Oh No He Hasn't..

MSingh

Now Capello has right royally fuc_ked it up I am happy to say he should have gone for Rooney. He would have been an inspirational captain not to mention the role would have helped him mature further. He might not even have bothered with a captain rather than Rio Ferdinand. Is he even good enough to get in the first team? :)

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Now Capello has right royally fuc_ked it up I am happy to say he should have gone for Rooney. He would have been an inspirational captain not to mention the role would have helped him mature further. He might not even have bothered with a captain rather than Rio Ferdinand. Is he even good enough to get in the first team? :)

He certainly doesn't warrant selection based on this Season but who else is there ??

No one, Upson's pony, as is Lescott, Gary Cahill i like but he's no experience ( maybe worth a shout though ), errrrrrrrr, Arsene think Sol's good still maybe ??? :D

He certainly doesn't warrant selection based on this Season but who else is there ??

No one, Upson's pony, as is Lescott, Gary Cahill i like but he's no experience ( maybe worth a shout though ), errrrrrrrr, Arsene think Sol's good still maybe ??? :D

Michael Dawson.

Michael Dawson.

You mean Michael "alround good guy" Dawson i presume. :D Obviously i'm biased, but he's looking good if a comparisons to be drawn with the three above and i don't even want to talk about that fcukin gobshite Campbell!!

rooney doesn't have any of the characteristics necessary to be a good captain.

Let's hear it then mate. What be these characteristics?

cool head, natural leader, good communicator, good organiser. rooney's too highly strung and too headstrong and during the world cup will be one rash lunge away from a red card.

ferdinand, gerrard, lampard and barry should all be ahead of rooney in the queue.

rooney's too highly strung and too headstrong and during the world cup will be one rash lunge away from a red card.

It's called passion mate. Being ready to "die" for the cause. What you see as a negative, i see as positive. Just needs to be channelled in the right way. Rooney has shown he can do that this season. Not all the time, but he's getting there. Maturing quickly. Is this World Cup too soon? Perhaps. Perhaps not. His current form has certainly not hurt his cause. One of the few players you can guarantee will play if fit. That has to be a big consideration for captain.

ferdinand, gerrard, lampard and barry should all be ahead of rooney in the queue.

Ferdinand? Does he have a cool head? Punching out like he did the other day suggests perhaps not. Could he rally the troops and inspire? Don't see it myself.

Gerrard? He's be my first pick if it wasn't for the fact he really seems to struggle for England. Does he need extra pressure?

Lampard? Yeah, not a bad shout. Is he guaranteed a start though?

Barry? He's mature alright. Dunno how vocal he is though. Is he a leader? Not sure. Is he guaranteed a start?

Lampard would have been my choice, if not too soon because of the Chelsea connection. But I think that he's now one of the first names on the teamsheet - so no problem there.

In the meantime I'd have chosen Gerrard for sure - he may not have shown his best for England up until now, but he does lead by example on the pitch.

Lampard would have been my choice, if not too soon because of the Chelsea connection.

Who's he been knobbing?

But I think that he's now one of the first names on the teamsheet - so no problem there.

Really? Thought he was having a so-so season. Certainly the goals seem to have dried up. I would have thought Gerrard and Barry's names would be on the teamsheet ahead of Lampard's. No?

Actually, come to think of it, all three of these midfielders are having fairly average seasons. Still, it's pretty certain that two of them will be picked... which two i'm not sure. Gerrard is probably the most certain of the three, although not so much to do with present form.

Edited by rixalex

It's called passion mate. Being ready to "die" for the cause. What you see as a negative, i see as positive. Just needs to be channelled in the right way. Rooney has shown he can do that this season. Not all the time, but he's getting there. Maturing quickly. Is this World Cup too soon? Perhaps. Perhaps not. His current form has certainly not hurt his cause. One of the few players you can guarantee will play if fit. That has to be a big consideration for captain.

Ferdinand? Does he have a cool head? Punching out like he did the other day suggests perhaps not. Could he rally the troops and inspire? Don't see it myself.

Gerrard? He's be my first pick if it wasn't for the fact he really seems to struggle for England. Does he need extra pressure?

Barry? He's mature alright. Dunno how vocal he is though. Is he a leader? Not sure. Is he guaranteed a start?

rooney's simply not captain material. he's not a leader, he's not an organiser, he's not a communicator. the other four have all captained top club sides which by default puts them ahead of rooney on experience and being proven capable of doing the job.

