Thai Ridgeback

cmjantje

We have just got rid of ours, beautiful dog we bought as a pup 8 months ago, but proved to be as stupid as its owner and had a taste for Croc's. we got it from the Chiang Rai golf shop, the one adjacent to the vet's next to Big C, cost around 10 K....

<br />My Thai neighbour has two older ridgebacks, I'll ask him, I would quite like a pup myself too.<br />
<br /><br /><br />

I called on my neighbour today, and she got on the phone. After 10 mins a lady arrived on a Mcycle with two puppies in a sack. Well they were not ridgeback, even partly. However they are going for free. The male looks slightly mean and could make a good guard dog, the female - prettier maybe good too. About two months I reckon, the lass didn't know much about them,(I think acting on behalf of another party), fairly lively and healthy looking apart from fleas.

Sorry no ridgebacks, but maybe CMJANTJE or anyone else interested send me a PM. They are from SriSaiMun area.

I'd have had one but going away for a while next month, and the Mrs too busy.

Its probably worth Visiting the Breeders in Chiang Mai . Just Google Thai Ridgebacks Chiang Mai.

I had three pups last year, beautiful dogs but they kept taking the Odd Duck or chicken and then the grand Finale. One day I watched one of them take out about 10 Ducklings in the blink of an eye. The next week I woke to find about 30 Duck carcasses scattered all around the garden and the dogs hideing. I think I just had one bad one but I overreacted and got rid off them there and then. Luckily they were my Ducks and not the neigbours.

Its probably worth Visiting the Breeders in Chiang Mai . Just Google Thai Ridgebacks Chiang Mai.

I had three pups last year, beautiful dogs but they kept taking the Odd Duck or chicken and then the grand Finale. One day I watched one of them take out about 10 Ducklings in the blink of an eye. The next week I woke to find about 30 Duck carcasses scattered all around the garden and the dogs hideing. I think I just had one bad one but I overreacted and got rid off them there and then. Luckily they were my Ducks and not the neigbours.

I cant believe what I am reading here.

What kind of dog did you think you were getting, a poodle?

If you actually knew anything about these dogs, you would realize this is pretty normal behaviour for a hunting dog.

try reading this link,

http://www.thairidgeback.co.uk/home.htm

Indeed !. pretty normal behaviour. Thats why I had them in a walled garden away from other Animals. unfortunately there desire to Kill helped them overcome the obstacles to their prey.

I tried to 'Socialize' them with other animals slowly, and they would never attack during my presence.

That said, Any Dog can be a nusance with Chickens etc. Its just luck of the draw. Taking the occasional chicken I could live with but mass slaugher for fun , I couldn't. Perhaps you can . Just thought I would share my experience with the op. to remind him that they are indeed Hunting Dogs.

There's a Ridgeback in the next village, thats pretty much a Soi dog, roams around with the other Dogs, but doesn't cause any mischeif.

You all cured me.

I thought it was a not so difficult dog and also not so big.. I think I mistake the soy dog with some ridge back hair with the real one.

I have about 100 chicken and two pigs, so I think it is not advisable to take a ridge. Besides that... I am glad I can control my Rottweiler, it took me some time.. I am too old to do that again with half wolf.

Thanks all anyway!!

You all cured me.

I thought it was a not so difficult dog and also not so big.. I think I mistake the soy dog with some ridge back hair with the real one.

I have about 100 chicken and two pigs, so I think it is not advisable to take a ridge. Besides that... I am glad I can control my Rottweiler, it took me some time.. I am too old to do that again with half wolf.

Thanks all anyway!!

Don't let me put you off. There no more agressive than you local soi dogs and about the same size and which probably have some ridgeback in them anyway. Supposed to be great for snakes due to lightning like responses. Any dog potentially is a Chicken Killer but I'm always amazed how the majority seem to leave them alone.

I suspect the Thais break them of the habit very quickly. My Dutch neighbour had a shepherd bitch who cleaned out most of the chickens before she was fully grown. He went away for a week and his mother-in-law and her brothers "educated" her. She hardly looks at them now.

My dog likes to chase them but it's the sport rather than the kill with him.

They make that irresistible clucky squawking noise....

post-38081-1265789931_thumb.jpg

6 this year I think, part soi dog, part Dobe, part something small.

Wow, 6 Years. I thought it was a Rottweiler Cross Pup. Must be well looked after.

Does it look like its Owner ? :D

Sorry, off-topic . One of my neigbours has a flee bitten originally Black Dog thats sort of a Blue Grey colour where there is Hair.. It has a remarkable resemblance to its owner. They've both got a Malin streak, I can't help laughing everytime I see either of them. :)

Anyway, back on Topic... ........... what we're we talking about anyway :D