Video Editors

astral

I am using Ulead Video Studio 11 for general video editing.

I have just been chopping some header and trailer info from a programme

downloaded from my satellite receiver.

The original file (.ts) was 2 Gb.

I told the editor programme to output the edited file in the same format

and it came out as a whopping 5Gb........

This is ridiculous.

Is there any way of controlling this bloating of the file.

Do you have a better editor for me to try?

Thanks

I did not add anything..............

just chopped out some rubbish. :)

The format is .ts which is mpeg4.

Same format in and out...............

why a size increase of 150%

I keep these files to play on my WD HD player, so no change of format is required.

what program did you use? Adobe premiere or higher is pretty good or avs, avs is very fast and you can reconvert, also VAIO and I'm very happy. Only when I use MS then I'm in trouble like you.

I think avs4you.com has a trial option and many free goodies.

Edited by elcent

Format has nothing to do with the outputted file size (perse). You obviously have your output set to a higher bitrate quality.

Try using an editor prog that lets you set not only your file codec but also your bitrate. (some rudimentary progs will use words such as "good" or "best" etc).

Working with Mpeg will only further lose quality im afraid, no matter what you do.

Imagine a normal 1hr 30min Movie file in Dv.avi format would run at 18gb in size and then work out how you compress that further to a 4.7Gb DVD and you see that something has to give when you try that twice.

I really really like Cyberlink Powerdirector, now at V8. Earlier version would crash, this one is rock solid. Simple to use, but loaded with tons of great features, effects, etc, you can keep it as simple as you want but can also do some really sophisticated stuff as well. Outputs to a huge amount of different file formats, really almost any type or size you want, and easy to specify. Plus has wizards to atuomaticially upload a project to youtube, facebook, myspace....which is really great for me, as that's what I mainly publish my vids for. Remember though, version 8 is the one I like, previous one were not as stable as this one.

Last time I tried Power Director, I didn't like the quality of the .avi output. Maybe it's better now.

Best all-round editor I've found is Sony Vegas. I've you've got the DivX encoder installed on your box, it can use it.

Adobe Premier is overkill and has a very steep learning curve.

Format has nothing to do with the outputted file size (perse). You obviously have your output set to a higher bitrate quality.

Not so.

I pressed a button to output the file in the SAME format, surely that includes bitrate????

not an increase of 150% on the file size

Having checkout the links given earlier I have settled on VideoRedo.

Easy to use with positioning to the exact frame.

The output file is the same format, and the size is a little smaller, which makes sense as I only removed bits.

I like the idea of a 30 day trial licence with full features.

Now I have to see if they will accept my credit card.