Is This Appropriate?

Luang

My partner went for an interview with a foreign owned and managed company recently.

One of the questions was wether she lived with her parents. They then went on to ask what her parents did for a living.

This kind of thing just wouldn't happen in Europe (European company) so why do they feel the need/right to do it here?

I was furious, but she isn't aware of the connotations.

In all my years in Europe i have never been or never known anyone being asked such questions. I can only conclude that they are negatively stereotyping Thai females. This was days ago and i'm still just simmering, i found it so offensive.

Am i missing something here that i havent considered?

Umm...

I don't think there should be any restrictions on the questions asked.

A job interview is not only about the company finding the right employee, but also about finding the right employer.

If one doesn't like the questions, walk.

Also, I think it is a fair game.

People are free to ask what they want and applicants are free to imagine any reply they like (lie).

Its there interview they can ask what they want and you can reply in anyway you want, if a company was so offensive then just dont work for them.

The one interview i had in LOS was great all sorts of un PC stuff about how desireable Thai women are, slagging off Nigerians, Lazy English taking tax money etc.. came out the interviewers mouth, was the most honest interview ive ever had.

Umm...

A job interview is not only about the company finding the right employee, but also about finding the right employer.

People are free to ask what they want and applicants are free to imagine any reply they like (lie).

And why would your parents influence your abilities to do a particular job?

I know mine certainly never have.

Its there interview they can ask what they want and you can reply in anyway you want, if a company was so offensive then just dont work for them.

The one interview i had in LOS was great all sorts of un PC stuff about how desireable Thai women are, slagging off Nigerians, Lazy English taking tax money etc.. came out the interviewers mouth, was the most honest interview ive ever had.

Did you get the job?

I don't think they would be very happy to hear that.

The interviewer has the right to ask any question that he feels necessary within reason, I don't see what's to get so het up about. If the job was say a lawyers job and both parents are lawyers I can see instantly how that might come into play. Also if a job needs someone who is very independently spirited with a lot of get go etc... it would make a difference if they were 35 and still lived at home.

There are other explanations, if she's turning up for a job paying 10,000 baht a month but driving a BMW then perhaps they assume she's from a rich family or such.

I really don't see what's so upsetting about the question.

Really?

Well, i have never been asked what my parents did/do and if i was i would be offended. Why? Well, because they have no relevance regarding my ability to do my job whatsoever, and why would they?

Perhaps i am being oversensitive, but i can't help feeling that such a question has a particular motive, and that motive i feel is to class someone which again i feel offensive and divisive.

Again, at least in the UK, thiis is not something that would be asked....no way! So in my humble opinion, a European company should not be asking such questions here.

Umm...

This isn't Europe, It is Thailand.

Why would an employer ask if you lived with your parents? I assume they first asked and were told that the prospective employee was single.

People that live with their parents in Thailand are exhibiting that they are culturally conservative. The company doing the hiring may be looking for that. Then again they may be looking for someone that is culturally liberal. Someone that is available more hours or off hour times etc.

But the basic answer is that this is Thailand.

I will be running an advert soon looking for a single, college educated, female with a preference for someone from New Zealand or Australia between the ages of 25 and 30. That is just what is going into the advert .. the questions in the interview should be even more entertaining. Would I have run the same advert elsewhere? Not where I am from! I still will have hired the same person but this saves out wading through 3000 applications and only having to go through 30 or so!

Umm...

This isn't Europe, It is Thailand.

Why would an employer ask if you lived with your parents? I assume they first asked and were told that the prospective employee was single.

People that live with their parents in Thailand are exhibiting that they are culturally conservative. The company doing the hiring may be looking for that. Then again they may be looking for someone that is culturally liberal. Someone that is available more hours or off hour times etc.

But the basic answer is that this is Thailand.

I will be running an advert soon looking for a single, college educated, female with a preference for someone from New Zealand or Australia between the ages of 25 and 30. That is just what is going into the advert .. the questions in the interview should be even more entertaining. Would I have run the same advert elsewhere? Not where I am from! I still will have hired the same person but this saves out wading through 3000 applications and only having to go through 30 or so!

1. It is the parents' employment that is the issue and this is still not justified. I see your other responses and can accept those to an extent.

2. I hope you never feel you can't get that job anymore because you're the grand old age of 32! Go well.

Bit off topic here but i always had the impression that UK is as much class society as Thailand. At least most of my mates from UK claim that being from right kind of family background will open doors for best schools and the best jobs ?

Maybe it's considered as not PC to ask about it in the interview but the fact remains that your family background matters.

Sure it matters here in Thailand...

Edited by MJo

Bit off topic here but i always had the impression that UK is as much class society as Thailand. At least most of my mates from UK claim that being from right kind of family background will open doors for best schools and the best jobs ?

Maybe it's considered as not PC to ask about it in the interview but the fact remains that your family background matters.

And this is morally ok MJo?

Not off topic at all, actually very much on topic. So, as long as mummy and daddy come from the right stock, then you shall have the job, right? Even if you have as much ability as the local oompa woompa!

Sorry for believing that ability should count for everything. Oh well, back to to factory i will go. :)

Tally Ho !!

