Police Seized 1.6 Million Ya Ba Tablets And 2 Kg Of "ice"

webfact

Police land another huge drugs haul in latest raid

By DIEW KHONGSIN

THE NATION ON SUNDAY

Published on January 31, 2010

gallery_327_1086_8189.jpg

SAMUT PRAKARN: -- Police yesterday seized 1.6 million ya ba tablets and 2 kilograms of "ice" together worth about Bt30 million from a townhouse in Samut Prakan's Muang district.

The huge haul was the latest in a series of drug raids over the past week that have netted more than 2.8 million methamphetamine pills.

Yesterday's raid was a follow-up to a crackdown in the Klong Toei district of Bangkok.

A Klong Toei raid on Thursday turned up 200,000 ya ba pills and a tablet-making device from Yongyut (also known as Prakob) Veeraphan, 44, and Phumin Klaikaeo, 45.

The raid led to the arrest on Friday of a man identified as Nanthaphong Rattanakornkaeojinda, 30, after police found more than 1 million ya ba tablets worth Bt200 million in his rented home in Samut Prakan's Bang Phli district.

The raid in Klong Toei also resulted in police shooting dead suspect Manop Changkhlaikhom, 39, on a Bangkok expressway and confiscating 50,000 ya ba pills hidden in his pickup on Friday.

Meanwhile, Nanthaphong confessed that another 1.6 million ya ba pills were hidden inside a two-storey townhouse in Rompho village on Thepharak Road.

Narcotics Suppression Bureau police and 50 commandos subsequently searched the townhouse yesterday, as well as another townhouse in the same village that they were informed Nanthaphong had rented to a man responsible for keeping the drugs.

They found the 1.6 million ya ba pills in the Rompho townhouse but nothing illicit in the second property. They did however find a rental contract identifying Phaisarn Phattanakhiri as the tenant. Police believe Phaisarn is connected with Nanthaphong, and that he fled the townhouse before they arrived.

Deputy national police chief General Priewphan Damapong said police had been following the gang for a month and that most of them were Lisu hilltribesmen who often changed their names. They come from the northern provinces of Chiang Mai and Chiang Rai.

On learning the drugs were stashed at 10 locations, police initiated a series of raids.

Checkpoints on highways in Mae Hong Son, Chiang Mai and Chiang Rai will be beefed up and suspect vehicles will be inspected carefully as part of the operation, he said.

Pol Lt-General Adithep Panjamanont, commander of the Narcotics Suppression Bureau, said eight suspected members of the network had been arrested to date and another - the man shot in Bangkok on Friday - had died. They will issue an arrest warrant for another suspect who had fled.

Nanthaphong reportedly brought the drugs retrieved Friday and yesterday from a neighbouring country and hid them under tiles in a pickup.

Adithep attributed the recent higher degree of successful drug busts partially on an announcement by a neighbouring country that in 2014 it would be free of drug trafficking. He did not say which country had made the announcement.

This had pressured law-enforcement agencies to crack down on minority groups producing drugs on its border with Thailand.

Moreover, the suspects arrested in two drugs and weapons cases last month confessed they had exchanged their drugs for weapons for use in fighting the authorities cracking down on them.

Police knew more about the drugs network as a result, Adithep said.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2010-01-31

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

Narcotics police and 50 commandos searched the townhouse yesterday...

Not many space left for effective searching if you ask me. :D

2.8 million methamphetamine pills and 2 kilo Ice...

Police had been following the gang for a month...

On learning the drugs were stashed at 10 locations...

8 suspected members of the network had been arrested...

Only 8 ? :D

Police knew more about the drugs network as a result, Adithep said...

:D

In 2014 it would be free of drug trafficking...

Hehe... really ? :)

" 1.6 million ya ba tablets and 2 kilograms of "ice" together worth about Bt30 million from a townhouse in Samut Prakan's Muang district... The raid led to the arrest on Friday of a man identified as Nanthaphong Rattanakornkaeojinda, 30, after police found more than 1 million ya ba tablets worth Bt200 million in his rented home in Samut Prakan's Bang Phli district."

one estimation is ten times off the mark.

which one is correct?

IN tough economic times people turn to drugs more,

and others turn to dealing more, and in bigger quantities.

