Extension On Tourist Visa

Hi guys,

A friend of mine is on a double tourist visa which was issues in Laos. His first 2 months are nearly up so he will need to get a 30 days extension at the immigration office for 1900 THB. However he is married to a Thai lady so would he be able to get a 60 day extension instead on the basis that he is visiting his wife? If so, after the 60 day extension would he be able to cross the border and use up the second 2 months of his double entry tourist visa and then get another extension at the immigration office?

Edited by Jimbo

No, he will need to use his second tourist visa entry less than 90 days from the issued date, or it will be expired. Also, I'm not sure they would give the 60 day extension on a tourist visa, for that, he may be required to be here on a Non-immigrant visa.

There are two facts to consider here:

1. The double-entry tourist visa from the Thai consulate is valid for two entries into Thailand within the period stated on the visa. This is an example of a double-entry tourist visa from Laos:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Tourist-2-jo...image10220.html

If the passport holder wants to use the second entry, he must arrive in Thailand not later than one day before the “enter before” date stamped on the visa. The double-entry tourist visa issued in Laos is generally valid only for 90 days.

2. A foreigner married to a Thai national who is resident in Thailand can receive a one-time 60-day extension of stay for the reason of visiting his Thai spouse regardless of the type of visa with which he/she entered Thailand or even after a visa-exempt entry. See paragraph 2.24 of Police Order No. 777/2551. A 60-day extension will cost the same 1,900 Baht as a 30-day extension but if he wants to use the second entry of his double-entry tourist visa it will benefit him no more than a 30-day extension. His course of action will depend entirely on his travel itinerary, ie how long he plans to stay in Thailand altogether.

--

Maestro

Hi Maestro,

Thank you for your detailed reply.

So would the following be possible as he simply wants to stretch his stay on his current visa as long as possible:

He has the initial 2 months on the first entrance, then gets a 1 month extension at immigration, does border run and gets another 2 months on his second entrance and then finally he gets a 2 months extension on the basis that he is visiting his wife which means he gets a total of 7 months. Is that correct?

Thanks Mario and Thaipoon for confirming that.

This 2 month extension on the basis of visiting a Thai wife, is it a common procedure? By that I mean should all the immigration offices know about this rule and do they easily grant it or can they be a pain about it?

Edited by Jimbo

This 2 month extension on the basis of visiting a Thai wife, is it a common procedure? By that I mean should all the immigration offices know about this rule and do they easily grant it or can they be a pain about it?

It should be straight forward especially in the bigger immigration offices.

However there have been some reports of people being turned down at the front desk officer at more remote/small offices, if this happens, in a very friendly way and with lots of smiles ask to talk to a higher up officer/supervisor, who should be able to help you out.

Last question I hope :)

I don't know the exact reason why my friend just doesn't get a Non O but he keeps getting the tourist visas. Once this visa is up with extensions including the one for him visiting his wife and he gets a new tourist visa, will he be able to later apply for an extension based on visiting his wife (with his fresh visa). Or is there some regulation that this 60 day extension can only be granted only once of perhaps only once every couple of years?

Edited by Jimbo

It should be straight forward especially in the bigger immigration offices.

However there have been some reports of people being turned down at the front desk officer at more remote/small offices, if this happens, in a very friendly way and with lots of smiles ask to talk to a higher up officer/supervisor, who should be able to help you out.

I think he normally uses Korat immigration at Chock Chai, is that considered a remote/small immigration office?

Edited by Jimbo

This is the official rule. Police Order 777/2551.

2.24 In the case of an alien visiting a Thai spouse or child:

Permission will be granted for a period of not more than 60 days at a time

(1) Proof of relationship.

(2) In the case of a spouse, their marital relationship shall be de jure (legitimate) and de facto.

He will need to visit Immigration with wife, taking also marriage certificate, wife's ID card, tabbien bahn (house book), completed application form TM7, copies of passport pages/TM6 departure card + passport photo. Some offices are also asking for photos of the couple around the house and map to house. Fee 1900 baht.

Stated as 'one off' under old rules, but silent on that point in new regulations. Suspect with entry in between may be able to obtain again. With 400k in bank for 2 months before application or 40k/month income he could apply for 12 month extension of stay at Thai immigration. Or with 100k in the bank plus marriage certificate, wife's ID card, tabbien bahn and letter from wife could obtain 12 month multiple entry Non-O visa from KL.