Intel Graphics Driver

sammycic

anybody know how to change intel graphics media accelerator driver for mobile from thai to english. have tried in regional settings but didn't work. the chipset is 945. got the extended monitors to work but would be a lot easier to run if it was in English.

thanks in advance.

using xp pro.

Edited by sammycic

Control Panel > Regional and Language Options > Advanced tab, select English in the drop down box. Restart for changes to take effect. Note: Changing this setting, you will lose the ability to display non-unicode programs in Thai or whatever language it was set to initially.

A better solution would be to remove the (display driver) language resource files; click here for details.

should be a setting in Regional settings "language for non-unicode programs". yours is probably set to Thai, change it to English

Sorry I am now on Win 7 so can not confirm its location in XP

Edited by Bartman

Control Panel > Regional and Language Options > Advanced tab, select English in the drop down box. Restart for changes to take effect. Note: Changing this setting, you will lose the ability to display non-unicode programs in Thai or whatever language it was set to initially.

A better solution would be to remove the (display driver) language resource files; click here for details.

thanks tried everything except for changing the directory which i will try in the morning.

all other attempts ended up with ????????????????????? instead of thai.

lots of good info in the link thanks

should be a setting in Regional settings "language for non-unicode programs". yours is probably set to Thai, change it to English

Sorry I am now on Win 7 so can not confirm its location in XP

thanks changed regional settings as you said but no joy.

It's all there on the website that supernova linked to. Sometimes you have to read until the very end. :)

Step 1: Change the Non-Unicode programs language to "English US" and Reboot. You can do that from Control Panel > Regional and Language Options > Advanced Tab > change the language in the dropdown menu to "English US" Don't forget to Reboot

Step 2: Go the Device Manager and Update the Intel Graphics Driver again. Now when the driver is being installed, it will use the default Non-Unicode programs language which is currently English

You can do that from Control Panel > Performance and Maintenance > System > Hardware Tab > Device Manager > Click the + sign next to Display > Right click on the driver and click Update Driver > Automatically.

Step 3: Change back the Non-Unicode programs language to "Hebrew" and Reboot

You will find that the problem was solved and still you haven't changed the Non-Unicode programs language or messed up with System and Registry files emotion-11.gifemotion-21.gifemotion-21.gif

I struggled with this one myself last year, I definitely had some Google misfortune because I couldn't find a solution (or the problem). Can't remember for sure how I fixed it but I think I ended up deleting the Thai language files out of the installer package BEFORE running the installer. If above doesn't work come back here and I will come up with instructions. Switched to Win7 though so can't check it out easily right away...

welo

Edited by welo

I ended up deleting the Thai language files out of the installer package BEFORE running the installer.

welo

That's the way I do it -- remove all the language resource files I don't need, then run the installer. Having to use Thai almost on a daily basis, changing the language for non-unicode programs in the Control Panel (to anything other than Thai) is not an option.

Edited by Supernova

It's all there on the website that supernova linked to. Sometimes you have to read until the very end. :)
Step 1: Change the Non-Unicode programs language to "English US" and Reboot. You can do that from Control Panel > Regional and Language Options > Advanced Tab > change the language in the dropdown menu to "English US" Don't forget to Reboot

Step 2: Go the Device Manager and Update the Intel Graphics Driver again. Now when the driver is being installed, it will use the default Non-Unicode programs language which is currently English

You can do that from Control Panel > Performance and Maintenance > System > Hardware Tab > Device Manager > Click the + sign next to Display > Right click on the driver and click Update Driver > Automatically.

Step 3: Change back the Non-Unicode programs language to "Hebrew" and Reboot

You will find that the problem was solved and still you haven't changed the Non-Unicode programs language or messed up with System and Registry files emotion-11.gifemotion-21.gifemotion-21.gif

I struggled with this one myself last year, I definitely had some Google misfortune because I couldn't find a solution (or the problem). Can't remember for sure how I fixed it but I think I ended up deleting the Thai language files out of the installer package BEFORE running the installer. If above doesn't work come back here and I will come up with instructions. Switched to Win7 though so can't check it out easily right away...

welo

thanks supernova and welo for your interest. i tried the above and got as far as update driver unfortunately automatic went to update wizard and couldn't find it on the web. went to intel site, updated and and have the latest driver. I think it is the registry as described in the link. any help what be greatly appreciated as at the moment all i have is ???????????? instead of thai.

went to c:\windows\system32 and it shows

igfxres.dll application extension

igfxress.dll application extension

none of the language .irc files show anything.

thanks i am struggling too with this one.

Edited by sammycic

Which driver package are you using? Please provide a link if possible. I'll have a look at it...

EDIT: To get rid of the ????????????, revert any changes you made in Regional settings back to what they were.

Edited by Supernova

Which driver package are you using? Please provide a link if possible. I'll have a look at it...

EDIT: To get rid of the ????????????, revert any changes you made in Regional settings back to what they were.

Got rid of the ???????? back to thai and i am using mobile intel 945 express chipset family and video processor intel gma 950.

i have tried everything in your link except for renaming to .bak

thanks this is driving me crazy.

Did you try the solution I quoted, it's actually taken from the same website just AFTER all the comments trying to manipulate system folders and such. I don't recommend to mess around with the system32 folder.

If the proposed solution works this would only temporaily change the non-unicode setting while updating the driver, and then revert back to the old setting.

Don't forget to reboot after changing the setting before updating the driver, otherwise the driver doesn't pickup the changed locale I guess. Just make sure you follow the instructions carefully, details DO matter!! :)

If this doesn't work you can try manipulating the installer package which is not that hard, too, but the solution above seems easier to me for the average user.