Not surprising with the world meltdown of the last year,

that more drugs get busted.

Good that this is getting taken out of circulation, or at least most of it.

Knowing that some percentage will likely be back on the street via a 'different channel'.

Still any of this gone is still a good thing.

Good job !!!, ya-ba is ruining the lives of many people i know here in Pattaya, wish they could totally get rid of it one day. Its not impossible, look how heroin is (almost) no longer to be found here, and heroin was very common only few years ago. All over Thailand.

Good job !!!, ya-ba is ruining the lives of many people i know here in Pattaya, wish they could totally get rid of it one day. Its not impossible, look how heroin is (almost) no longer to be found here, and heroin was very common only few years ago. All over Thailand.

Amen to that. Ya-ba (meth) comes from the devil himself as far as I am concerned. Anyone who needs to understand just how fast meth can turn a relatively normal person into the paranoid walking dead incapable of being able to feel any pleasure, needs to read up on this horrid substance.

Amen to that. Ya-ba (meth) comes from the devil himself as far as I am concerned. Anyone who needs to understand just how fast meth can turn a relatively normal person into the paranoid walking dead incapable of being able to feel any pleasure, needs to read up on this horrid substance.

Another related question: Does anyone have any reliable data on the rumors I am hearing that Africans, particularly Nigerians, have been coming to BKK in greater numbers over the last several months (years?) for the primary purpose of dealing drugs and running various scams? I know of a couple of Canadian guys who were ripped off by a Nigerian gang to the tune of USD 10,000 very recently. My understanding is these people work the Sukhumvit Soi 3 area and also certain late-nite discos.

Good job ! This stuff is the devil indeed, makes you paranoid like h*ll... Worse than heroin as well, it makes you nuts and agressive, the more, the crazier it gets.. heroin doesn't as much do that .. So any red pill off the streets is an improvement !

Another related question: Does anyone have any reliable data on the rumors I am hearing that Africans, particularly Nigerians, have been coming to BKK in greater numbers over the last several months (years?) for the primary purpose of dealing drugs and running various scams? I know of a couple of Canadian guys who were ripped off by a Nigerian gang to the tune of USD 10,000 very recently. My understanding is these people work the Sukhumvit Soi 3 area and also certain late-nite discos.

Well, we can’t talk about the color of anybody’s skin, but for fact: yes, a lot of Nigerians (some with fake Ghanese or other Passports) the so called Nigerian connections are running the coke business for quite a long time. And some of them become educators after bringing a load in this country.

Please don’t get me wrong, not being a racist, but I’ve met a woman from there, asking me about a safer place to smuggle coke. (I guess with better prisons and less years of lost freedom) From Colombia, Venezuela, Bolivia and other places in South America to Ghana/Nigeria and then to Europe and Asia. I’ve heard that too many times:

Wanna bai sum cocaan maaan? :)

Narcotics police and 50 commandos searched the townhouse yesterday...

Not many space left for effective searching if you ask me. :D

2.8 million methamphetamine pills and 2 kilo Ice...

Police had been following the gang for a month...

On learning the drugs were stashed at 10 locations...

8 suspected members of the network had been arrested...

Only 8 ? :D

Police knew more about the drugs network as a result, Adithep said...

:D

In 2014 it would be free of drug trafficking...

Hehe... really ? :)

Adithep attributed the recent higher degree of successful drug busts partially on an announcement by a neighbouring country that in 2014 it would be free of drug trafficking. He did not say which country had made the announcement.

You should read the text more carefully....

" 1.6 million ya ba tablets and 2 kilograms of "ice" together worth about Bt30 million from a townhouse in Samut Prakan's Muang district... The raid led to the arrest on Friday of a man identified as Nanthaphong Rattanakornkaeojinda, 30, after police found more than 1 million ya ba tablets worth Bt200 million in his rented home in Samut Prakan's Bang Phli district."

which one is correct?

I would say neither of the numbers are correct......

1kg ICE is anything from 1.2M to 800k so that makes 2.4 to 1.6M Baht total

Yabba bought outside Thailand on that volume would be around 30 Baht a go so 2.6M tablets is 78,000,000 Baht

Street price in Thailand for the Yabba is 200/250 Baht which takes the normally (more dramatic) value to 520,000,000 Baht

I don't understand why there is no consistency in the publishing of the 'value' of a seize. Different articals from the same newspaper will have widly differing numbers, is this to play down the ones that they know will be paying themselves off the charge I wonder?????

which one is correct?

