Man Tries To Torch Himself

george

Man tries to torch himself

BANGKOK: -- A man tried to commit suicide by dousing himself with kerosene and setting himself on fire in the middle of Bangkok on Friday night, causing heavy traffic congestion. Police, however, prevented the attempt at self-immolation.

Expressway police were called to the Rama IX Bridge area at about nine o’clock and found a pickup truck parked at the foot of the bridge. A man had unloaded plastic bowls from the back of the truck and had lit a fire with petrol.

The police stopped traffic in the area to negotiate with the man, but he poured kerosene over both himself and the pickup, and attempted to ignite it.

Before he succeeded in setting himself ablaze, the police were able to seize him.

They said later that the man, Rit Sinman, 45, a plastic container vendor, was upset that his wife of 28 years had left him and their three children.

He suspects that his wife has run off with a taxi driver who was hired to drive her home every day. She has switched off her cell phone and he has been unable to contact her.

A security guard working near the scene said the man wept incessantly as he parked his car and prepared to set fire to himself.

He tried to stop him, but Rit threatened to set himself alight immediately if anyone came near.

--The Nation 2005-05-08

Very sad. I use to know a ranger who sucide himself because his wife had an affair... Before that, he was a great bloke, always enthusiastic and nice with every body. I think that the Thai television promote this kind of attitude..

This was actually on Saturday morning because JS 100 radio were talking to one of the police officers involved as I was driving to work. Even in the police station the guy was still crying his heart out - could hear him loud and clear in the background.

Poor bastard, too choose such an awful method in which to kill yourself he must have been really fukced up by this woman... It's amazing what a broken heart can do to a man.

No woman is worth killoing yourself for, let aone disfiguring yourself for life for - not that he did it luckily.

I hope the police were sympathetic, did he get charged with anything?

Poor bastard, too choose such an awful method in which to kill yourself he must have been really fukced up by this woman...  It's amazing what a broken heart can do to a man.

No woman is worth killoing yourself for, let aone disfiguring yourself for life for - not that he did it luckily.

I hope the police were sympathetic, did he get charged with anything?

Discharging dangerous chemicals in a public place?

Oh, sorry, this is Thailand. Everybody does it, toxic fumes, open sewage, so on.

bloody women!  :o  I actually feel sorry for this bloke  :D

Me too! His life is in a total mess now. Let's hope he can find a way through his problems -- find a way to look after his kids and carry on working for a living.

For sure he may find his way back to normal life but of course, it takes little bit time. He is not the only one suffering such problem in here. someone are even worst than him. :D

28 years married and he's 45 now.......hmmm, got married at 17........ not a bad innings, but it's time to get over this one and move on.........unless she ran off with the family's lifesavings as well as the taxi driver. "News" stories rarely report the whole story and I sense there's more to this one than meets the eye. Now being left wifeless, penniless and holding the bairns, would be something to bawl about, :o (but not burn about!) :D

It seems to me that Thai men don't handle their women leaving them real well. I read a few stories like this recently it seems.  :D

Usually the shoe is on the other foot... Thai man runs away from his woman. :o