Gps Map Software For Thailand On A Laptop

BKKdreaming

I have been looking for this software for a long time anf the best software map I have come up with in Thailand is Map Magic which is a very good product and available in most good software stores and also some good bookshops. Unfortunately they have no plans yet to introduce GPS mapping, at least this year.

I use a Garmin III gps and Garmin dont have any good maps of Thailand either.

If you find any can you let me know?

Cheers billd766

I use a Magellan GPS reciever, and their map might only be slightly better than Garmin's, but nothing remotely as good as any of the maps and software for the States, for example...

But, I read in the Post or the Nation a couple of weeks ago that there is now detailed GPS software for Bkk being marketed by a company in Thailand. Sorry, can't remember any of the contact details...

If you are clued-in, I believe there is software around for making your own maps for Garmin units, but not Magellan. The topic-related Yahoo groups are where I've seen talk on that...

• 3 years later...

Garmin Mobile PC and Garmin Thailand StreetMap will work on a PC. You can either use it with the Garmin Mobile GPSr 10/20 or with a GPS enabled Mobile phone. For the latter you need a program that lets the PC communicate with the GPSr. A program for that is ExtGPS from Symarctic.

Here's a screenshot.

Capture_64.jpg

Garmin dont have any good maps of Thailand either.

Cheers billd766

I don't think you have ever seen Thailand Street Map V8.0 or V8.1 made by ESRI Thailand for Garmin.

Name the coordinates and I will post a screenshot of the map.

Cheers, Ai

Edited by aidenai

Cheers billd766

I don't think you have ever seen Thailand Street Map V8.0 or V8.1 made by ESRI Thailand for Garmin.

Cheers, Ai

aidenai did you happen to note the date of billd766's post?

Cheers billd766

Cheers, Ai

aidenai did you happen to note the date of billd766's post?

Apologise, have not noticed it. :o

Edited by aidenai

can you get GPS software in English to use in Thailand ?

Just wondering as it might help me not get lost so much :o

or is there a mapquest type website for finding directions ?

thanks

Why not just use Google Earth? has GPS and direction finding... and it's free. There are versions for PC and mobile. The software doesn't get any simpler than this for a newbie.

The best Thailand map I have seen comes from ESRI in Thailand. Unfortunately it will NOT work with a PC.

Surely this is utter nonsense? ESRI products and maps, inc Thailand maps, have been available for PC since the evolution of the company not? ESRI's ArcGIS ver 9.3 is running on my PC now.

The best Thailand map I have seen comes from ESRI in Thailand. Unfortunately it will NOT work with a PC.

Surely this is utter nonsense? ESRI products and maps, inc Thailand maps, have been available for PC since the evolution of the company not? ESRI's ArcGIS ver 9.3 is running on my PC now.

Email from ESRI Thailand;

"Regarding the map, it will generated specific to your unit. The map file will be "gmapsupp.img" which will be the same one in your CF card at the moment. You just copy the file in the CD that I'll send to you to replace that one in your CF. That would be it.

However, it's not like when you buy a CD for U.S. or Europe map that you install it into your computer and select the area that you want, then transfer it your unit or to card reader. There will be no map CD that you can install in your computer. Therefore, you can't plan or create route via computer. You only can synchronize waypoints, track, and route via computer that most likely generated on the unit."