Brit Drug Baron's Luxury Life On The Run In Thailand

dazz

Brit drug baron's luxury life on the run in Thailand

Fugitive who skipped off to Thailand 9 years ago

A convicted drugs baron who fled to Thailand before he could be sentenced has been living like a king there for nine years.

Darren Oxley, 42, could have been jailed for at least 10 years for running a multi-million-pound syndicate dealing cocaine and ecstasy - but he skipped bail after he was found guilty.

Bungling police and officials from the Crown Prosecution Service have never made any attempt to extradite him - and he even managed to renew his British passport in Bangkok.

He is now living the high life in Thailand, driving Lamborghinis and Bentleys while running a company building luxury houses.

South Yorkshire Police failed to put him on a stop list to prevent him from leaving the country and refuse to explain why they have never tried to extradite him back to Britain.

Nine members of his gang were jailed for a total of 60 years in 2001 at Sheffield Crown Court for flooding the area's clubs with cocaine, ecstasy and amphetamines.

During the case it was claimed that Oxley was the ringleader of the operation and his crew had "lived in fear" of him. He was described as "violent" and "not a man you mess with".

In Thailand he set up a building company called Oxley Homes in Hua Hin, 150 miles south of Bangkok. He held parties for local officials and even joined police on the local firing range.

Oxley has now been accused of attacking ex-US Marine Don Whiting, 65, who bought a home in Thailand from the Briton then complained he was defrauded over water bills.

Mr Whiting's car was firebombed in July 2008 and then in October he was gunned down at his home. He is paralysed from the waist down and will never walk again.

The day after the shooting he was due to give evidence in five cases of fraud against Oxley in court. Mr Whiting said: "The only person I had a row with was Darren Oxley. He was threatening me. He told me some harm could come to me. How can this Briton Darren Oxley even be allowed to live in Thailand?" Three local men were charged with the attempted murder while Oxley's wife, Janpen, 32, was charged with commissioning the assassination attempt. Mr Oxley was also arrested over the shooting but not charged.

The Crown Prosecution Service confirmed that there had never been any attempt to extradite Oxley. A spokesman said: "Due to the type and age of the offence, the file on Oxley has been destroyed in accordance with CPS policy on retention.

"Oxley left the country before sentencing, so should he return to the UK, he would be arrested and brought to court to be sentenced." A spokesman for the Home Office said: "We can neither confirm nor deny requests for extradition."

This week Oxley was unavailable for comment. But he said earlier: "I have nothing to do with the attacks on Donald Whiting.

"Look, he could have upset anybody. You can buy somebody on a street corner for 2,000 baht (£40) and they would do it."

Daily Mirror

Feb. 2, 2010

ww.mirror.co.uk/news/top-stories/2010/02/07/brit-drug-baron-s-luxury-life-on-run-115875-22024329/

The British Police Do not destroy,Many things to do with past cases, Some go back 50 years or more, They are arresting people that have done crimes 30/40 years ago, As technology advances more cases are being closed. As for not making any attempt to arrest him , That may come later, because as we have seen Thailand is co operating with police around the world more often, And those who live by the sword in Thailand die by the Gun,

The British Police Do not destroy,Many things to do with past cases, Some go back 50 years or more, They are arresting people that have done crimes 30/40 years ago, As technology advances more cases are being closed. As for not making any attempt to arrest him , That may come later, because as we have seen Thailand is co operating with police around the world more often, And those who live by the sword in Thailand die by the Gun,

You are right the British Police do not destroy many evidential things to do with past cases but they do destroy (under CPS guidelines) outstanding arrest warrants, this is normally done after 6 years, IF the suspect is UNLIKELY to be apprehended .

Draw your own conclusions as to why this guy has not been extradited, I would suggest it is a combination of many things, including corruption in LoS.

If as posted on another forum they open an Interpol office in Pattaya it may be that Mr Oxley will then be arrested extradited?

If I recall correctly wasnt his wife apprehended at the Cambodian border and then realeased....I think mid last year?

Yes they posted bail, and she went gone like the wind

29 January 2009

Police on Thursday, 29th January 2009 arrested the mastermind of the attempted murder of a US national in Hua Hin last year when she was about to escape to the neighbouring Cambodia.

Junpen Yungyu, 48, wife of a foreigner developing a major housing estate in Hua Hin, was arrested at

Aranyaprathet district by immigration police for ordering the murder of Donald Whiting, whose wife is

deputy rector of Stamford International University, according to assistant police chief Aswin Kwanmuang.

