Costs Of Installing Air-con? What About Electric Consumption?

atelko

As I am moving from a house to a small apartment with no air-con installed and just a fan I would like to know how much it would cost me o install my own air-con that I am having in my house.

I was aking in a shop that is selling air-cons and they wanted to charge me bht 5000,- just for installing it.

A friend of mine said it would cost about 1000 or 1300 (depends on having all the stuff to install it or not).

do you know anybody who an install them cheap or have an idea about the costs?

I really don´t know how much I am loosing by using my aircon at the moment and would like to know how much it is. my electric bill is pretty low. about 1500-2000. i am running my pc, tv, fan and water heater in the shower mostly. air-con is running not that often. if i am awake in the daytime it runs more often. if i am aweake in the night-time and sleeping at daytime it doesn´t run at all.

it is a 12000btu i guess but i am not sure. maybe even smaller. here is a pic of a sticker that is attached to the air-con.

airconpic.jpg

how much units would this loose when running an hour?

Kindly regards

According to this page http://translate.google.co.in/translate?hl...cial%26hs%3D7gw the LG S13LC is 13,000BTU and has a power consumption of 1165Watts.

This translates to a consumption of about 1.2 units of electricity per hour (4 Baht a unit) when cooling. Obviously if the unit is not cooling constantly it will use less, how much less depends upon the temperature setting, the colder you have it the harder it works and the more you pay.

The same page gives an installation cost of 2,500 Baht, I suspect your local aircon outlet would be somewhat cheaper.

According to this page http://translate.google.co.in/translate?hl...cial%26hs%3D7gw the LG S13LC is 13,000BTU and has a power consumption of 1165Watts.

This translates to a consumption of about 1.2 units of electricity per hour (4 Baht a unit) when cooling. Obviously if the unit is not cooling constantly it will use less, how much less depends upon the temperature setting, the colder you have it the harder it works and the more you pay.

The same page gives an installation cost of 2,500 Baht, I suspect your local aircon outlet would be somewhat cheaper.

then i really don´t know why my bill is 1500 or 2000 everytime. i am living together with a friend of mine, who is using the aircon and letting the outside light and floor light on all the night. probably watt-consuming light bulbs :)

also the tv was on all the time before, but the satellite dish is broken and thats why not in use anymore. that cut down my bill about bht 300.

i am using my pc all the time and just my fan and my light bulb in my room. other than that nothing more.

the washing machine and the refrigerator might be the problem. i know that those refrigerators are killing you when turned to max, but on2-3 its ok.

more items are not in use.

oh yes, the cooking plate occasionally when there will be cooked.

i thought it would be the air-con but aprox. 1.2 units an hour is lower than expected.

paying bht 3.6 per unit in my rented house at the moment. when moving to my new apartment next month it will be baht 7 per unit so that my electrical bill would explode from my current 1500-2000 to 3000-4000 and that just for electric. too much in my opinion.

this is why i want to cut down my electrical unit expenses.

any ideas or tips about that?

paying bht 3.6 per unit in my rented house at the moment. when moving to my new apartment next month it will be baht 7 per unit so that my electrical bill

Luckily from my viewpoint, I do not live anywhere near BKK. So I must ask.... why move to an apartment that is making an extra profit off your electrical usage? You sound like a permanent resident, so why not find a place that puts the utilities in your name and you pay for what you use? Or at least provides you a copy of the bill and you pay for what you use?

OK, I know that location probably drives your decision on what to chose from what is available but if, as Crossy said, the rate is 4 baht/unit, why pay 7? And if they charge extra on the electricity, they are probably charging extra on the water.

paying bht 3.6 per unit in my rented house at the moment. when moving to my new apartment next month it will be baht 7 per unit so that my electrical bill would explode from my current 1500-2000 to 3000-4000 and that just for electric. too much in my opinion.

Yes. Your consumption is exactly the same. But because your landlord is screwing you - he wants you to pay double. This is a hidden tax.

Up to you if you want to pay it.

I live in a nice high rise condo & I pay off the meter.

Installation cost should be around 2000 baht. That is for the pipes, wiring, freon & circuit breaker. Not to mention drilling some holes.

Often if you buy a new air con unit the price included free delivery & installation. Confirm that before paying. Be sure your load center has enough capacity to accomodate the extra load.

We have just had installed the smallest Air con unit that Daikin do, it's just for a room at the top of the stairs,3.5M. *3M. Sorry I can't remember the rating. We actually bought it from Ngam Wong Wan mall. The price was something over 18000Baht fitted. So there is a guide price for you. Home Pro quoted about the same price.

• 2 weeks later...

I installed a 13,000 BTU split unit. It was installed free except for the wiring that was left out to the C/B switch. 500฿

My electric bill was around 1000฿ per month running it 24 hour in a bedroom room with the sun heating the wall in the afternoon/evening. Up about 700฿.

don't use airconditioning, just sweat :)

I installed a 13,000 BTU split unit. It was installed free except for the wiring that was left out to the C/B switch. 500฿

My electric bill was around 1000฿ per month running it 24 hour in a bedroom room with the sun heating the wall in the afternoon/evening. Up about 700฿...

...said the fairy queen and all the children were fascinated by her fairy tale :)

but little Johnny, who's father is in the aircon business, asked "what's the thermostate setting in ºC?"

don't use airconditioning, just sweat

Says the one with the 15 air conditioners set to 15C...

for the record: the number is now 19. but only a few of them are running (even during the hot season). the settings of those who run vary (depending on location and usage of areas) between 25 and 27ºC. an exception is my bedroom which is cooled down to 18ºC every evening. but when i go to bed both aircons are switched off. this works only november till february. during the other months one 13k btu unit is set on 26ºC otherwise the bedroom gets to warm for the Mrs.

