Looking For Old Thai Cinemas And Thai Classic Movies

healthcaretaker

There is definitely an old cinema on Sukhumvit 71 (Phra Khanong BTS) but I'm not sure if it's an old cinema showing old movies, or an old cinema showing new movies. On second thoughts, not sure if it is that old, it may just be incredibly run down. Maybe someone else knows?

check out the southeast asia movie theatre project blog here (http://seatheater.blogspot.com/) and for Thai films (most of the stuff is more modern but there are some reviews of classic Thai films) at wise kwai's thai film blog (http://thaifilmjournal.blogspot.com/)

I recommend:

Insii daeng (that is about to be remade) - with famous classic actor Mit Chaibancha

Muu Purn (With actor surapong chartrii)

Salaween - also Surapong

Sia Die 2 - also with Surapong

and others I can't think of right now.

Most of the bigger DVD shops have a section with classic Thai films. A lot of rubbish in there but some good ones.

Thanks all. Is that cinema within walking distance from the BTS ?

Nicholasday, are those movies in dvd and any English subtitles ? I came across many old and new Thai movies in dvds but no English subtitles.

Any particular shop or place best to buy those titles you mentioned ?

The one on 71 is a real dump inside and they only show new films as far as I have seen, they also hold concerts there. Thought there was an old and grand cinema at siam, is it called la scala? One on 71 is o the right only about 100 yerds up the road from suk

I believe there is still an old cinema still operating in Phra Khanong on Sukhumvit 71. Another cinema there was just converted to a hotel.

I took a walk past yesterday and it looks closed down; trash lying around and no signs of life.

Sorry about that.

Is Sia Dai 2 any good? I heard it was disappointing to say the least. I might grab it if it's anywhere near as good as Sia Dai. OP, you need to familiarise yourself with the world of Asian film fansub sites. PM me if you need some pointers.

Is Sia Dai 2 any good? I heard it was disappointing to say the least. I might grab it if it's anywhere near as good as Sia Dai. OP, you need to familiarise yourself with the world of Asian film fansub sites. PM me if you need some pointers.

The Scala in Siam Square has more character by far than any other cinema I've been to in Bangkok. The foyer is particularly impressive with its wide sweeping staircase and enormous retro 50s/60s chandeliers. Here's a link: Scala Cinema Siam Square Bangkok The screen is also enormous, but as far as I know they only show new releases.

The Scala in Siam Square has more character by far than any other cinema I've been to in Bangkok. The foyer is particularly impressive with its wide sweeping staircase and enormous retro 50s/60s chandeliers. Here's a link: Scala Cinema Siam Square Bangkok The screen is also enormous, but as far as I know they only show new releases.

I'm in total agreement with Groonthep. The Scala cinema is a 'must visit' for you. It's seats around 1000 people, and is full of character.

Cinema usher's, dressed smartly in their yellow suits, and who appear to have been working there since the opening day in 1969, are still employed here, not a sight you're likely to see too many more times in cinemas anymore.

Edited by thecatman

check out the southeast asia movie theatre project blog here (http://seatheater.blogspot.com/) and for Thai films (most of the stuff is more modern but there are some reviews of classic Thai films) at wise kwai's thai film blog (http://thaifilmjournal.blogspot.com/)

I recommend:

Insii daeng (that is about to be remade) - with famous classic actor Mit Chaibancha

Muu Purn (With actor surapong chartrii)

Salaween - also Surapong

and others I can't think of right now.

Most of the bigger DVD shops have a section with classic Thai films. A lot of rubbish in there but some good ones.

I have been searching the above mentioned movies from BKK and CM but none available. Heaps of Surapong's old movies but none of Mit Chaibancha.

In order to satisfy my need, I asked the staff if I must get at least one of Surapong's available movies, which one ?

He recommended "Pen Panarok". I bought it, is it good ?