Ais Said 5gb Can Run Out Really Quickly With Moderate Daily Internet Usage

Drew Aitch

AIS 3G Will give 500MB Free with the 1,399 package (+7% Tax I think!) This package gives 5 GB

Can someone please explain what this means exactly? The lady in the shop said some people will easily use up their 5GB in a week! Crikey, that would cost them not far from 80,000 THB a year at that rate.

I've always had unlimited internet access. Even in the days of dial up I used to buy a card called Click TA which gave 16 Days unlimited (and quite good), internet for about 160 THB

So I have never monitored, nor do I know, how much internet I use. I don't download movies, but I do FTP site files all day every day, and occasionally upload promotional videos to video hosting sites. I also sometimes watch vids on YouTube and others, but certainly not daily.

So I'm just curious. Anyone regular users out there using AIS 3G 5GB that find it's not enough, or is 5GB going to give a lot more virtual mileage than the lady would suggest?

Cheers

Aitch

Edited by Drew Aitch

Taken from Here

post-8857-1264760803_thumb.jpg

Totster :)

Thanks Toaster. That's an interesting chart. It's scary to think that a single movie could cost you 1,500 Baht, but lightweight file uploads and downloads, and general website browsing look like this package might see the month out.

Cheers

Aitch

I believe gotlost posted that he is on a AIS 3G 30gb package for 1500bht a month.

Yes I am. BUT! it is not available any more. It was available for the first 90 days and I was fortunate that I signed up then. They jacked the rates up afterwords. As long as I pay my 1500baht before 14:34 hrs on the 28th of each month AIS will let me keep it. I just payed again on the 27th and I'm good to go. We shall see.

My normal use is less than 5GB a month, I have never gone over 6. I surf. emails and form. Very few if any downloads except for updates.

Edited by gotlost

The thing with bandwidth packages is that you can do a good estimate..you know if you are using FTP or uploading videos how big those files are. If the ISP doesn't offer some kind of meter with the software then you can probably download one that you can use to keep a track of your current monthly bandwidth

totster :)

I believe gotlost posted that he is on a AIS 3G 30gb package for 1500bht a month.

Yes I am. BUT! it is not available any more. It was available for the first 90 days and I was fortunate that I signed up then. They jacked the rates up afterwords. As long as I pay my 1500baht before 14:34 hrs on the 28th of each month AIS will let me keep it. I just payed again on the 27th and I'm good to go. We shall see.

My normal use is less than 5GB a month, I have never gone over 6. I surf. emails and form. Very few if any downloads except for updates.

My package(!!?) is 499b for 15gb. I only signed up recently, so it looks like I'm getting a good deal.

A further question along this line.....

If there are not going to be licenses issued (easily or quickly) presumably it would not be wise for AIS to invest in more equipment. If that is true, is there a limit to how many users AIS can support on their network in Chiang Mai?

MSPain

Edited by hml367

A further question along this line.....

If there are not going to be licenses issued (easily or quickly) presumably it would not be wise for AIS to invest in more equipment. If that is true, is there a limit to how many users AIS can support on their network in Chiang Mai?

MSPain

There probably is a limit but I doubt that AIS has reached it and probably wouldn't want to say if it does.

t

I got the 15 gig for 900 bht package just before rates shot up. I have to go in person on the 23rd each month to keep the package. Not sure why, but everytime there is some hassle.

I use every bit of the 15 gig. I watch you tube videos somewhat and a football game once a week. One football game was about 1 gig, one tv show on you tube is somewhere around 300mb depending.

5 gig will only be good for email and such, personally if i wasnt downloading video or music, i wouldnt bother with the 3 g. Before it I had the EDGE low speed service for much much less and works fine for email. i even have the brand new EDGE air card if someone wants it

I don't know how Kevin got such a good deal he's not sponsoring them is he :)

I got the 2gb package which costs me 1,100 including tax etc, they also give me 500mb free for the 1st six months.

If I just use it for surfing the net, thai visa, hotmail etc and streaming radio it's fine for a months use, this month I downloaded some albums and upgraded some programmes and it's run out in less than a week, currently sitting in the coffee shop at taweechol making the use of the free internet they provide :D

Basically if your going to download a lot of stuff it isn't really cost effective.

... Before it I had the EDGE low speed service for much much less and works fine for email. i even have the brand new EDGE air card if someone wants it

Khun Speicher, can I have that EDGE air card if you don't need it? Please PM me with details. Much thanks.

Thinking about this more, i don't think i'll bother with AIS 3G. It's would incredibly expensive for someone like me who has nearly 30 websites to keep alive. I'll have to have another think about things i guess. After having unlimited internet access and bandwidth since the year dot, it's a bitter pill to start paying incredible amounts of cash for a limited service, and one which I doubt even come close to the 800 THB TRUE package in terms of reliability and consistent speeds.

