do with that. Thailand is not a developed country. And to stay safe requires some personal responsibility. The nanny state isn't there to hold your hand. If you see a piece of old plywood on the side of the road , it's not advisable to stand on it.

Edited by Harsh Jones
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

10 hours ago, stoner said:

what are you on about ? you proved my point with your comment. well back in my day we were just as bad but now we have it sorted. 

back in the day here and now is same same. 

in 2024 LOS should pretty much be a first world country is kind of my point. but you keep on telling me i am bashing. 

typical. 

Oh really. LOS should be a 1st world country eh.

Where's your economics degree ?

21 minutes ago, Harsh Jones said:

Har har.

The metal ones were stolen.

It has nothing to do with that. Thailand is not a developed country. And to stay safe requires some personal responsibility. The nanny state isn't there to hold your hand. If you see a piece of old plywood on the side of the road , it's not advisable to stand on it.

10 plus years living in thailand and never stood on a piece of dodgy plywood on the road.