Finding A Hotel - Not Pre-booked

counrikke

Hi there,

Ive done a forum search but not really been able to find out what I need :)

I am wondering, whats the likely hood of just flying over, taking a taxi to wherever (in my case, chiang mai / phuket) and looking for a cheap/decent place to stay.

Probably a week at a time, give or take a few days.

and would it generally be cheaper doing it that way? last time I went I prebooked and when I got there, I noticed the prices were different as to quoted on the website and what I had to pay.

and what should I expect to pay for your average 1 bed, fridge toilet type hotel?

Thanks again

in the next week you will get no doubt a barrage of well-meant advice. And also a lot of bisnisseekers and passing bisnis on to friends. BUT the point is: there is no clear answer as your Q is unspecified-what ''cheap'' is for nr 1 is medium for nr 2 etc.

The REALLY very cheap places (tend to be despised by 95% of TV-posters) do not even take advance bookings and are not on www or whatever site. that means: walk in-which should clearly answer your question. They also do not discount-but hey-a discount on a 200 bt room (no AC, of course) cannot be a big one, nah?

In the medium bracket its half/half-some as above-some rely on web, some on both.

Then there is season-as about anywhere in this world tourist places have high and low season. I presume you have travelled before and know what that means. Disocunts tend to be more readily given in low season. In Thaild it often also assumes you book more as 1-2 nights and pay up front, and there is never no money back. Wise people tend to cautiously pay full 1 night-there may be hidden surpsies you would never ever ever thought of-like a disco till 3.00 or a pigslaughterplace starting at 4.30.

Getting a taxi may not work-your driver (and even taxis are non existent in many places-thats tuktuk) will try to steer you to commission paying places far away-giving him more rides to bring you to the sights.

The answer IMHO is quite easy and a year or 5 ago obvious for anyone: buy a guidebook-and see what they list-there will be numerous other places nearby and it will give transprot directions. easy as pie-they say in english.

Also Phuket tends to be far more expensive as average Thaild-and Cmai is easily the bottom end. If you watch your money avoid phuket-and certainly its taxi-maffia.

if you travel backpakcer style-then try another forum, like thailandqa or lonelyplanet.com/thorntree. This forum tends to attract a lot of expats with vested bisnis interests also.

What you pay depends on the place, Chiang Mai tends to be cheaper than Bangkok), the date and the kind of service you are looking for. If you want a little better place than the average backpackers hotel/guesthouse, it is advised to book in advance. You can negotiate a better deal than if you just walk in and also through travel agencies you can often get a better deal.

Also don't only look at the price, but also consider if breakfast is included.

I was also going to ask when you are coming. Like someone else already said, that will make a difference.

Personally, I prefer to book ahead just for the peace of mind. I like to do a lot of research before I travel so that I know exactly where I want to stay. It's really hot here, and I hate arriving at a new place and having to lug my bags around and get all sweaty while trying to search for a place to stay...not to mention having to weed through all the guys at the train station/airport/pier/etc. who are trying to convince you to stay at their hotel. I prefer to brush past them and know that I don't even have to look. Plus, with my limited Thai, it's not always easy to get answers to my questions about the hotels, and I suck at negotiating. It's just an added stress I don't want. I would rather have more time for sightseeing and not waste the time looking around for the best hotel. However, many of my friends don't pre-book their hotels, especially in the low season, and they (almost) never seem to have a problem finding a place to stay. I guess it depends on whether you prefer the adventure and excitement of arriving in new place with no plans, or the relaxation of knowing exactly where you're heading next. I prefer the latter. Maybe I'm just lazy, though. :)

One useful phrase to add to your vocabulary if you find yourself in a strange part of town with no obvious street signage for 'Hotel' or 'Room for Rent' and you manage to get the attention of a helpful passer-by might be "Long lamb tee nai."

I write it that way because it's easy to remember a 'long lamb'.

It means 'hotel' in pasa Thai. So, "Long lamb tee nai" is a question, "Hotel where is ?".

I live in Hua Hin and visit BKK about once a month for two nights. As a general rule, I use a website like Agoda or some such website. Use the same one regularly and get to know the standard of the feedback from previous guests.

Generally I stay at 3 star hotels and have never been able to negotiate a better rate then the website.

Hope this is of some use. Cheers

One useful phrase to add to your vocabulary if you find yourself in a strange part of town with no obvious street signage for 'Hotel' or 'Room for Rent' and you manage to get the attention of a helpful passer-by might be "Long lamb tee nai."

I write it that way because it's easy to remember a 'long lamb'.

It means 'hotel' in pasa Thai. So, "Long lamb tee nai" is a question, "Hotel where is ?".

Hotel is...Roong Reem...pronounce ...wrong rem I think long lamb may be a little confusing, that said the areas you have mentioned there would be many english speakers or those who understand completly if you speak in english