TRUE will be out at my new location mid year (apparently), so until then i guess i'll just have to put up with one of the other ISP that get flamed on TV :)

Aitch

Thanks for AIS 3G info Aitch. IMO 1400bht is outrages for only 5 GB. Like you, I need the internet for work and am pretty sure I'd burn up 5 GB in less than a week.

Hi tmifune

Yes, i agree, outrageous for someone like me, but for anyone on the move a lot and mainly operating a business type of platform using text based emails, online forms, along with the sending of a few Word docs and Excel spreadsheets etc, i guess it can be very handy. Then again, for these mobile types, there is a plethora of coffee shops, internet café's and zillions or Hot Spots anyway, so why bother!

Most people these days like to participate on social networking sites, upload and down load photos, programs, and dabble in games etc, so anyone other than the emailing, web-browsing, internet lurker, AIS 3G 5GB is nothing more than a company who has a licence to print their own money. IMHO of course :)

Aitch

I don't know how Kevin got such a good deal he's not sponsoring them is he :D

I got the 2gb package which costs me 1,100 including tax etc, they also give me 500mb free for the 1st six months.

After seeing what others pay, I rang AIS yesterday to make sure that my package was correct. The guy told me that I have 15gb for 499, just as I thought. They obviously know a VIP when they see one. :)

After seeing what others pay, I rang AIS yesterday to make sure that my package was correct. The guy told me that I have 15gb for 499, just as I thought. They obviously know a VIP when they see one. :)

Hi Kevin.

Are you sure you're using AIS 3G? I thought you mentioned somewhere that you offer free internet in your establishment, and one would think that even 15 GB would be swallowed up by customers in no time at all. Or maybe this package is for personal use?

Also, do you have a modem or a USB stick? And if so, how much did it cost your during the promotional period? Just curious :D

Thanks

Aitch

Hi Kevin.

Are you sure you're using AIS 3G? I thought you mentioned somewhere that you offer free internet in your establishment, and one would think that even 15 GB would be swallowed up by customers in no time at all. Or maybe this package is for personal use?

Also, do you have a modem or a USB stick? And if so, how much did it cost your during the promotional period? Just curious :D

Thanks

Aitch

Of course I'm sure. Didn't you see my previous post? I have a router which cost just under 5000 baht. 15gb is quite enough for the pub, not many customers use it  - 2-3 a day maybe. I am having to download movies to up my usage!!

Kevin,

Do you know how much you would have to pay per MB if you go over your 15 GB?

I think it could be something like 2 baht per MB. That would be 2000 baht per GB? The only saving factor is that they will shut your account down once you reach your credit limit.

I'm not positive about the above, but you might want to check.

MSPain

EDIT*** I just checked a very old brochre (the brochure is not correct anymore) and it was 1 baht per MB after the package is used up. That is still 1000 baht per GB.

Edited by hml367

Kevin,

I think it could be something like 2 baht per MB. That would be 2000 baht per GB? The only saving factor is that they will shut your account down once you reach your credit limit.

MSPain

EDIT*** I just checked a very old brochre (the brochure is not correct anymore) and it was 1 baht per MB after the package is used up. That is still 1000 baht per GB.

"I am having to download movies to up my usage!!"

Kevin,

MSPain

"I am having to download movies to up my usage!!"

Kevin, you recently announced your internet. Can you give the date and location where you picked up this promotion? AIS 3G is available at a number of places, and the info given to me (see above) was at Central KAD Suan Kaew

Cheers

Aitch

Kevin, you recently announced your internet. Can you give the date and location where you picked up this promotion? AIS 3G is available at a number of places, and the info given to me (see above) was at Central KAD Suan Kaew

Cheers

Aitch

AIS office on the corner of Thapae/Kamphengdin Rd, about 5th of January. I bought a router too, so that may have something to do with it. A guy came to the pub tonight and said he got 15gb for 799b but that was a few months ago?!!

Cheers

Aitch

AIS office on the corner of Thapae/Kamphengdin Rd, about 5th of January. I bought a router too, so that may have something to do with it. A guy came to the pub tonight and said he got 15gb for 799b but that was a few months ago?!!

Thanks Kevin

I would suggest then that anyone looking at AIS 3G, to go to the afore mentioned location (i think it's the main CM office), and avoid the little outlets in shopping malls like the plague.

Cheers

Aitch

~

I can't believe how 'all over the place' the quoted prices are.

