Thai For Beginners Benjawan Poomsan Becker Book

thaiguy55

Having taught myself Thai from multiple books, I can say that her books are among the best out there. Great material content, vocabulary, explanations, and building on lessons. SO many Thai books out there have myriad mistakes either in translations, in the Thai, or in the English, or even straight-up bad grammar that it's just shocking. But not K. Poomsan Becker's books; I'm her fan. Of course to actually speak, you're gonna have to hit the streets n be willing to make plenty of mistakes practicing what you learn. Go visit K. UG, I suppose.

Look for the version with the CD ROM of a native Thai speaker (maybe Becker herself?) speaking all the Thai in the book. They do a great job of listing each page number from the book on the CD, also. I downloaded the CD onto my MP3 player and listen along when I study the book.

Her book ‘Thai for Beginners’ is not on the reading list for those medical students, attending medical school in my home country, who are planning their elective in Thailand. It is unnecessarily complex to the point where she seems to have confused here self.

Instead James Higbie’s book Essential Thai is recommended.

It is available from the book shop opposite the Mad Dog as is the more advanced version.

g

Look for the version with the CD ROM of a native Thai speaker (maybe Becker herself?) speaking all the Thai in the book. They do a great job of listing each page number from the book on the CD, also. I downloaded the CD onto my MP3 player and listen along when I study the book.

Yes that is the version that Robinsons had. Comes with 2 CD's

Also very good is Pimsleurs Thai

30 audio lessons & available for download if you do a search. :)

Edited by flying