Getting Married Quickly

eariza

Hello,

strange question, but my brother is dying with throat cancer and I will try to go to help him come home. He has about two months of good time. He has a wonderful lady friend who has been with him for several years, and I would like her to come home with us so he can spend his last days at home in MA with his family and her, if she wants to come. Is it easy to get married fast in Bangkok, if this is what he wants to do? Can we get her a visa fast, or am I dreaming? Would she be able to to travel with him right away? If so, would she need an affidavit of support, and can I, the future sister -in-law provide the affidavit, it need be?

I appreciate any help.

Thank you.

There are a couple of translation services on the road between Sukhumvit and Rama 4. The road runs along Lumpini Park.

The place I used to do just about all my paperwork was a place called Unity Translation Service. It will cost about 15,000 Baht and they will do everything including registration at the Amphour. They will get all the Affadaivts to sign - everything.

That will mean you are legally married, then all you need to do is have the party.

Good Luck, and Hope it all works well.

Matt

Getting the Affidavit from you Embassy can be done quickly and then

the certification by the Thai Foreign Ministry is also quick.

I am not sure about the visa, or the attitude of US immigration.

They may view the rush as a way to circumvent the rules.

I suggest you start with a call to the consular section of the US embassy

in Bangkok and see what they say.

Getting the Affidavit from you Embassy can be done quickly and then

the certification by the Thai Foreign Ministry is also quick.

I am not sure about the visa, or the attitude of US immigration.

They may view the rush as a way to circumvent the rules.

I suggest you start with a call to the consular section of the US embassy

in Bangkok and see what they say.

Good Point Astral that I didn't mention, Being legally married is probably going to be the easy part. Negotiating with the embassy and getting all that done may take some time.

On another thread, somebody said it was quicker to get a fiance visa for the US than a marriage visa because marriage visas are processed by the individual states, so can take over a year in some cases.

You could try asking at the embassy which would be faster, because it's probably dependant on which state it is? (MA - Massachussets? Minnesota? Maine?)

Please forgive my bluntness during this time of stress, but does your brother have any pensions that will cover his new wife.

The "powers that be" may take this into their considerations.

It may be prudent to not mention them.

On another thread, somebody said it was quicker to get a fiance visa for the US than a marriage visa because marriage visas are processed by the individual states, so can take over a year in some cases.

You could try asking at the embassy which would be faster, because it's probably dependant on which state it is? (MA - Massachussets? Minnesota? Maine?)

MA-Massachussets

MN-Minnesota

ME-Maine

MT-Montana

Cheers :o

MA-Massachussets

MN-Minnesota

ME-Maine

MT-Montana

Cheers :o

Points taken. I am going there to bring him home next week. HIs doctor said to go now because in two months he will be too sick to travel.

So..I am thinking...if I take him and leave, can I petition for his girlfriend? No, he has nothing; he bought her a house in Chaing Mai so she is ok. I was just thinking that she would want to be with him. Can I grab him, take him home, and then petition for her? Or can I try to help him do some papers for a fiance visa while I am there? I can't imagine the agony she will feel knowing he probably won't be back...her mother died of cancer too. This is just too sad...thanks so much for all your insight...all of you.

Charles's sister