Baggage Allowance For Sports Equipment On Flights

sparkey

Has anybody had any recent experience in bringinging their sports equipment to Thailand. You used to get extra allowance for golf clubs etc. In my case it's my fishing box, tackle and rods. I've heard that a lot of airlines have now done away this extra. Was just wondering if any one had flown recently with their equipment included in their ticket price. If anyone has please let me know the airline/s as it will save me a lot of hunting around.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Sparkey

Every airline has different rules and within each airline there could be a different fee depending on whether you are flying from the US, Europe or Australia. Different rules for different types of sporting equipment too. All the major airlines give details on their website.

fwiw, I've never flown with fishing equipment but I regularly fly with a bicycle. On Cathay Pacific there is no charge to/from North America. Thai Airways website says they charge, but they rarely do. All of the US based airlines charge.

You are wise to find out the fee before you buy the ticket.

Every airline has different rules and within each airline there could be a different fee depending on whether you are flying from the US, Europe or Australia. Different rules for different types of sporting equipment too. All the major airlines give details on their website.

fwiw, I've never flown with fishing equipment but I regularly fly with a bicycle. On Cathay Pacific there is no charge to/from North America. Thai Airways website says they charge, but they rarely do. All of the US based airlines charge.

You are wise to find out the fee before you buy the ticket.

You're right I got caught by Eva once, said no problem at booking up to 25 kgs.Checkin charged me excess baggage.

I'm flying from Heathrow, as live next door, so it looks as if it's gonna have to be Gulf or Oman air with their 30 kg allowance. Flights aren't so good though.

any other suggestions

Edited by sparkey

I would think on how big your rod,reel/tackle are? if you are planning to bring some deep sea rod & reel, for sure they'll charge you.

If your equipment (retractible rod + tackle box can fit into your suitcase (large one) then should be good to go.

but as the earlier commenter suggested, call the airline up to confirm your inquiry. good luck into your fishing expedition.

3 six ft rod tubes banded together

plus a seat box and a decent landing net and pole. This is my old gear I don't use in the uk.

hoping to be lucky fishing cheers rfukata

Now I can't find a cheap oman air flight at the end of may so it's getting worse by the minute