Blocked Out

Traxster

First of all can I just say that being of the 'Baby Boomers' generation I am not entirely comfortable with most things 'computer/IT and so if I appear to some to be a trifle naive..........I am.

Some time ago,whilst in the process of logging onto the internet a page flashed up onto my screen displaying various URLs for personal Wi-Fi connections.

As a rule I tend to just ignore these things but this time,for whatever reason,I clicked on one of them and up popped a website for a Hi-Speed Internet connection ISP.

So I closed that page and went about my business on the net.

The next day as soon I logged on the same ISP page popped up and no matter what I did I couldn't get past it.

Every time I try to open another page or go to another site I get a message saying....'waiting to redirect'.....

and then the page,irregardless of what site I've tried to open,reverts to the aforementioned Hi-Speed ISP.

After some time I took my MacBook to the Apple desk at TukCom in South Pattaya Rd,and of course after all my explanations,

it didn't do what it had been doing at my Condo.

So I slunk away home with me tail between my legs and as soon as I got home and logged on again,up pops the offending ISP website.

I have sent a number e-mails to this Isp website but as of today have recieved no reply.

So I have had to buy another Laptop ( Toshiba ) to do my stuff on the Net and the MacBook sits on the shelf and laughs at me !!

Anyone have any ideas on how to solve my predicament ?

Cheers ...

This all doesn't make a lot of sense but here is what I think happened, and how you can solve it:

What happened:

1 - You got a list of WiFi networks to choose from on your screen and selected one of them. It was an unlocked network so you connected. Let's call this network "Network A".

2 - That network requires a login. No matter where you want to go as long as you are not logged in, it will display the "ISP site". This will only happen at home, since it's specific to Network A

3 - The network is now stored in your computer so it will be your preferred network. Any time you come near this network, your computer will automatically connect to it.

Here is what to do:

1 - Go to System Preferences -> Network, click on the little lock in the lower left corner to unlock the settings (you'll have to enter your password)

post-20814-1265423788_thumb.png

2 - Click on the Advanced button

3 - On the next page you see a list of networks. Select Network A from that list and hit the "-" button to delete it. This is your list of stored, known networks. You may just delete all of them if you're not sure which one is "Network A".

post-20814-1265423829_thumb.png

Then when you are home you will once again get a selection of available WiFi networks. You now need to select your own, rather than some unknown network.

You can also at any time in the WiFi menu bar item select a different network. Your problem happens because you are connecting to some neighbor's WiFi and you don't have the password for that (nor should you be connecting to that in the first place).

Edited by nikster

Absolutely correct, Nikster.

And Traxster, the reason it happened at home but not at the shop is that the network your MB was trying to connect to was local and the shop was too far away for it to show up on your MB.

Follow Nikster's instructions, and you shouldn't have any problems connecting at home to whichever is the correct network for you.

Gentlemen,thankyou for your input and help.

nikster it worked just as you said........sort of.

I followed your instructions to the letter and arrived at the point where I '-' out the offending network. ('Network A' )

Actually I '-' out everything that was there,oddly enough,there was even a 'network' from Bangkok last year ??.

Anyway everything went to plan except that when I clicked 'ok' I was taken back to the 'Network' page and 'Network A'

was still there.

I closed the laptop down,re-opened it,logged on and Lo and Behold ! the offending network was back on my screen .

So what I did then was to turn off 'Airport', because I'm using an ADSL modem and cable and now,as long as I keep

'Airport' turned off I have no problem !!!!

Thanks again inkster.......

sabum,as for the internet gods punishing me ?

MEA CULPA,MEA CULPA MEA MAXIMA CULPA !!

I hangs me head in shame !!!!