Chiang Mai Footpaths

Blinky Bill

The other day, February 3rd, 2010 at 1503 local time, I was walking along the footpath on Ratchamanka Road in a completely sober condition.

Insanely, I wasn't looking where I placed my feet as I was continuing in a westerly direction and consequently didn't notice a dislodged paving block. Well, the big toe of my left foot came into violent contact with the aforementioned paving block and caused a nasty bruise to my big toe. This made me hopping mad.

What is Chiang Mai coming to? If I complained to the Provincial Government would they take care of these dislodged paving blocks? I don't think so.

Imagine if every tourist that visited Chiang Mai stubbed their toe on a dislodged paving block. Word would soon get around and there would be no more tourism for Chiang Mai.

Edited by Blinky Bill

As you well know, Bill, sidewalks are not for walking on. They are for parking motorbikes and trucks, putting out laundry to dry, displaying whatever is for sale and generally clutter up the place to discourage tourists. Now, about those paving blocks in the city streets.... have you noticed all the gravel where they are digging up the moat road by Tai Pei gate? I would certainly hate to be someone in a wheel chair or trying to push a baby buggy around. You get to do it out in the road and play matador with all the bikes flying along the narrow streets. I got passed by a guy yesterday on a narrow soi, and he had to be going over 60 miles per hour (100 km) while weaving in and out around various vehicles.

Just get one of your pretty gals to put a poultice on the bruised toe. :)

I'm already considering moving to Cambodia to escape this nonsense! I mean Cambodia has about everything Thailand has, but in Cambodia all pavers are firmly set in place. I'm serious this time, I am thiiiiiiis close!

P.S. I hear that loose pavers are at their worst in the months of Feb-Mar, is this true?

I noticed there are quite a number spots along the sidewalks around Macs/Imm hotel where an old electrical pole had been removed and the rebars cut and still showing in all its former glory. I nearly step onto one of those myself.

I hate to think about that poor person negotiating his/her walk around the place during a busy Sunday night and walking right into those things!

As I was heading up to Chiang Rai, in the town where there is a Toyota dealer, I noticed they had extremely wide sidewalks on the right side (as you head up north). Beside those sidewalks are farmlands. I just thought perhaps they were all this big to begin with and once those "face-stuck-to-the-road" ugly shophouses got built, they slowly because part of the stores.

I suppose its a plus that CM does have sidewalks. Some places around the world don't have them at all. The fact that motorbikes use them probably confuses the planning dept. Is the reason they like to put all sorts of obstacles on the sidewalk for appearances or to discourage motorbikes?

Embarrassingly I had my hands full some years ago and tripped on a crappy excuse for a sidewalk near Nimmanhemin rd and broke a bone in my hand. 3 weeks in a cast. I couldn't feel too bad about myself because as I was getting worked on at CM Ram I saw a steady procession of accident victims from car and motorbike crashes. Put things into prospective.

The whole problem BB is just that you were in a completely sober condition. It is so long such you have walked in that state that your body could not co ordinate itself properly.

Edited by harrry

I was walking with a friend in Beijing last year who proudly pointed out the neat line of textured paving blocks that stretched down the middle of the footpath as far as the eye could see. "These are for the blind," she said, pleased with the modernity. I was impressed on returning to the LOS to find the same pavers carefully arranged in different gaps and intersections for the benefit of the blind who wish to play hopscotch.

Where I come from there are only banks,hedges & trees along the road!

Footpaths in any shape or form are an absolute luxury.

Stop being such a whinger!

It's going to be interesting doing a post count to see who has taken this seriously and missed the sarcasm!

Edited by cmsally

It's going to be interesting doing a post count to see who has taken this seriously and missed the sarcasm!

You talking about those two way roads in the south of England where somebody has to back up for an oncoming vehicle?

Back_roads_2.sized.jpg

The only difference between a place like this in England, as compared to a similar soi in Chiang Mai, is there would be some 16 year old Thai on a scooter flying along at 80 KMP.

Ludlow_5.sized.jpg

I'm already considering moving to Cambodia to escape this nonsense! I mean Cambodia has about everything Thailand has, but in Cambodia all pavers are firmly set in place. I'm serious this time, I am thiiiiiiis close!