Really? Thought he was having a so-so season. Certainly the goals seem to have dried up. I would have thought Gerrard and Barry's names would be on the teamsheet ahead of Lampard's. No?

Actually, come to think of it, all three of these midfielders are having fairly average seasons. Still, it's pretty certain that two of them will be picked... which two i'm not sure. Gerrard is probably the most certain of the three, although not so much to do with present form.

if gerrard, lampard and barry are fit then they are all in capello's first XI without question.

if gerrard, lampard and barry are fit then they are all in capello's first XI without question.

Maybe. Maybe not. Yesterday some were certain he wouldn't strip Terry of captaincy. Perhaps we don't know his every move as well as we think we do.

Personally i'd like to see us playing with two out and out wingers. What i'd like obviously though counts for nought. For now, just happy the Terry saga is behind us.

Who's he been knobbing?

My answer to your eloquent question is , no one of any significance as far as I know. However, there's probably going to be a shutting up of shop at Chelsea concerning these affairs, and Lampard is part of that, It's a question of team unity that extends beyond Chelsea and encroaches upon country.

He is one of the first names on the teamsheet. When was the last time that the was dropped ? Whether or not you think he's having a good or bad season, in fact he's having an ok one, is irrelevant to the point that it's on his England performance that he's judged. In those games he's certainly been more impressive than say, Gerrard.

I can't believe he's picked Ferdinand for captain. Banned for hittting someone in the face and let's not forget the last World Cup - wasn't he kicked out for failing to turn up for a drugs test? Hardly captain material.

I'd go for Gerrard, because I think the extra pressure of being captain would spur him on to perform in the same way he does as captain of Liverpool.

Failing that, I'd pick Rooney. Ok, he's hot-headed, but he puts himself on the line every time he steps on the pitch and I think that would inspire the other players to do the same.

But then again, I'm just a mere mortal...

Michael Dawson.

You mean Michael "alround good guy" Dawson i presume. :D Obviously i'm biased, but he's looking good if a comparisons to be drawn with the three above and i don't even want to talk about that fcukin gobshite Campbell!!

Dawson's a good, traditional Engish Style Defender..

He'll get raped at the top level though, hence why Redknapp only picks him against specific Strikers that he can play against & not every week..

Not good enough at the top level.

I can't believe he's picked Ferdinand for captain. Banned for hittting someone in the face and let's not forget the last World Cup - wasn't he kicked out for failing to turn up for a drugs test? Hardly captain material.

I'd go for Gerrard, because I think the extra pressure of being captain would spur him on to perform in the same way he does as captain of Liverpool.

Failing that, I'd pick Rooney. Ok, he's hot-headed, but he puts himself on the line every time he steps on the pitch and I think that would inspire the other players to do the same.

But then again, I'm just a mere mortal...

Yep let's go for the Man who escaped Prison last Year just about by paying off his Co Defendents to do his time.. :D

He is actually my choice too though.. :)

My answer to your eloquent question is , no one of any significance as far as I know.

OK. And what about all the insignificant ones? :)

However, there's probably going to be a shutting up of shop at Chelsea concerning these affairs, and Lampard is part of that, It's a question of team unity that extends beyond Chelsea and encroaches upon country.

Team unity?! That's a laugh.

it's on his England performance that he's judged.

Don't agree. I think Capello has gone on record as saying he'll only pick those who are currently playing and in form, although he has made a few exceptions to that rule. For me, i don't think he should.

In those games he's certainly been more impressive than say, Gerrard.

You sure about that?

rooney's simply not captain material. he's not a leader, he's not an organiser, he's not a communicator.

OK. Agree to disagree on this.

fair enough.

incidentally i think the point still stands about england putting entirely too much emphasis on who is captain. other countries don't feel the need to do it. perhaps because they recognise that success at international level has more to do with professionalism, tactics and teamwork than with patriotism and passion.

As has already been established on this thread, very few players have squeaky clean records, and that includes both of your choices Gerrard and Rooney. I don't think Rio's crimes are much worse than either of those two, but i do think those two would make much better captains, so i agree with you but for slightly different reasons.

incidentally i think the point still stands about england putting entirely too much emphasis on who is captain. other countries don't feel the need to do it. perhaps because they recognise that success at international level has more to do with professionalism, tactics and teamwork than with patriotism and passion.