Yabba bought outside Thailand on that volume would be around 30 Baht a go so 2.6M tablets is 78,000,000 Baht

Street price in Thailand for the Yabba is 200/250 Baht which takes the normally (more dramatic) value to 520,000,000 Baht

I don't understand why there is no consistency in the publishing of the 'value' of a seize. Different articals from the same newspaper will have widly differing numbers, is this to play down the ones that they know will be paying themselves off the charge I wonder?????

Oh .. that's because various police officers are negotiating various prices for re-sale of those drugs ;-)

In Miami in the 80's the police were seizing hundreds of kilos of coke every week. Despite that fact, there was clearly no shortage of the drug on the streets because ten times as much was getting around officials and into the city.

This is exactly the same sort of situation. While some folks might see this as a 'win' for law enforcement, I see it as a sign of the real amount of methamphetamines being transported, sold and used in Thailand. In my opinion prohibition simply does not work. Treat drugs as an educational, social and medical issue, not a legal one and you will see real decreases in up-take rates.

Oh .. that's because various police officers are negotiating various prices for re-sale of those drugs ;-)

What the police don't disclose all the drugs they seize and then resell them?

Where does the money go, to a charity?

Why dont the people that get caught and charged with 5000 yabba not tell the court that they had 10,000 yabba and ask where the other 5000 go? :)

Before I get flamed the sarcasm is dripping all over my keyboard........

Well done to the BiB...it is good to see something is being done about the ya-ba peddlers in Samut Prakarn...they are a real menace in Paknam with many young lives being ruined by this evil drug.

In Miami in the 80's the police were seizing hundreds of kilos of coke every week. Despite that fact, there was clearly no shortage of the drug on the streets because ten times as much was getting around officials and into the city. This is exactly the same sort of situation.

in the us of a it was the cia bringing coke, to finance contras.

in thailand it's army, police and politicians finansing their new merc.

same same

which one is correct?

i would estimate the 2nd one is more accurate - i very much doubt they are sold on for 19 baht each

Well, we can't talk about the color of anybody's skin, but for fact: yes, a lot of Nigerians (some with fake Ghanese or other Passports) the so called Nigerian connections are running the coke business for quite a long time. And some of them become educators after bringing a load in this country.

Please don't get me wrong, not being a racist, but I've met a woman from there, asking me about a safer place to smuggle coke. (I guess with better prisons and less years of lost freedom) From Colombia, Venezuela, Bolivia and other places in South America to Ghana/Nigeria and then to Europe and Asia. I've heard that too many times:

Wanna bai sum cocaan maaan? :)

@ Sisaketmike

I see you have been keeping quality company, Mike of Sisakate, I think you know more that you are telling here.

I am a Nigerian and been since 1998. I am not an educator(whatever that means) and I did not bring in a load. On average I pay about 1 million baht to the Thai revenue dept in taxes every year. 

You are not a racist because you hang out with criminals? 

Edited by MegaRanter

If this were an effective tactic for controlling drugs, it would have worked a long time ago. It's crazy to keep trying to enforce the same drug laws in essentially the same way. I understand the notion, "drum are badddd 'mmmmm 'kkk?!" But in countries where education is emphasized, uptake in lower!

Ban the Prohibition!

:)

• 5 months later...

which one is correct?

para why are we talking about the value of the drugs why are we not happy that so many peoples lives have been saved due to that amount of drugs taken of the streets.

But there is also a group of men taking drugs from south america to ozz a good friend of mine informs me that they go via thailand and sell some of there product hear. Some times all of it how are we going to help our thai friends to stop taking drugs when our fellow country men are bang at it.

Well if anyone were to read up on it they might understand the difference between meth and heroin in enforcement terms. Heroin requires large poppy fields, not easily concealed hence the reduction in recent years in Thailand. Meth simply requires certain chemicals, the main one of which is produced legally in industrial amounts in China and easily diverted onto the black market. Given the porous borders that surround Thailand you will never solve this by enforcement alone and the longer you go down that path the worst the problem becomes.