New In Norbis Nnrestaurant

bushmill

How about a smile?

I haven't seen one of them in there yet.........

John..... :)

Hi John

I have found both Norby and Noi to be much more friendly now and I have no ulterior motives as I am just another infrequent customer.

Its good things are changing with the times for us permanant residents of Surin.

Dave

How about a smile?

I haven't seen one of them in there yet.........

John..... :)

Hi John

I have found both Norby and Noi to be much more friendly now and I have no ulterior motives as I am just another infrequent customer.

Its good things are changing with the times for us permanant residents of Surin.

Dave

Alrght Dave, how's England? :D

I also have no ulterior motives, I am merely saying I have been in there a few times in the past and mine host was never the friendliest or even resembled chirpy. Hence I and many, many other people don't go in there anymore. It's a shame because he has a nice place there with lots to offer. I am quite happy to patronise any establishment as long as I recieve decent service, that's why I usually frequent Thai bars, even if alone, as I get more conversation out of them and service with a smile, a smile and a hello goes a long way in the restaurant/bar business Dave, and, I am truly ecstatic that Norby may have cheered up after all these years in Surin and wish him well in the future.

John.....

Edited by johnsurin

• 3 months later...

Nobby has never been "mister kind" ! But he is a hard working farang. His wife Noi is OK. I know Nobby for more than 17 years now and he is OK but sometimes (...always...) a grouser. But his food is OK and his servive too unless you want a big smile. Appreciate the man for his food and forget the other things. It is a pity he left Nongkhai but his stuff is still for sale here.

Nobby has never been "mister kind" ! But he is a hard working farang. His wife Noi is OK. I know Nobby for more than 17 years now and he is OK but sometimes (...always...) a grouser. But his food is OK and his servive too unless you want a big smile. Appreciate the man for his food and forget the other things. It is a pity he left Nongkhai but his stuff is still for sale here.

And the fantastic German Beers!

I will be sorry IF he now leaves Surin.

I believe this is the same guy that set up in Buriram with Manfred in charge?????

To be honest Manfred gets alot more trade in there than Norbi ever did.

Seems to be the same as many people are saying. Manfred comes over and says hello and smiles alot. His wife is also very polite and charming.

Good German beer and,unlike before,they now serve Thai beer. The food is good too.

• 2 weeks later...

Last weekend on our usual fortnightly visit to Surin for a night out Myself and a couple of friends were looking forward to going to the "New Look" Norbi's bar.We ventured out at 7-30pm, ate good food at the Starbeam, had a drink in a couple of local thai bars, then at about 9-45-10pm we headed for Norbi's. Imagine our dissapointment when we found it closed, where was the live music he advertised on this forum.It seems obvious that Norbi is not suited to running bars( although I am told that he ran a great restaurant in Buri Ram).No disrespect to Norbi but running a bar takes an awful lot of commitment, and you have to be there as many hours as is physically possible.I have said on this forum before that his bar is in a great position, but only if he was prepared to open the same hours as all the surrounding thai bars.Later that evening my friends and myself were discussing what Norbi could do, and we came to the conclusion that he has 2 options.Firstly he can continue as he is at present, struggle on, and eventually probably close down.His second option, and the one we felt would be his best one, was to go the whole hog(shit or bust) extend his opening hours,put on a full farang menu, and really go for the entertainment option, regular live music,a good choice of music cd's when no live music, and also some nice ladies in the evening, and these ladies don't have to be your usual bar girls, just pleasant ladies to speak to the customers(obviously if the customer wants more that is up to the ladies).But most importantly he needs to employ an experienced bar manager to run the place for him.Someone who will communicate with his customers and listen to what they want then do his best to provide it.Norbi may say that he can't afford to pay a manager, but in all honesty can he afford not to.I have run bars in England for 30 years, so I think that I know what I am talking about,and as I have said I mean no disrespect to Norbi, but it takes a special breed of people to run bars, it is a job you either love or hate, there is no in between in this game.In fact it is not a job it is a way of life.Just a couple of last points, firstly get rid of all those plants outside and open up the terrace, and secondly find somewhere else to put all that stock that is cluttering up the bar and making it look very untidy, oh and get a big screen tv for sport.I would love to speak to norbi and offer him some advice, so if anyone reading this knows him, then please feel free to tell him to pm me.Once again no disrespect to norbi, because anyone who opens a service industry business deserves all the successs they get.

