Extension Of Stay Based On Teaching With Nan Immigration

Preacher

Just came back from Nan-immigration today, where I needed to go to get a 1 year extension of stay based on teaching. The Immigration office is just outside Nan itself and wasn't very busy now Pitshanolok has it's own immigration office.

The extension was very uneventful and pleasant, but I must add that you will need a teachers licence (or waiver) and have a degree. Without either one you will not get an extension in Nan. :) Nan is now responsible for Nan, Phrea and Uttaradit.

Amongst others I needed:

- health declaration

- work permit (WP3 form)

- contract

- letter from the director

- letter from the education area office director

- degree

- teacher license waiver

There was a small mistake in my paperwork with the date, but I got my extension anyway. Just had to promise to have it corrected and send it to them by mail. Guess it is one of the perks working for a government school :D

This might be a good time to remind everyone that an extension can be asked for 30 days in advance. The extensio will always start from the date your current extension ends, so you don't lose any days by applying early. Applying early is the smart thing to do, in case you need to arrange for papers immigration or labour might suddenly ask. Such as the waiver for the teaching license, which should take about 2 to 3 weeks.

from last year I know that only a few immigration offices require the teaching license, nan being of them and at least 2 others (Mae Sod and ???). There are several new offices now open, and it is unclear how they will deal with this issue. Pitsanulok has been trained by Nan-immigration, so i suspect that they will also require a teachers license. But I hope that people will post if their immigration offices also require a teachers licens (waiver).

From big places lke Bangkok and Chiang Mai there are no reports in the visa section that a teaching license is asked for. In all, don't worry but be prepard and apply early would be my advice.

I'm actually a volunteer, so I don't get a salary. My contract makes clear I'm a volunteer and don't get a salary so no tax papers were asked for.

The health certificate is always asked for, also when I visited other immigration offices in the past. It is never a big deal, visit the doctor, breath in, breath out, pay 30 baht and you have your health certificate.

Edit:

It was not my first extension as a teacher, but it was my first at Nan.

Edited by Preacher

from last year I know that only a few immigration offices require the teaching license, nan being of them and at least 2 others (Mae Sod and ???).

Dan Singhkon (Prachuap Khiri Khan, Hua Hin) is one of them too. They started to require it in April 2008.

Edited by aidenai