Phantom Chrome Protection Bars

jubby

I don't even know what there called. The Chrome protection Bars you see on the front of some Phantons. I have them with foot rests on. My point is that I thought they were just accessories but I had my first real Bike accident a few days ago. Lady driving a Minibus pulled out onto the highway in front of me and stopped there. It was all over in a couple of seconds, needless to say I braked and lost control of the bike just before collision. Don't know how fast the impact was as its all a Blur. Anyway I had a small slide before hitting the vehicle one side of the Bar took the slide and the other stopped the Bike going under the Minibus. The front Bumber/Fender of the minibus came off in the impact. The Bars are a mess but the rest of the bike is fine exept for a few scratches on the front forks, Myself and passenger also escaped with very little damage. I'm pretty sure without the Bars things would have been very nasty something the Policeman also commented on.

I must have stayed on the bike during the slide as my hands were completely unscathed and gloveless.

So to cut a long story short, if you've got a phantom get some of these Bars.

Hi Jubby

Happy to hear that you and your passenger escaped without serious injury. We call them crash bars in the UK, had a set on my Phantom but took them off, may well be reinstalled toute suite, thanks for sharing.

Happy Trails

I was getting my bike cleaned, on the way home from a ride to town, and heard of your misfortune from the guys at the shop. Anyway, I guessed it might be you, but of course wasn't sure. Now I am.

Glad you are not hurt. Be safe out there on the roads. Hope I had something to do with you having those things on your bike.

I was getting my bike cleaned, on the way home from a ride to town, and heard of your misfortune from the guys at the shop. Anyway, I guessed it might be you, but of course wasn't sure. Now I am.

Glad you are not hurt. Be safe out there on the roads. Hope I had something to do with you having those things on your bike.

Like I say the Bars took all the impact, I didn't think they were upto the Job but glad I'm wrong. There a mess I may have problems getting them off. A new Bar , I was quoted 1800 baht. Can't remember what I paid last time but I suspect 'Farang' Inflation. Anyway I'm not paying.

Like I say, I'm sure I would have lost a leg without them. And the bike would have probably been a right-off.

I wasn't speeding lucklily but will certainly be adopting a more leasurely pace in future. She didn't see any Cars coming was all she could say, so decided to park in the middle of the road.

Its a miracle we weren't hurt, My passenger is putting it down to Karma and will be doing some serious Tambun - ing what ever its called in the next few days.

As for being safe I try but there are far too many Idiots out there. Accidents are inevitable , even for more experienced riders there's little you can do in a couple of seconds. A Bike with ABS would be nice.

I'm sold.. I have a 1999 custom Phantom.. looks like it will get "ugly" real soon.. As soon as I can find some bars to fit it.. great story and thanks for sharing..great little bikes..as that wee little "bay-bee" has grown to 100 kilos in 63 years and I find it is better than those certain death machines called a wave or a dream.. I cannot believe the way some Thai kids pass me up all the time at rates of speed I am afraid to travel at and I am sure my Phantom could.. but I continue on in those senior citizen lanes next to the sidewalks...

Another advantage to the Phantom. I have safety bars on mine. I know who I am and don't need to pose for anyone.

Are there safety bars for Ninjas, since that bike gets so much love around here? Or does your knee suffice?

A bit off topic for Fellow Phantom owners:

I had those crash bars added when I bought my Phantom four years ago (1,000 baht then)

and they've kept me unscathed in two accidents.

BUT do any of you know how to keep those bars looking clean and new? Within a few months,

they began changing color and/or rusting. Nothing I've tried has worked to restore the original

finish. (I think that's because they are not manufactured by Honda, but are made in Thailand.)

Any suggestions?

A bit off topic for Fellow Phantom owners:

I had those crash bars added when I bought my Phantom four years ago (1,000 baht then)

and they've kept me unscathed in two accidents.

BUT do any of you know how to keep those bars looking clean and new? Within a few months,

they began changing color and/or rusting. Nothing I've tried has worked to restore the original

finish. (I think that's because they are not manufactured by Honda, but are made in Thailand.)

Any suggestions?

I know when I was a Kid, there was a time when everyone seemed to get their PushBike re-chromed. There must be places here that do re-chroming .

I have some on My 2005 Phantom and touch wood I hope never to need them for that purpose.

It is nice to know in a way that they work.

I also have footplates for me and the passenger and I find they are very comfortable on a long trip such as to BKK (400 km).

They cost me around 900 baht in a soi off Soi Chulalongkorn in BKK.

I have a 175cc Kawasaki Boss which is approaching eleven years old and I had these bars fitted when I bought the bike.

Like many bike riders i’ve had a couple of accidents and each time the bars have done their job and given both myself and the bike a good level of protection.

I have them fitted front and rear.

At the moment i'm looking at buying a new bike and a 'must-do' is to have front and rear crash bars fitted.

I have a 175cc Kawasaki Boss which is approaching eleven years old and I had these bars fitted when I bought the bike.

Like many bike riders i’ve had a couple of accidents and each time the bars have done their job and given both myself and the bike a good level of protection.

I have them fitted front and rear.

At the moment i'm looking at buying a new bike and a 'must-do' is to have front and rear crash bars fitted.

Not Seen rear ones. any more details on them ?