You speak some sense there IMHO. I would disagree with you on one point; With the exception of the Elephant Festival and Xmas, there are not enough farang regular drinkers in Surin to make this work.

As you suggest he is in a good spot opposite Speed3 Disco where 99% of punters there are Thai youngsters. Just count the number of scoots all around Norbies every Friday/Saturday night.

I am unsure if the Live Music will return

As an aside, although its still open, the place in Buriram was too, up for sale recently.

Edited by Dave the Dude

Hi Dave I appreciate what you are saying about there not being enough farangs around at the moment, but remember this was just 3 friends putting forward ideas on how he could improve his bar.The other thing is,we went in the farang connection when we were there just for a quick cuppa, and to be honest the place although clean really is lacking something, it is definately more a restaurant than a bar, and devoid of any atmosphere. We found the sportsman bar across the road a much more user friendly place, and we also noticed that they have extended into next door, so there must be some scope around there.As I am not a surin resident i can't really argue the point about how many farangs are around, but I still feel that Norbis has great potential, and as i recall the rent was not very high, so i hope he either has a go,or for his own sake before it eats up all his money he finds a buyer.

Hi guys apologies for my posting appearing twice something to do with the moderators not being sure if my message was promoting a business,anyway although my posts are worded slightly differently the message is the same

Near-duplicate message deleted at request of poster. My apologies too!

Just have been in NNrestaurant and found there some good stuff. I think that Norbi is doing a lot in the last time special his new Discountcard and his daily Happy Hours. For myself i like it. Check it out and visit him or check is homepage.

Just have been in NNrestaurant and found there some good stuff. I think that Norbi is doing a lot in the last time special his new Discountcard and his daily Happy Hours. For myself i like it. Check it out and visit him or check is homepage.

The tins of Marsdens Pedigree British Ale for 55b during the Happy Hour, is a great price IMO!

Actually Dave, as we know, the whole sorted rumoured affairs about such change and demise are mystifying. A long-time hangout in Surin....has seen better days. Farang competition has changed dramatically in Surin over the last couple of years - and these folks are feeling it. It's not like he's the only two {Martin/FC} on the black anymore.

Maybe things have moved on since I last spoke to him, Edward?

For short, I was confused, NOBBY?

I thought that thread was about NORBERT from Germany who runs NOBBIS Restaurant in Udon Thani with his always friendly Thai GF,

makes his own meatstuff, sausage ect. he is a butcher and has also his own second porkfarm running.

Second farm because one farm he had to leave with his first Thai wife. (One son)

But as I realized that is a coincidence, not the same Nobby(i).

So what other bars/restaurants are happening at the moment in Surin

Good question. Not too much.

There are however a couple of large Thai restaurants being built between Town and BigC area.

Starbeam restaurant opened last year, nice A/c'd restaurant with live music ever other Friday. Owner, Mike is a really nice American guy.

New Circular coffee shop/restaurant at the entrance of Soi Kola is supposed to be good, as is the Large new restaurant opposite Majestic Twin apartments (both venues owned by Majestic)

All the old places, sort off still there.

Alfredo This related to Surin, although not in OP title :)

:D

Dave

Edited by Dave the Dude

So what other bars/restaurants are happening at the moment in Surin

.....Alfredo This related to Surin, although not in OP title :)

:D

Dave

Just remedied that--added subtitle. Cheers to y'all down in Surin Province.

TT

Just remedied that--added subtitle. Cheers to y'all down in Surin Province.

TT

I like to give a few hints sometimes cos I know its a hard life in the 'hotseat'

:)

Hey, I'm all ears. PM (personal message) me anytime! jap.gif