Here is the download link for the current driver.

http://downloadmirror.intel.com/16835/a08/winxp_14324.exe

If you have any packer installed (7Zip, WinRAR, whatever) you just do a right click on the downloaded file and use 'Extract..' to unpack the installation bundle. Then search the directory structure for folders named 'lang' and delete the 'tha' folders completely. There are two folders in the package! Make sure you get both!

Then run the setup.exe.

If it doesn't work you might have to uninstall the driver package before re-installing with the Thai language files removed.

welo

Did you try the solution I quoted, it's actually taken from the same website just AFTER all the comments trying to manipulate system folders and such. I don't recommend to mess around with the system32 folder.

If the proposed solution works this would only temporaily change the non-unicode setting while updating the driver, and then revert back to the old setting.

Don't forget to reboot after changing the setting before updating the driver, otherwise the driver doesn't pickup the changed locale I guess. Just make sure you follow the instructions carefully, details DO matter!! :)

If this doesn't work you can try manipulating the installer package which is not that hard, too, but the solution above seems easier to me for the average user.

Here is the download link for the current driver.

http://downloadmirror.intel.com/16835/a08/winxp_14324.exe

If you have any packer installed (7Zip, WinRAR, whatever) you just do a right click on the downloaded file and use 'Extract..' to unpack the installation bundle. Then search the directory structure for folders named 'lang' and delete the 'tha' folders completely. There are two folders in the package! Make sure you get both!

Then run the setup.exe.

If it doesn't work you might have to uninstall the driver package before re-installing with the Thai language files removed.

welo

the option you quoted did not work. i will try installing the software that you and supernova provided.

thanks

You have two choices -- you can delete the .lrc files (as suggested by welo), or edit the INF entries (my preferred method):

Download the ZIP here.

Extract the contents of winxp_14324.zip

In the \winxp_14324\Graphics folder, look for: igxp32.inf; Open it with Notepad, scroll down about 1/4 of the page.

Under the [Resource.Copy] section, remove ALL entries, EXCEPT: "igfxrenu.lrc" is the English resource file, keep this one...

Save file. Note: Due to the modification, the drivers will no longer be WHQL certified.

You can go ahead and delete the .lrc files if you wish.

Updating the drivers

Open Device Manager, select Display Adapters

In the Driver tab; click: Update Driver...

Choose "Install from a list or specific location (Advanced)"

During driver installation you may be prompted with a warning message, just ignore it and continue.

to supernova and welo a great big thankyou for all your help. i installed the new software and now i have english. great stuff i did not delete the thai language just changed the regional settings advanced to english U.K. before i did the install rebooted and now have english. I have set up extended desktop very happy with the result. thanks once again for your help.

to supernova and welo a great big thankyou for all your help. i installed the new software and now i have english. great stuff i did not delete the thai language just changed the regional settings advanced to english U.K. before i did the install rebooted and now have english. I have set up extended desktop very happy with the result. thanks once again for your help.

Did you change the regional settings (especially language for non-unicode files) back to Thailand afterwards? According to the post it should be possible and the Intel drivers should still remain in English language.

If anybody still feels like hacking the driver files I recommend going with supernovas solution. My instructions were incomplete anyway I realized now. I think that maybe I did similar with another device driver but never with the Intel graphics driver, or did I?? way too long ago... :)

welo

Did you change the regional settings (especially language for non-unicode files) back to Thailand afterwards? According to the post it should be possible and the Intel drivers should still remain in English language.

If anybody still feels like hacking the driver files I recommend going with supernovas solution. My instructions were incomplete anyway I realized now. I think that maybe I did similar with another device driver but never with the Intel graphics driver, or did I?? way too long ago... :)

welo

I like to give that a try but it took me so long to get it to english i am bit reluctant. Out of my league to start hacking driver files but learnt a lot about graphic cards etc. thanks for your help.

I like to give that a try but it took me so long to get it to english i am bit reluctant. Out of my league to start hacking driver files but learnt a lot about graphic cards etc. thanks for your help.

:) hel_l no! Stay away from that, never change a running system! I was talking about two different things

1. You might wanna change your regional setting for non-unicode programs back to 'Thailand' so that you don't run into problems with Thai files/characters. This should not affect the language of the Intel driver, this will remain in english according to the post from the linked website.

Control Panel > Regional and Language Options > Advanced Tab > change the language in the dropdown menu to 'Thai'

If you don't see any weired characters in one of your programs, then there is no need to change anything.

2. This point is for others who run into the same problem and might find this thread: in case they want to modify the driver, I recommend them to follow supernova's instructions since I didn't recall correctly how to do it.

welo

If anybody still feels like hacking the driver files I recommend going with supernovas solution. My instructions were incomplete anyway I realized now. I think that maybe I did similar with another device driver but never with the Intel graphics driver, or did I?? way too long ago...

welo

I wouldn't call it hacking, "modding" would be a more appropriate term. :) To do it yourself, just follow these three easy steps:

1. Download and extract the driver package;

2. Locate the INF file; edit with Notepad or your favorite text editor;

Note: Some installation packages may have more than one INF file. A good example of this are the Realtek audio drivers which typically include over 20 configuration files, but only a single INF is needed to install the device. The difficult part is figuring out which one it is... Knowing the device id (PCI\VEN_xxxx&DEV_xxxx) does help in these situations.

3. Modify accordingly and save. All settings for the device are contained in the INF file, so be careful when making changes.

Note: Any "unauthorized changes" made to the original installation package will invalidate digital signatures, even though the driver files (.dll, .sys, .exe) have passed WHQL testing. This has no effect on performance, so there's nothing to be concerned about here.

The trick is knowing what to change and where... Being familiar with the structure of these files and how they work will make whatever it is you're trying to do a lot easier to accomplish.

*** For 32-bit OS only. Windows 64-bit will not install drivers that aren't WHQL certified.

Edited by Supernova