If You Get Frustrated Some Times......

skippybangkok

Go home for 1 or 2 weeks !

Just got back from 2 weeks in Oz

- everyone absolutely paranoid about speed Traps

- price of food (and most things ) 3x to 10x more than in Thailand.

- regular bashings on weekends of teenagers by teenagers etc.

Of course i enjoyed family time, and general tidiness / ease of driving....... but i know where "home" is for me...... right here in BKK.

p.s Would be interest to see how much the Govt has invested in Speed traps ( revenue earners ) versus booz busses ( no-revenue earners ). Taking 10-1 bets investment is skewed to the speed traps.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with all that, but I just came back from the local Mini Mart. I was the only one in the store and I stood at the counter for 10 minutes while the girl behind it carried on a casual conversation on her cell phone and refused to help me find something - until I finally walked out. I love Thailand, but do understand why people blow their stacks every once in a while.

Edited by Ulysses G.

Oh sure, a trip to Oz must have been such hardship. Sorry, but it wasn't as bad as all that was it? really? C'mon now.

everyone absolutely paranoid about speed Traps vs. acceptance of police stop points for the expected shakedown

price of food (and most things ) 3x to 10x more than in Thailand vs. a known quality of that food supply meaning food is raised/grown, prepared & packaged in compliance with basic health and quality standards. No chemicals, adulterations, illegal colourings are allowed and the food is washed in water that is actually potable.

regular bashings on weekends of teenagers by teenagers etc. vs regular bashings on a daily basis of teenagers by teenagers. Sorry but the kids have been brawling everywhere since the dawn of time. Doesn't matter where, or who, teenagers brawl.

Of course i enjoyed family time, and general tidiness / ease of driving....... but i know where "home" is for me...... right here in BKK.

If you are content with the choking air, ambient pollution, lack of greenspace and high density living, that's good for you. However, there are plenty of others including the vast majority of Thais who are just like Australians and cannot stand the quality of life in Bangkok or other ginormous cities. We call these people, sane. :)

Only people who break the speed limit raise revenue in speed traps.

Let me refresh your memory...

Lost drivers' licence for driving in the left lane in peak hour traffic on a main highway at 61km/h in a 60 zone. Multanova on Canning Highway at 4:30PM.

The traffic behind was moiving at the same pace as the traffic ahead. If you think I was doing the wrong thing, then you should enlist in the police force in Australia. Who knows, with an attitude like that, you could make commandant in five years, and after that, maybe even Fuhrer if you try hard!

Oh sure, a trip to Oz must have been such hardship. Sorry, but it wasn't as bad as all that was it? really? C'mon now.

everyone absolutely paranoid about speed Traps vs. acceptance of police stop points for the expected shakedown

price of food (and most things ) 3x to 10x more than in Thailand vs. a known quality of that food supply meaning food is raised/grown, prepared & packaged in compliance with basic health and quality standards. No chemicals, adulterations, illegal colourings are allowed and the food is washed in water that is actually potable.

regular bashings on weekends of teenagers by teenagers etc. vs regular bashings on a daily basis of teenagers by teenagers. Sorry but the kids have been brawling everywhere since the dawn of time. Doesn't matter where, or who, teenagers brawl.

If you are content with the choking air, ambient pollution, lack of greenspace and high density living, that's good for you. However, there are plenty of others including the vast majority of Thais who are just like Australians and cannot stand the quality of life in Bangkok or other ginormous cities. We call these people, sane. :)

Nice

Nice

All entitled to an oppinion....... (not that i agree with it ).....

For future contributors - lets try keep it civil :D

Not intending to stir up the hornets nest, but to add on, just take a look at a shabby house in Melb. Metropolitan, average now is about $400,000 ++ (and climbing )...... forget about foot massages at $50/hour (great treat for sore feet ). For anyone who has a massive salary in Oz, sure, good place to live, but families surviving on $40k/ year, life cant be easy.

From memory

Ice cream - 120 Baht

Milk 1.5l - 150 Baht

Large Loaf of bread - 170 Baht

Basic crappy food center food for one person in shopping mall + drink = 380 baht.

one way train ticket from melbourne central to zone 2 ( out of 3 zones ) = 180 baht

It really is expensive there !