The arrest came only a week after Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva ordered police to speed up the case.

On Tuesday, police apprehended three suspects they said were involved in the attempted murder of Mr

Whiting in the resort district in prachuap Khiri Khan. The three confessed to attempted murder, and one

said he was hired for 200,000 baht to kill the American by Mrs Junpen.

Mr Whiting had reportedly criticised the developer over the construction of his house before the local

media. He was shot soon after lodging a complaint with local agencies.

He was shot twice in front of his house on the night of October 24th 2008.

That article is just about then same as one that was written after he was arrested last year. Seems that the Mirror is trying to bump the story back in the headlines again.

If the Police in the UK do not want to proceed, why keep bringing up the same old stories again. Cannot see the point, perhaps the Mirror have a hidden agenda.

He should at least be deported and never allowed to return to Thailand.

It is digusting when people get away with murder and more!

Have any of you guy's informed the British Police that this criminal is living there. If not why not, don't leave it to someone else in your town, do it yourself. :)

• 2 weeks later...
This was news 18 months ago, why raise this again? I know the guy, bump into him from time to time, think some locals are jealous.

Alina, you are new here (on this forum), and I will give you the benefit of the doubt, but you sound like him again posting under another alias like he's done for years now to defend his crimes.

Anyone who has lived in Hua Hin for a few years, yes, even people who knew him well, and once liked him, know that they were wrong now. It's not jealousy, it's just us honest folks who would like people like this out of our community. We don't want Hua Hin to turn into Pattaya. They are cleaning up the foreign criminals there if you've read the news lately. I hope Hua Hin is next.

LOL, some of you sound suprised that a guy like this is living in Thailand! I would say there are even worse than him around. I hope interpol do open an office here and catch some of these types.

Interpol does not arrest anyone...they are not a police agency with arrest powers.

It is a service ( membership ) to distribute intel and info between member countries for wanted criminals.

It would still be up to the Thai police to make the arrest on a outstanding warrant issued by the country of origin.

This was news 18 months ago, why raise this again? I know the guy, bump into him from time to time, think some locals are jealous.

Alina, you are new here (on this forum), and I will give you the benefit of the doubt, but you sound like him again posting under another alias like he's done for years now to defend his crimes.

Anyone who has lived in Hua Hin for a few years, yes, even people who knew him well, and once liked him, know that they were wrong now. It's not jealousy, it's just us honest folks who would like people like this out of our community. We don't want Hua Hin to turn into Pattaya. They are cleaning up the foreign criminals there if you've read the news lately. I hope Hua Hin is next.

Hi hhfarang I am not Darren Oxley, I have spoken to him a few times as he has built house's on Palm Hill's where I live. I am not condoning or justifying what he has or has not done, although I believe in innocent untill proven guilty.

philliphnPosted 2010-02-12 07:29:53 He should at least be deported and never allowed to return to Thailand.

It is digusting when people get away with murder and more!

Murder and more, no-one has been murdered? Stick to the facts and not sensationalism.

Some crazy people here, Hua Hin Ex Pats should concentrate on the ExPats that are dealing in drugs and other illegal activity's, they are the scum bags giving foriegners a bad name.

Hua Hin should protect its name before sinking into the obiss.

:)

Edited by alina

alina I agree with you that Mr Oxley is not guilty until he has been found so in a court of law, and this forum isn't one, also I imagine that he is anxious to clear his name in Sheffield as he seems to have done in Thailand.

I am sure he will return to Sheffield, clear is name and prove everybody wrong in due course, in the meantime I don't think it's unreasonable that he remains in Thailand to support his wife during her trial.

At the end of all arguments we mustn't forget there is a poor guy confined to a wheelchair with his life and future plans in ruins, he didn't fire the gun himself and whoever did, did so for a good reason, probably money.

alina I agree with you that Mr Oxley is not guilty until he has been found so in a court of law, and this forum isn't one, also I imagine that he is anxious to clear his name in Sheffield as he seems to have done in Thailand.

I am sure he will return to Sheffield, clear is name and prove everybody wrong in due course, in the meantime I don't think it's unreasonable that he remains in Thailand to support his wife during her trial.

At the end of all arguments we mustn't forget there is a poor guy confined to a wheelchair with his life and future plans in ruins, he didn't fire the gun himself and whoever did, did so for a good reason, probably money.

Yes this sums it up quite well.

I would like to appoligise for not mentioning the victim in this, he will be confined to a wheelchair for life as mention by the above.

Still say the the OP is one of those envious mischief makers, he has been banned though.