[

1. It is the parents' employment that is the issue and this is still not justified. I see your other responses and can accept those to an extent.

2. I hope you never feel you can't get that job anymore because you're the grand old age of 32! Go well.

Parent's employment again tells about issues dealing with the culture the prospective employee was raised in. When hiring Thai workers I use a Thai employee of the company to conduct the interview in Thai. I tell them to ask the interview questions, then ask a thought problem question (the answers usually don't matter to me but the quickness of mind does). I then ask them to get them chatting about general things while showing them around. All of this before I talk to the prospective employee. I want to know some specific things that a sit down interview doesn't quite tell. How do they associate with the rest of the staff even in a first blush type environment. How do they talk to other people when they relax a bit? What type of language do they use etc.

Then I do a brief interview in English (and Thai if needed). Discuss the person with my Thai interviewer. Then decide.

Regarding the advert I will be running and age ... I have a specific need for the person I am looking for and they will be living/working with a similarly aged group of people. Sometimes the need is for an older or more authoritarian (social context) employee. Sometimes it just doesn't matter at all about the age. I would be remiss if I didn't look to fill the available positions with people most suited to the environment.

BTW --- I am now 45 and have hit the age at which many businesses in Thailand would not hire me at all :)

Did you get the job?

I was offered it but turned it down as the money wasnt enough and i didnt want to be the boss of 10-15 Thai workers.

My wife has been asked questions such as her height, weight and even skin colour for P.A. jobs.

And these questions would be appropriate if they were hiring one of them foxy little minx who strutt their stuff in Heineken, San Miguel dresses or my new favourite the Corona beer outfit.

Surely if a company wants to succeed itll do what it thinks is best for it, not what some fascist legislator in a govt. office who has never worked a day in the private sector thinks.

this is not your home country.

wanted ads specify sex, age and require a photo.

it may be discriminatory, but here that is not illegal.

sorry toto, you arent in kansas anymore.

Edited by t.s

[

Parent's employment again tells about issues dealing with the culture the prospective employee was raised in. When hiring Thai workers I use a Thai employee of the company to conduct the interview in Thai. I tell them to ask the interview questions, then ask a thought problem question (the answers usually don't matter to me but the quickness of mind does). I then ask them to get them chatting about general things while showing them around. All of this before I talk to the prospective employee. I want to know some specific things that a sit down interview doesn't quite tell. How do they associate with the rest of the staff even in a first blush type environment. How do they talk to other people when they relax a bit? What type of language do they use etc.

Then I do a brief interview in English (and Thai if needed). Discuss the person with my Thai interviewer. Then decide.

Regarding the advert I will be running and age ... I have a specific need for the person I am looking for and they will be living/working with a similarly aged group of people. Sometimes the need is for an older or more authoritarian (social context) employee. Sometimes it just doesn't matter at all about the age. I would be remiss if I didn't look to fill the available positions with people most suited to the environment.

BTW --- I am now 45 and have hit the age at which many businesses in Thailand would not hire me at all :D

Ok JD, seems i have to get personal here to get my point across to you.

I came from a broken working class family (things could have been worse so no violins here thanks). My mother and stepfather both had what some would call menial jobs. Is that my fault? Does that represent me? Will that affect my performance?

Sure it affected me in some ways and i went through school failing everything. However, and this is the succinct point i have been trying to make, i eventually went on to gain an Hons degree (2.1), a Postgraduate Diploma and a Postgraduate teaching qualification.

So, as i have said, me and my parents were different entities and i am the individual with the skills and attributes to do a job and they had no bearing on that whatsoever.

I guess i don't get the job...right?!

Am i less worthy than those from 'a good middle/upper class family'? I'll let you decide that one. I sure as hel_l know who worked harder to get there! :)

[

BTW --- I am now 45 and have hit the age at which many businesses in Thailand would not hire me at all :D

Ok JD, seems i have to get personal here to get my point across to you.

I came from a broken working class family (things could have been worse so no violins here thanks). My mother and stepfather both had what some would call menial jobs. Is that my fault? Does that represent me? Will that affect my performance?

Sure it affected me in some ways and i went through school failing everything. However, and this is the succinct point i have been trying to make, i eventually went on to gain an Hons degree (2.1), a Postgraduate Diploma and a Postgraduate teaching qualification.

So, as i have said, me and my parents were different entities and i am the individual with the skills and attributes to do a job and they had no bearing on that whatsoever.

I guess i don't get the job...right?!

Am i less worthy than those from 'a good middle/upper class family'? I'll let you decide that one. I sure as hel_l know who worked harder to get there! :)

If you were Thai and in Thailand it would certainly affect your first job placement! Jobs after that .. mostly depend on ability. You'd be on the same ladder but you might have more rungs to climb!

Remember -- this is Thailand not Europe.

Here you might come from a similar background and get into Chula or Thammasat and be very successful (well not if you did very poorly in lower schools) and have 2 strikes against you since some companies won't even interview Chula or Thammasat grads. (Grads from those schools often want too much money!) If you did get a job offer you would be competing against some very privileged people and it would likely go to them. Then again you might move to the front of the queue should you land an interview with a company that had a founder from a similar background (or even hometown.)

