I Know it may be an old chestnut, and ive searched the board for answers... but I just wondered if any thing Had changed on this subject..? , Married to Thai for 3 years, ,now purchased some land, ( signed the form that the land's not being purchaced with my money !!) and now going to build a house.. so far so good .as we are married does any one know if its possible to put both our names ( as we are married ) on the house Tabien Book...? or could offer any up to date advice ..?

Many Thanks.... Mumbo

Thanks .... ajahnlau,

Its only a small house we are building, but the thought of being thrown out say if my wife dies first, and then her Family want's me out ( I have a step daughter from her first marriage , ) leaves me with a bad feeling, I know the old saying if you can't afford to loose it and then walk away , don't do it, but it would be nice to know that if some thing did happen to my wife, and I was left to bring up my step daughter we would have a roof over our heads..?

may be I am just over reacting ...?

Thanks ..... Mumbo.

PS . any one else who is married to a Thai National had their name added to the

Tabien book...?

Talk to a lawyer! Although you cannot own the land, you can own the house. And lease the land from your wife for 30 Years. I don't know the details but a good lawyer should be able to help you.

Your name in the Tambien Baan (sp??) won't help you at all, I'm afraid!

Sunny

Your wife can put you on the book but it's hers 100% and will not help you if the bottoms falls out. Know of only 1 farang who did this. Don't see any advantages for doing it.

The probably works less often for falangs, but for eastern Asian and Indian foreigners, the entry into the tabien baan, usually after marriage, is a half step away from getting a Thai id card. A quick name change and then... instant "Thai Indian" or "Thai Chinese." Then you're free to own property, work, etc.

:o

I can think of one advantage, but it's hardly significant.

If you're in the Tabien Baan, you have a proof of address without going to the embassy or immigration when it comes time to get/renew your Thai driving licence.

Thanks, Roscoe,

The Land is my wifes, and I get on great with all her family, who after knowing them for 4 years they have been nothing but kind to me , and never once asked for any financial assistance. my main concern would be my step daughter, ( at 56 ive never had children of my own ) and seeing that my step daughter get's a good education and all the help I can provide her means a lot to me, its just the un known possibility's that could pop out of the wood work should my wife die before my self , that would in some way stop me from assisting my step daughter ( who I think of as my own ) with her future education Etc...

Mombo.....

Thanks .... ajahnlau,

Its only a small house we are building, but the thought of being thrown out  say if my  wife dies first, and then her Family want's me out ( I have a step daughter from her first marriage , )  leaves me with a bad feeling, I know the old saying if you can't afford to loose it and then walk away , don't do it, but it would be nice to know that if some thing did happen to my wife, and I was left to bring up my step daughter we would have a roof over our heads..?

may be I am just over reacting ...?

Your not overreacting. These things do happen in life, unfortunately.

Even in nice families there can be greedy people. I've seen it happening: After her death suddenly her father thinks that it should be all his now, and now, as a rich man, he can send away his wife, and marry again a younger woman. Then the fun starts :o

This thread:-

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=34007

may be relevant, get yourself on the land title with 'lifetime right to use the land'.

My wife says that we will do this (when we've finished paying for our 'country'). In the event of the unthinkable the land will transfer to her son but he will not be able to evict me. Not that he is likely to, we get on really well and he's more likely to try and fix me up with another of the family women :D

Exactly what rights this will give you, who knows, but a warm fuzzy feeling will result.

:o:D

Your wife can put you on the book but it's hers 100% and will not help you if the bottoms falls out. Know of only 1 farang who did this. Don't see any advantages for doing it.

Surely, having your name on Tabien Baan can help in many instances. As mentioned before, if you want to apply for Thai driving license or any other dealing with Thai authorities. They seem to require a copy of Tabien Baan from Thais for just about everything.

My wife is definitely pushing to get my name on the Tabien Baan for our house. She says it will make me more Thai... and I don't even live there most of the year.