Meat Slicer

dinger

Wondering if anyone might know where I purchase an electric deli style meat slicer, the type used for slicing sandwich meats. This is for home use not commerical use, saw some in a shop in Pattaya but they were for commerical use and quite expensive.

Thanks for any ideas

Verasu here in Bangkok has what you want, some relatively low in price and others more expensive. The low price one is still a little expensive but all products are guaranteed. Most of their products are imported with some good stuff from Germany. Sadly, no store yet in Pattaya but on Wireless, Mall shopping centers and others. Web page is : http://www.verasu.com/

They have always did right by me.

I bought one of the home type slicers... about 4000 baht, I believe.... the one with the serrated blade.

The same thing I saw they have at Verasu.

Not very good at slicing meat thinly, especially bacon or hard salami... seriously underpowered and not sharp enough.

However, It did OK with my homemade cotto salami and thicker cuts of raw meat.

Really, I find it's best at slicing bread or vegies.

Edited by ChefHeat

I bought one of the home type slicers... about 4000 baht, I believe.... the one with the serrated blade.

Not very good at slicing meat thinly, especially bacon or hard salami... seriously underpowered and not sharp enough.

My wife is opening a second branch of her bakery. this branch is going to be a bakery/restaurant. Can commercial slicers smoothly slice bread. I thought a serrated blade would be necessary for that which would make it less useful for slicing meats.

My wife is opening a second branch of her bakery. this branch is going to be a bakery/restaurant. Can commercial slicers smoothly slice bread. I thought a serrated blade would be necessary for that which would make it less useful for slicing meats.

I dont see why a commercial slicer coulnd't do bread nicely ... those babies are super sharp.

However, if you are slicing entire loaves (sandwich slices that is) for sale ... there are machines that will slice the entire loaf in one shot. They have about 15 or 20 blades spaced apart; you just slide the loaf in sideways...and voila!! ... all is sliced and ready to bag up for sale.

The slicers at Verasu are definitely for home use only. I bought the one without the safety to slice biscotti type cookie loaves. After about 6 small loaves, the motor gets hot and I have to wait at least 30 minutes while it cools. I saw the commercial machines demonstrated at ThaiFex last June/July at Impact Exhibition Center. The good ones sliced through frozen meant like a hot knife through butter, the real thin slices for the restaurants. I just checked, the next show is May 12-16, 2010. They had lots of commercial equipment including the bread slicers. Think you can register online.

The slicers at Verasu are definitely for home use only. I bought the one without the safety to slice biscotti type cookie loaves. After about 6 small loaves, the motor gets hot and I have to wait at least 30 minutes while it cools. I saw the commercial machines demonstrated at ThaiFex last June/July at Impact Exhibition Center. The good ones sliced through frozen meant like a hot knife through butter, the real thin slices for the restaurants. I just checked, the next show is May 12-16, 2010. They had lots of commercial equipment including the bread slicers. Think you can register online.

I luv those shows... just wish I could afford to buy all the things I want!!

• 2 weeks later...

I luv those shows... just wish I could afford to buy all the things I want!!

I bought a Chef's Choice last year in the US for $80, but not a US-made one; I got the 610, which is made in China.  I was told it could be bought in Thailand as well, but a bird in the hand and all, I just bought it and carried it with me.

I use it for salamis and proscuitto, mostly, and it does fine.  I can slice the meat quite thin, and it does not overheat.  For the price, I think it tops anything I saw at ThaiFex last year.

I dont see why a commercial slicer coulnd't do bread nicely ... those babies are super sharp.

However, if you are slicing entire loaves (sandwich slices that is) for sale ... there are machines that will slice the entire loaf in one shot. They have about 15 or 20 blades spaced apart; you just slide the loaf in sideways...and voila!! ... all is sliced and ready to bag up for sale.

They don't work on harder breads like German Rye. Also, it seems that each machine is equpped to slice to a one certain thickness and that's all. If you want different thicknesses, you have to buy more machines.