Is it fair? For whom? the employee or the employer? I'll let you decide :D

My wife has been asked questions such as her height, weight and even skin colour for P.A. jobs.

And these questions would be appropriate if they were hiring one of them foxy little minx who strutt their stuff in Heineken, San Miguel dresses or my new favourite the Corona beer outfit.

Surely if a company wants to succeed itll do what it thinks is best for it, not what some fascist legislator in a govt. office who has never worked a day in the private sector thinks.

True, but as I said such questions were asked when she was applying for P.A. jobs.

they want to know if the person comes from a hi-so or a lo-so family.

if they are not looking for mountain people or baan-nok, then they want

to make sure the person does not fit that profile.

discriminatory? compared to back home, for sure, but this is a third world

country, we have to live by their rules here. aint gonna change no matter

how hard you fight.

And this is morally ok MJo?

Not off topic at all, actually very much on topic. So, as long as mummy and daddy come from the right stock, then you shall have the job, right? Even if you have as much ability as the local oompa woompa!

Sorry for believing that ability should count for everything. Oh well, back to to factory i will go. :)

Tally Ho !!

Your from UK so you tell me :D

Sure your background or family connections mean nothing when it comes to your ability to do your work. I do agree on that as probably we all do. But good education does and kids from rich families have better chance to get in to top schools getting the top jobs that way. Especially if the good education costs money.

I'm from a county that does not have private education you can buy with money. It's all government uni's and free for all. Considered as par with top uni's in UK. Certainly better than in US :D And still we have "class" issues as those families with money and power somehow produce children that are getting the top jobs. So it is also not just education, it is very much who you know and mingle with.

Morally ok, maybe not in Europe anymore but in Thailand or Asia in general it usually is. Like someone said look at the adds here. Maybe europe has gone too far with the PC thing. In Thailand the question of living with family comes up quite often for local candidates. The companies want to know how much you are able to commit your time for the company. Especially if it is project work requiring long hours in peak times. Same in my work as expat, single males are preferred as they tend to be low maintenance and will happily change location without the need to consider what are the effects to their family and children. And rightly so, company get's employee they want and the married guys can handle more steady jobs while the youngsters are running around the world. Everyone wins.

Not quite.

Money in the U.K. as with anywhere else in the world, can buy the best available education which has it's obvious advantages and employers would obviously and understandably look for the best educated and qualified people for the job. Also, an education at a better school would improve your chances of qualifying for a more reputable university such as Oxford or Cambridge.

Education, qualifications and experience are more than reasonable requirements but should any company in the UK discriminate according to the background of the persons "class" then that company shall be for the high jump. 

Umm...

I think you are more stable and if you live with your parents

I conduct interviews all the time and I have no problem with any question. Granted this can get a bit out of hand but more than not a company is trying to fill a position based on their criteria. I have no idea what living at home or your parents profession has to do with this particular job.

Obviously this company has a past history with a certain type of person with background. Yes they are generalizing based on past experience. They are only trying to weed out applicants based on a success with past employees. With so many applicants you have the privilage of being very picky. The company feels it has a formula for success and obviously wants to fill the slot with that type of person.

I do the same thing. I look for skill and experience first. Then I go for the personality that fits my division with the right management style that fits my group.

It all depends if you are the employee or the employer as to your feelings on this subject. The world is not fair and if you think employers do not do the same in the west you are fooling yourself. We judge by attire, mannerisms, I loook at hobbies, any personal crap you list on a resume is fair game for me. Warning never list personal hobbies on a resume, married status, religion or anything like that for the exact reasons above.

<br />
I really don't see what's so upsetting about the question.
<br /><br /><br />Really?<br />Well, i have never been asked what my parents did/do and if i was i would be offended. Why? Well, because they have no relevance regarding my ability to do my job whatsoever, and why would they?<br />Perhaps i am being oversensitive, but i can't help feeling that such a question has a particular motive, and that motive i feel is to class someone which again i feel offensive and divisive.<br />Again, at least in the UK, thiis is not something that would be asked....no way! So in my humble opinion, a European company should not be asking such questions here.<br />
<br /><br /><br />

Asking such question is an intrusion.

It has no bearing on the persons ability to do their job.

It time this country grew up with these outdated stereotype policy's.

Its things like this that keep the best from rising.

For those who say " I don't mind anyone asking me anything"

May I test that? If they asked a certain question ,for example " does your wife( or boyfriend) swallow"? Would you feel offended?

All this teaches us is that we know our employer is a backward fool and that it pays to lie.

I learnt this trying to enter the USA recently.

I am from the US and think in most western PC countries there is too much government interference in private business.

I believe an employer who is putting his/her money and the future of the company on the line, has a right to ask any question they deem appropriate. The person being asked has every right to decline to answer if they see fit.

On the other hand, the prospective employee should be able to ask any question they want about the company. The interviewer can answer or decline.

At the end, each makes a decision on the other. If both positive, job offered and accepted. If either negative, no job.

Why does the government or any other party need to be involved in this process? (rhetorical question)