P.S. I hear that loose pavers are at their worst in the months of Feb-Mar, is this true?

It's not actually the paving that is worse in Feb-Mar but the smog in the air is so bad that you can't even see your own feet :)

You talking about those two way roads in the south of England where somebody has to back up for an oncoming vehicle?

Back_roads_2.sized.jpg

The only difference between a place like this in England, as compared to a similar soi in Chiang Mai, is there would be some 16 year old Thai on a scooter flying along at 80 KMP.

Ludlow_5.sized.jpg

please oh please,,,DONT tell the Thais about these one way roads with hedges and trees ..and NO footpaths..... some planner will think its the new way to go......

thats all we need.. :)

I suppose its a plus that CM does have sidewalks. Some places around the world don't have them at all. The fact that motorbikes use them probably confuses the planning dept. Is the reason they like to put all sorts of obstacles on the sidewalk for appearances or to discourage motorbikes?

Embarrassingly I had my hands full some years ago and tripped on a crappy excuse for a sidewalk near Nimmanhemin rd and broke a bone in my hand. 3 weeks in a cast. I couldn't feel too bad about myself because as I was getting worked on at CM Ram I saw a steady procession of accident victims from car and motorbike crashes. Put things into prospective.

I'd almost welcome a broken arm to be needing to visit CM Ram on a frequent basis. I would have so many new telephone numbers in my phone.

Some or the nurses are model material, but then I expect Ian Forbes has photos of most of then, AND, their telephone numbers as well. :)

Edited by john b good

A pitiful attempt at a cover story.

The moment the lack of drink involvement was mentioned I had my doubts.

This big toe "injury" is quite obviously a cover for an underlying gout complaint from lengthy sessions with red wine.

Everybody knows that the skilled artisans that lay pavers throughout Chiang Mai are the same skilled artisans that go throughout the Northern capital doing the invaluable work for tourists in levelling pool and snooker tables, as well as ensuring that tables and chairs at local eateries are flat to the floor.

Thanks to these artisans my middle ear condition that used to plague my balance for decades has miraculously disappeared.....Why, its almost as if my two inch shorter left leg was a complete fantasy.

Never had a problem with motorcycles, children, garbage, wares, or dogs on the footpath. Think of them as a free urban assault exercise course generously put on for you by the local town planners. Its a great strength builder. My knees have cleared up and I can now leap over prone dogs or beggars in a single bound.

You young'uns are just ungrateful. Bring back nasho I say.

What`s the point of moaning?

This is Thailand that can`t be compared with the West.

Why dont some of the rich Farang business owners that are making a good living in Thailand, offer a contribution to the local councils and pay to have the works done?

Now there`s a thought.

I'd almost welcome a broken arm to be needing to visit CM Ram on a frequent basis. I would have so many new telephone numbers in my phone.

Some or the nurses are model material, but then I expect Ian Forbes has photos of most of then, AND, their telephone numbers as well. :)

:D:D

Only a few, John. I try to stay out of hospitals as much as possible. Of course, riding a motorbike in Thailand it is inevitable that you will meet a few nurses and dentists. I DO know some pretty pharmacists though. :D

It's either BB's enormous feet that are to blame or.....

how can you see anything through all the smoke and while coughing so violently all the time ? or

trying to get around the red-shirt chaos you're likely to stumble not paying attention to your footing. or

he was daydreaming up his next witty post, head in the clouds, and just not paying attention in general.

... snip ... I hear that loose pavers are at their worst in the months of Feb-Mar, is this true?

Sawasdee Khrup, Khun Black Artemis,

Analysis of the fluctuations of paver alignment in Chiang Mai have yet to reveal any one hypothesis "set in stone," as it were. Lunar tidal influences have yet to be fully excluded. Cambodian illegals hired to secretly re-position the pavers into farang-foot-traps on commission from the orthopedic departments of certain private hospitals who must remain un-named has not been definitively excluded.

Of more concern in the coming month are the "loose ravers" of Chiang Mai on whom one can stub the mind.

best, ~o:37;