I just yesterday signed up for the 30GB package which is 799/mo along with the desktop wireless router which is 4900 Baht. There was also a package for use with the USB device which was far more expensive.

The router is really small, roughly the size of two packs of cigarettes side-by-side and operates on a rechargable battery so is easily small enough to fit in my laptop case and for me to consider portable.

After going thru the learning curve of setting up the router, I am quite happy with the speed, even out here between the airport and Hangdong. The only problem remaining is that it goes offline about every ten minutes for a minute or two which makes websurfing or sending/checking mail right away a nuisance. Hopefully tech support will have an answer for this when I call in the morning.

I went with TOT for a couple of years and their connection became unbearable. A year ago I signed up with KSC for the ridiculous price of 1940/mo but it was quite reliable and fast for almost a year - until they sold out to True then everything went straight downhill.

I look forward to other's experience with this new hookup but don't expect to be with it forever as they all deteriorate as more customers sign on and the infrastructure remains the same. These companies love to take the money but hate to spend it on upgrading until they find their customers abandoning them like the proverbial rats/sinking ship analogy...

Edit: I obtained my AIS package/router at the Airport Plaza location next to the IT store on the 4th floor.

Edited by Dustoff

Crikey Dustoff, it's quite unbelievable all this pricing malarkey. I'm just wondering if some locations have a dangling carrot, and a few months after purchasing a router etc, the price, or GB, or both, goes nuts, and a whole new thread is born!

I could go 30GB for 799 + 7% tax, so maybe i will be reporting back after all :) Watch this space for a report next week, and potentially more price conflicts.

Aitch

Hello, All.

Before I purchased my 3G things from AIS I checked in two places and both offered the same packages at the same price. I would not use posts on a forum as what prices are... best to check with the company.

I had no setup to make the equipment work. There wasn't much to do other than calling the number to activate the package. When I purchased the packages they told me I would have to activate. I plugged them in and they worked shortly after calling to activate the packages. I have both the usb modem and the WiFi router modem each with their own package of data transfer. I did make adjustments to get a more consistent signal, but the equipment worked by just plugging it in. With the tweek for signal consistancy I have had very little problems with dropping signals.

On my WiFi router modem I am not aware of rechargeable battery. It does have an adapter for power input.

As for the signal on the road to Hang Dong, I have used my equipment almost into Hang Dong and close to the road. I believe the coverage area is a long, narrow path towards Hang Dong from Central Airport Plaza. Going towards Ping River or towards Doi Suthep is going to the edges of that particular signal path.

I use the usb modem outside the 3G coverage area and get approximately 10% of the speed of 3G with the GPRS signal.

I have had good results so far with both pieces of equipment. As Dustoff said, once they oversell the product the quality will probably deteriorate accordingly. Another thing to consider is if their are many users in one area, it could overload the nearest cell tower. With a limited amount of towers and no incentive to add equipment, it could turn in to too many customers on not enough equipment.

For anyone thinking of purchasing I would suggest going to the AIS office and asking your questions. They have English speaking representatives. And they will write down what they tell you about pricing. At least they did for me. As you can see from looking through TV, you will find many different experiences posted. Get your final information from the source.

To Kevin... I checked the paperwork of my WiFi modem package... at the time I purchased it was2 baht per 1MB over the allotted monthly data transfer amount.

MSPain

Edited by hml367

On my WiFi router modem I am not aware of rechargeable battery. It does have an adapter for power input.

My mistake.

In the router manual, the power input port is listed as "Charger" so I assumed a battery. There is none.

And while the router itself is compact, the transformer now has the distinction of being the largest of the dozen or so in my home. To each his own but I think that in this day and age, power supplies should be in the device itself. These transformers, as we all know, inconveniently crowd electrical outlets making sometimes multiple power strips necessary and with the prongs sticking out of them are a bitch to stuff into a computer bag without damaging the other equipment or literally punching holes in the bag.

Down with external transformers! :)

We have the same package as Dustoff, purchasing it in November. We're very close to the AIS office on Thapae so it's very handy to go in whenever we have questions. Many weekend afternoons the internet cuts in and out. When we bring this to their attention they do make a nice show of writing down our address and saying they'll pass it along to their "technical department".

We've haven't come close to the 30 GB limit despite watching about an hour of streaming video per day and downloading MP3s from the NPR website daily. We've learned to do this in the mornings for best performance.

This past month there was a mysterious 399 baht charge on our bill, over and above the regular monthly fees. Hubby inquired at the office and was asked if we do internet banking (huh? what would that have to do with a charge on our AIS bill?) We do, but with our U.S. bank. They took the charge off. Plus, they accept credit card payment at the office, which gives us the best exchange rate for payments.