I was thinking about this yesterday when you mentioned it then. Not saying i don't believe you, just wondering how exactly do we know that the other nations don't care so much? I mean, unless i was able to read the Spanish daily rags, not sure i could confidently say how the Spanish feel on the matter of captain, and whether or not they place much importance on it. I just don't know. Not sure how other people do. Enlighten me.

I was thinking about this yesterday when you mentioned it then. Not saying i don't believe you, just wondering how exactly do we know that the other nations don't care so much? I mean, unless i was able to read the Spanish daily rags, not sure i could confidently say how the Spanish feel on the matter of captain, and whether or not they place much importance on it. I just don't know. Not sure how other people do. Enlighten me.

sid lowe is about the best commentator around on spanish football and he's commented that the spanish don't make a big deal out of it. there's a point of pride about whether the captain is from madrid or barca but it's not front page news like the terry debate has been. i read the french press and follow french football closely and they've never really made much of an issue of it either. perhaps there's a wider point about england's tabloid gossip mentality.

another interesting point is that we're looking for 'least guilty' of the candidates as opposed to a standout good one. :)

another interesting point is that we're looking for 'least guilty' of the candidates as opposed to a standout good one. :D

Indeed. Goes back to what you were saying about them all being a bunch of gobshites, with a few notable exceptions of course! :)

sid lowe is about the best commentator around on spanish football and he's commented that the spanish don't make a big deal out of it. there's a point of pride about whether the captain is from madrid or barca but it's not front page news like the terry debate has been. i read the french press and follow french football closely and they've never really made much of an issue of it either. perhaps there's a wider point about england's tabloid gossip mentality.

OK. Fair enough. Spain and France are two nations. About the rest...? Not saying i don't believe that England makes a bigger deal out of who is captain, just not yet convinced that other nations are as nonplussed as some suggest.

You are right about England's tabloids without a doubt though.

And what's this... you follow French football closely?! Someone has a lot of freetime on their hands methinks! :)

sid lowe is about the best commentator around on spanish football and he's commented that the spanish don't make a big deal out of it. there's a point of pride about whether the captain is from madrid or barca but it's not front page news like the terry debate has been. cloi read the french press and follow french football sely and they've never really made much of an issue of it either. perhaps there's a wider point about england's tabloid gossip mentality.

another interesting point is that we're looking for 'least guilty' of the candidates as opposed to a standout good one. :)

followed it closely for the 12 years i lived there also steve, read l,equipe every day, bordeaux was my soft spot, whats your connection, remember drogba playing for guingamp. psg, =perdant sur gazon :D

sid lowe is about the best commentator around on spanish football and he's commented that the spanish don't make a big deal out of it. there's a point of pride about whether the captain is from madrid or barca but it's not front page news like the terry debate has been. cloi read the french press and follow french football sely and they've never really made much of an issue of it either. perhaps there's a wider point about england's tabloid gossip mentality.

followed it closely for the 12 years i lived there also steve, read l,equipe every day, bordeaux was my soft spot, whats your connection, remember drogba playing for guingamp. psg, =perdant sur gazon :D

yeah i used to live there myself man, speak french fluently still and still read l'equipe and france football religiously. i played over there too and enjoyed the way that amateur french teams approach their football, so different from england. my team is l'OM, for my sins. didier deschamps was the very definition of a captain, unassuming and professional.

sepp blatter. what a guy.

John Terry's alleged affair would have been applauded abroad, says Blatter

Fifa president Sepp Blatter has claimed that in some countries, John Terry would have been applauded rather than sacked as national team captain for having an alleged affair.

Terry was deposed as England captain by Fabio Capello, the England manager, last week following the mountain of negative headlines that have emanated from stories about a supposed affair between the defender and the ex-partner of his former Chelsea team-mate, Wayne Bridge.

Speaking in Vancouver today, Blatter described the response and reaction to Terry as being particularly "Anglo-Saxon" and claimed that in countries such as France, Italy and Spain, it would not be considered a problem.

"Listen, this is a special approach in the Anglo-Saxon countries," he said. "If this had happened in let's say Latin countries then I think he would have been applauded."