Man murders drinking friend with concrete block after argument

webfact

kill-body.jpg

A tragic murder unfolded in Surin province when 67 year old man allegedly killed his 58 year old drinking companion by hitting him with a concrete block and then dragging his body with a motorcycle before dumping it in a canal.

The incident occurred at approximately 6.05pm yesterday. Police reported that the suspect Thip and the victim Wantong were drinking together when an argument escalated, leading to the fatal assault.

Thip reportedly used a concrete block to hit Wantong on the head, then tied a rope around his neck and dragged him with a motorcycle to a bridge between the villages of Ta Mao and Ta Piang, in the Ta Tum sub-district of Sangkha district, Surin province.

The body was dumped into the water under the bridge to conceal the crime.

Police apprehended Thip shortly after the incident, and he has since been charged with premeditated murder and concealing a body.

Today, reporters visited the victim’s home where a sombre atmosphere prevailed as family and friends prepared for Wantong’s funeral ceremonies tomorrow.

Funeral rites

Wantong’s only daughter, 21 year old Kamkaew along with relatives and monks, performed a ritual at the bridge where the body was found, calling for Wantong’s spirit to return home.

“The perpetrator acted with such cruelty. I will never forgive him. He hasn’t even come to ask for forgiveness from my father’s spirit. What did my father do to deserve such a cruel fate?

“I urge the police to impose the heaviest penalty possible. We believe my father was still alive when he was dragged, suffering greatly before dying in the water.”

A 74 year old homeowner Teuk, recounted that he was unaware of how frequently Thip and Wantong drank together. They rarely drank at his house but had gathered there yesterday afternoon.

Teuk was washing dishes when the incident occurred and returned to find the murder scene, with Wantong severely injured with blood covering his face. Shocked, he immediately rushed to inform the village head and the local authorities.

Upon his return, Wantong’s body was gone, later discovered under a bridge, approximately 200 metres from Teuk’s home.

Smooth investigation

Police Colonel Yuthana Jaturarat, head of Sangkha Police Station, revealed that the suspect was taken to reenact the crime scene earlier today, and the process proceeded smoothly.

The police are awaiting the autopsy results to confirm whether the victim was alive during the dragging or had already succumbed to the initial assault, reported Khaosod.

This gruesome event has left the local community in shock, as they mourn the loss of Wantong and grapple with the brutal nature of his death. The investigation continues as authorities seek to uncover the full details surrounding this tragic incident.

by Nattapong Westwood

Image courtesy of Khaosod

Source: The Thaiger 2024-05-20

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

An astonishing degree of 'friends' seems to end up killing each other in Thailand when boozed up... 

While in other area's the booze may drive people towards aggression and they they end up fighting, it seems there remains some restraint, in Thailand, particularly amongst those lower down on the notches of the socio-totempole they don't stop at fighting, but carryout their aggression to the death.

• Like 1

The police must show proof he planned and carried out the murder to make it premeditated. The story does not show this. If they do not charge him with the correct crime, can he win the case and be released? 

I am not sure how Thailand works their courts about this. The crime was violent for sure. The actions after do not sound as if it was planned but instead more likely a spurt of the moment decision,m hence not premeditated murder. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, webfact said:

Thip reportedly used a concrete block to hit Wantong on the head, then tied a rope around his neck and dragged him with a motorcycle to a bridge between the villages of Ta Mao and Ta Piang, in the Ta Tum sub-district of Sangkha district, Surin province.

The body was dumped into the water under the bridge to conceal the crime.

Close friends?

• Like 1

geez louise...seems to be the story of the week with this news

note to self do not drink with thai men.....or if currently doing so scan immed surroundings for weapons that could kill me

do not get into ANY disagreements.......pass the samgsom..and i thought i needed to be worried about the ALCOHOL....

to alcohol the cause and solution to all of lifes problems....and thai women....and apparently drunk thai dudes....yikes

I'll see your plant pot and raise you a concrete slab !

Then there was the fisherman who recently shot his best pal in the head with a speargun, in a drunken argument over who had the biggest tiddler ! 😁

2 hours ago, steven100 said:

tragic event.

they should have just had a boxing match ...   but that would be too sensible. 

Even better if you cant hold your drink, and they evidently couldnt, dont drink.

• Haha 1

Alcohol again. Much more dangerous than weed alcohol is responsible for more deaths than I've had hot dinners.

• Agree 1

Surin is renowned for hard core drinking - usually the old seezip is at fault.

That and a bit of yaba for good measure.

I live in Ta tum district - rife with it here.

2 hours ago, Will B Good said:

Obviously failed to cement a real relationship.

1 hour ago, Tom Parkinson said:

Well, one witness claimed the victim was bloodied, but still alive, after the initial attack. If so, dragging him behind a motorcycle and dumping him to die in a canal seems both premeditated and murderous. 

After being tw*tted with a concrete block, I'm sure he passed the slump test.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, PJ71 said:

Another one....... these have been almost daily recently.

What is wrong with these people, they're like savages....

Whatever do you mean? look at his nice shiny watch. hardly savage.

image.png.6cf69653a9597b381f90a1b9746665c9.png

• Love It 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Will B Good said:

Obviously failed to cement a real relationship.

Yes, concrete evidence to that effect.

Edited by dddave
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 2

Given their ages we can probably dismiss the yabba theory. It's more likely they were drinking Lao Khaow, I've seen it with my wifes family and neighbors some guys go totally feral when they are well past their limit.

I only had one good reason to remove my daughter from this country, and that was to give her a better , safer, life back home in the US, along with better schooling and job prospects. Reasons to move have increased exponentially in the last 6 years I've lived here. Thailand being a major trafficking country is one of them. People killing each other, like this, daily, over little to nothing is another. Daily traffic deaths is another, along with how women are looked at here by the men. Now there's another, me finding out my ex wife's boyfriend, because she wouldn't answer her phone when he called, choked her when she was at the bus stop to come back from Pattaya, where he lives and works, after visiting him, and threatened her, her family and my daughter. He doesn't realize what will happen if he tries anything with my daughter, as do many non thinkers here, but the reasons increase weekly here.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, steven100 said:

tragic event.

not tragic. this is the 2nd similar story this week where alcohol was the main factor in a murder. alcohol is a horrible drug when abused.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, AnotherOneHere said:

It might be just an unlucky accident. 🤔

cute (the comment not you) but far from witty like you thought it was. 

Edited by stoner

Alcohol is usually a contributor to disagreements.  Disagreements usually lead to losing face.  Losing face is the main killer in Thailand; apart from road deaths, of course.

22 hours ago, Purdey said:

Alcohol again. Much more dangerous than weed alcohol is responsible for more deaths than I've had hot dinners.

Unless you count the number of deaths south of the USA border over who supplies the potheads in the USA.

On 5/20/2024 at 6:33 AM, PJ71 said:

Another one....... these have been almost daily recently.

What is wrong with these people, they're like savages....

That's what could happen if you live in Issan, strange people indeed.

• Agree 1

On 5/20/2024 at 1:15 PM, steven100 said:

tragic event.

I think a thumb war match would be about right just guessing at the significance of the disagreement.

It ought to be taught in schools.

"One, two, three, four, I declare thumb war".

Would save some lives if this became the go to method of conflict resolution.