Mag Wheels For Wifes Honda Wave

aitch52

Hi Guys

I have a 14 year old stepson, well two of them really, Lek (1) & Lek (2). Lek 1 is a nice kid, helpful and good hearted. When Lek 2 takes over though, Madonna!! What a sullen little pig headed prat.

So to cut a long story short, and as I have been working away he seemed to have taken posession of Mum's motorbike. So I got a tearful phone call midweek that Lek 2 has carried out some un-authorised mods to her bike to make it look cool. Using the money that Lek 1 had saved from work on the farm and doing chores. Those awful purple wheels and skinny tyres and an airfilter on the carb which is totally unsuitable. It sounds like an elephant breaking wind and refuses to allow the engine to tick over, probably making the mixture so lean it's gonna burn out the piston. By the time I got to looking the bike over it was dark and I had to leave to get back for work.

We had standard spoked wheels and tyres prior to this, so next weekend I plan to put it into the local dealer who I have a good understanding with and change the monstrosities for white Mags with the wider tyres.

Does anyone care to comment on how good or bad these wheels are or any other recommendations. I have searched this forum and also googled the net but just went round in circles. Needless to say both Leks are on stoppage of mo-cy at Her Majesties pleasure.

Thanks in advance

Livid in LOS

The good thing about alloy wheels is you can run tubeless tires on them.

Tubeless tires hold air longer than the tires that have to use innertubes as on the spoked wheelsets.

Spoked wire wheels should be able to be straightened if they are warped from a a pothole.

Alloys will crack and break and really shouldn't be fixed, just replaced.

If you get big fat tires they will help both kinds of wheels from getting damaged.

It would have to take a really big hit to crack an alloy wheel so unless it habitual to run over curbs at speed I'd get the alloys with some good fat sticky tires.

Have been using them for about the last four years on two different Waves, initially nothing but trouble with the front wheel, eventually discovered the pratt mechanic had put a shorter spacer between the bearings causing them to fail in short order, when I put the correct Honda Wave spacer in I had no further trouble.

To update, I rode the bike 17 kms to the local Honda shop, absolutely no give in the joke tyres whatsoever, it was if they were made of wood. Grip pah felt very slippery and scary, felt as if you leant over the rims would be scraping the tarmac. So the cost: new wheels white mags, 2800 baht, front tyre 450 baht, rear tyre 490 baht, air filter, housing and associated pipework 900 baht ( the village idiot had ditched all the stock air filter components). Will test and let you know what the bike is like when I get home tomorrow.

Aitch