Forum upgrade in progress! ×

Shipping Your Motorcycle Via The Thai Post Office

GungaDin

Hi Guys,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, If i sold my PCX to a guy in Korat................. and he wanted it sent by the post office from Bang Na to Korat how is the paperwork done.......... coz obviously at this end its in my name, but at the other end when he collects he could be anybody collecting it.

I sold my Nouvo very recently and shipped to Chiang Mai.

First thing I did after agreeing the sale.......asked the buyer to provide copy of passport ID page along with contact information. Asked for copy of address on WP (if have) or copy of visa.

On receipt of those I agreed to post the Green Book alone. On receipt of Green Book the buyer would pay a substantial deposit, in this case it was 50%. On receipt of that money I would then agree to post the bike transfer forms, along with copies of passport, visa etc.

Once the buyer received the docs he would then make full and final payment. I then posted the bike.

In my case it worked out very well.

• 3 weeks later...

anyone tried a 200kg big bike like Kawasaki Ninja650R?

Phuket - Hua Hin

I bought a friend's ER6n and he sent it to me via Thailand Post Logispost from Chiang Mai to Bangkok and it suffered about 20,000 Baht of damage along the way...

Seems it fell off the shipping pallet somewhere along the way and that other stuff fell on top of the bike so when I received it and saw the damage I was a bit shocked.

Deep gashes in the tank, chunks of metal gouged out of both wheels, throttle grip destroyed, Givi fly screen bent and scuffed, scratches to engine covers, fork lowers, etc.

post-56035-0-67054400-1308752529_thumb.j

post-56035-0-22396600-1308752734_thumb.j

post-56035-0-87681100-1308752810_thumb.j

post-56035-0-81165700-1308752854_thumb.j

post-56035-0-98174000-1308752887_thumb.j

A real shame too as the original owner had had custom paint done and had always kept the bike immaculate.

Unfortunately he did not purchase optional insurance from Thailand Post and his insurance had already expired so he ended up eating the 20k baht in damages.

And as if that wasn't bad enough, he also sent the keys along with the bike and somewhere along the way someone had fired it up and melted all the bubble wrap to the headers creating an ungodly mess...

So, while I've heard mostly good stories about shipping bikes via Thailand Post Logispost, I think I'll give them a miss and ride the bike to its destination!

Happy Trails!

Tony

Thanks Tony

Guess it works fine with ordinary scoots, but when they handle something "exotic", they start drewel. Same thing when we imported us cars to Europe, mainstream cars no problem ro-ro, but exotics had to go in container.

and 200kg Ninjas need more than elastics to stay in position on truck

• 1 month later...

Its a good service,I used it fom C Rai to Samui(around 2 weeks and cost 3000 if I remember correctly)the only problem was getting the parcel tape off the saddle but you could put

a cover on that yourself,make sure the bike is taxed etc.

WD-40 will often remove it

• 9 years later...

I asked PO in Koh Samui to ship a 300cc bike to CM. 

They want 7400 baht ???? It gets way cheaper if you have 150cc which was about 3780 baht.

More info on their website here: https://www.thailandpost.co.th/un/article_detail/product/561/64

If you can read thai, feel free to check the rates here: 

http://file.thailandpost.com/upload/content/new55_Logispost_88390.pdf

Edited by racket

• 7 months later...
8 hours ago, tlandtday said:

generally very good particularly for smaller bikes... I think you can go to thailand post and they will show the prices online by size and distance

Thanks.

I saw a very good article when I googled the subject, with all the bike sizes, zones and prices detailed for Thai Post, and the authors personal experiences, with glowing praise of that service.

I was just curious to know if anyone had tried the accompanied cargo route on the railways. I presume that would be the mode of transport for the Thai Post method also, but at least you would be able to load and check it's handling along the way, as well as getting yourself to your destination, assuming you are travelling there also, which I would be. Load up, climb aboard, get some shut eye, hop off and climb back on the bike at the other end, sounds like the plan for me if I run out of steam, and don't want to do the return trip home from North to South.  

• 1 year later...
On 5/11/2021 at 9:19 PM, Tofer said:

Thanks.

I saw a very good article when I googled the subject, with all the bike sizes, zones and prices detailed for Thai Post, and the authors personal experiences, with glowing praise of that service.

I was just curious to know if anyone had tried the accompanied cargo route on the railways. I presume that would be the mode of transport for the Thai Post method also, but at least you would be able to load and check it's handling along the way, as well as getting yourself to your destination, assuming you are travelling there also, which I would be. Load up, climb aboard, get some shut eye, hop off and climb back on the bike at the other end, sounds like the plan for me if I run out of steam, and don't want to do the return trip home from North to South.  

As an update to my earlier question, I can now confirm the availability of the rail cargo option for moving a motorcycle around the country. 

I eventually completed my 7 week and almost 7,000kms ride around the country and, as I thought, did not wish to repeat the journey South to Krabi from Bangkok, since there's only one rural route aside from the highway, which wasn't that appealing in the first instance. 

I booked myself into a 2nd class sleeper berth, and my Forza 350 bike into the cargo compartment on the same train from Bangkok to Surat Thani, for a total bargain cost of approximately 1,900 baht. The procedure was all well explained by the helpful staff in Bangkok station cargo booking office. I was required to present the bike no later than 1 hour before departure time, and 3 staff, who loaded and secured it in the baggage compartment, were quite happy with a 150-baht tip between them.

The top box had to be removed and, I presume, panier boxes would meet the same requirement.

On arrival at Surat Thani, the bike was being offloaded as I walked down the platform, I climbed on and rode out of the station. No dramas, no damage, I would certainly recommend this option for anyone moving their bike around the country. 

I did discover, in Pratchuap Kiri Khan, that bikes in excess of 150cc need to be loaded at the main stations where the train originates, presumably because the intermediate stations are not staffed to handle large / heavy cargo.

What surprised me was the number of bikes being loaded, yet they didn't have a jack up platform to save them the stress of manhandling the heavy bikes from the platform into and out of the train. Obviously not heard of health and safety in Thailand.

Edited by Tofer
  • Like 1

I also sent a PCX 150 via the Thai post from Koh Lanta Island to Lop Buri for around 3,000 baht, in August 2022.

It was carefully packed and protected in our local post office, was loaded into a post office van, then delivered to the doorstep of the recipient by the same van. I was assured it would not be transferred onto any other mode of transport, a great, cheap service.

Edited by Tofer