:)

p.s. unfortunately there is no unit which can be set to 15ºC as the manufacturers fear that ice forms on the evaporator.

pps. my electricity consumption is only 400 Baht.

My electric bill was around 1000฿ per month running it 24 hour in a bedroom room with the sun heating the wall in the afternoon/evening. Up about 700฿...

...said the fairy queen and all the children were fascinated by her fairy tale :)

but little Johnny, who's father is in the aircon business, asked "what's the thermostate setting in ºC?"

Ok it was a small room. I bought a large unit so I could use it in my future house. 25C in the day, 22C at night. I am not one of those that like to live in a refrigerator. :D

Ok it was a small room. I bought a large unit so I could use it in my future house. 25C in the day, 22C at night. I am not one of those that like to live in a refrigerator. :D

the settings do not match the cost. i still consider it a fairy tale and will retract from my opinion only if the room was 10m² or less.

don't use airconditioning, just sweat

Says the one with the 15 air conditioners set to 15C...

for the record: the number is now 19. but only a few of them are running (even during the hot season). the settings of those who run vary (depending on location and usage of areas) between 25 and 27ºC. an exception is my bedroom which is cooled down to 18ºC every evening. but when i go to bed both aircons are switched off. this works only november till february. during the other months one 13k btu unit is set on 26ºC otherwise the bedroom gets to warm for the Mrs.

:D

p.s. unfortunately there is no unit which can be set to 15ºC as the manufacturers fear that ice forms on the evaporator.

pps. my electricity consumption is only 400 Baht.

Boody hel_l, naaaah, 400bht, ha ha. :)

400 baht? Are you sure? My wife's mother, who lives in the village, has no AC, rarely uses fans, one small refrig, always unplugs the TV, has bills of about that. Nice as the government is paying any bill under 500b. We just had ours paid by them! Probably our last as the first bill was for the empty house...120b bill.

In my apartment, with 3 ACs, 2 set to 29 (run only a few hours a day), the bedroom set to 26 (run every night), we had bills of about 2700b. I don't know the rate, but am sure they have jacked it up a bit...especially as it is a short term rental...

Regarding installation, they are all being done as part of the purchase. It was included.

400 baht? Are you sure? My wife's mother, who lives in the village, has no AC, rarely uses fans, one small refrig, always unplugs the TV, has bills of about that. Nice as the government is paying any bill under 500b. We just had ours paid by them! Probably our last as the first bill was for the empty house...120b bill.

In my apartment, with 3 ACs, 2 set to 29 (run only a few hours a day), the bedroom set to 26 (run every night), we had bills of about 2700b. I don't know the rate, but am sure they have jacked it up a bit...especially as it is a short term rental...

Regarding installation, they are all being done as part of the purchase. It was included.

OOPS! did i forget to mention that it's 400 Baht per day? :)

Hi,

if you are concerned about power consumption you may take a look at a inverter AC. I bought 3 Daikin Inverter AC last year and I am very happy with it. The outdoor unit start and running more silent then others.

I would not buy any AC`s at Homepro, Powerbuy etc. look instead at tarad.com. You can save 30-40%.

Example Daikin FTKD18GV2S 17700 (5100-19800) BTU 27,500 THB.

homecoolair.com

the price at Powerbuy is 41,800 THB.

Powerbuy.co.th

If you buy a new AC a standard installation (up to 4m or so...) is usually included in the price.

the settings do not match the cost. i still consider it a fairy tale and will retract from my opinion only if the room was 10m² or less.

The room was around 10 sq mtrs. I did not actually measure it but there was about 1 meter between the sides of a king size bed

and about 1 1/2 meters from the foot to the walls. All I know is that my max electric bill was 999฿ + a few satang.

Hi,

if you are concerned about power consumption you may take a look at a inverter AC. I bought 3 Daikin Inverter AC last year and I am very happy with it. The outdoor unit start and running more silent then others.

I would not buy any AC`s at Homepro, Powerbuy etc. look instead at tarad.com. You can save 30-40%.

the price at Powerbuy is 41,800 THB.

Powerbuy.co.th

If you buy a new AC a standard installation (up to 4m or so...) is usually included in the price.

Although prices seem good I note with caution that a third website in the same family is called Thaisecondhand.com

Did you actually buy from them and were they used or new?

homecoolair.com

that is indeed cheap for a 18k btu inverter unit! i paid some months ago nearly the same for a conventional unit.

I see different prices for simular sized Daikin AirCon units. The one we bought was an AT09JV2S not the FK series. The coling capacity stated in the advert is 8900BTU/Hr The nameplate says 2600 watts cooling, so at 3412 BTU/kW that is about right)....(2240kcal/h) and usage is 743watts. So it looks like 3Baht/Hr if your cost/unit is 4Baht

It maybe that there is some difference in Quality between what, on the surface, seem simular products..... why would that not surprise me.

Edited by John45

just for comparison of electric costs, house in Chiang Rai province with TV (on pretty much all the time!) fridge, lights (about 4 strip lights and a couple of lamps), no aircon. Was, before the arrival of industrial sewing machine (used around 6-8 hours a day), about 250Bt/month, now around the 500Bt mark. Not sure of the Bt/unit charge as I'm too ignorant to be able to read the bill! :)