( p.s. if your stuck in pollution, come out to Bangna where we have the sea breezes coming in.....pretty clean out here, and most expensive yellow bus to BKK is a whopping 18 baht ( go el cheapo - maybe 8 baht )

Edited by skippybangkok

Amen. :D

---o0o---

Lost drivers' licence for driving in the left lane in peak hour traffic on a main highway at 61km/h in a 60 zone. Multanova on Canning Highway at 4:30PM.

Bring on the gas ovens!

:D

Sorry, that is absolute rubbish, in Australia (all states) nobody gets knocked off for speeding only 1km/h over any limit, full stop. I've heard many nice 'stories' like this over the years and its absolute rubbish. :)

---o0o---

Bring on the gas ovens!

Sorry, that is absolute rubbish, in Australia (all states) nobody gets knocked off for speeding only 1km/h over any limit, full stop. I've heard many nice 'stories' like this over the years and its absolute rubbish. :)

"collect" - hear it was +3km/h or some where around there,

---o0o---

Bring on the gas ovens!

It happened to me in 2004. If you want to stand up for my cause then fine. My name is Sean Moran and I have Western Australian Drivers' Licence #3345070. Fix it and call me when you have the compensation organised, maestro.

Xig Heil!

---o0o---

Bring on the gas ovens!

Sorry, that is absolute rubbish, in Australia (all states) nobody gets knocked off for speeding only 1km/h over any limit, full stop. I've heard many nice 'stories' like this over the years and its absolute rubbish. :D

It happened to me in 2004. If you want to stand up for my cause then fine. My name is Sean Moran and I have Western Australian Drivers' Licence #3345070. Fix it and call me when you have the compensation organised, maestro.

Xig Heil!

You keep sticking with that 'story' Sean, afterall there will be masses of other people that were booked for only doing 1km over the speed limit to rally behind you :) .

This is silly Sean, you'd be better off talking about what a sexy hansum man you are or something like that :D

Ohh and you won't find me trying to get you compensated for driving in such a dangerous manner :D

Edited by neverdie

When I go back I'm gonna drink some good cheap wine, a range of different beers, quality international food, catch up with some good live sport, but yes, I will be thankful when I get back to Thailand.

Ya.......

Wine and cars cheaper for sure......

quality food? - lots of good restaurants in Bangkok, and i can assure you the quality ( well taste and freshness at least :) ) of food in a Thai food court is superior. Most food courts there have pre cooked dried out food under heat lamps.

---o0o---

Bring on the gas ovens!

Sorry, that is absolute rubbish, in Australia (all states) nobody gets knocked off for speeding only 1km/h over any limit, full stop. I've heard many nice 'stories' like this over the years and its absolute rubbish. :D

Xig Heil!

You keep sticking with that 'story' Sean, afterall there will be masses of other people that were booked for only doing 1km over the speed limit to rally behind you :) .

This is silly Sean, you'd be better off talking about what a sexy hansum man you are or something like that :D

Ohh and you won't find me trying to get you compensated for driving in such a dangerous manner :D

It happened. I am not getting paid to lie here. If you would prefer me to write lies for your own comfort, then PM me and we can sort out a monthly Western Union scheme, but if you don't pay me, I'll tell the truth. Sorry if your sentiments find it unentertaining. I am sure you don't have the same level of Western Australian ancestry that I have, so all I can say ro you is that you are a blowin and get used to the new world. Let that be a warning to us all!

Fly to Thailand, where we have nothing to lament over!

Fly to Thailand, where we have nothing to lament over!

Im in Thailand and let me tell you the Thai cops worry me a whole lot more than their Aussie counterparts :D

You might have the misfortune to learn oneday. I hope you don;t have to go through what I have had to, and I realise that you'll naturally blame me before you can even begin to comprehend the untold truth of these matters, but trust in your best judgment then, and may God be with you, 'cause you just lost me, so goodluck with your future. I look forward to it.

---o0o---

Anyway, hope is not lost while there's still Peru, Nicaragua, Africa ... :)

Edited by SeanMoran

Grizzle Grizzle Whinge Whinge.

I think I've enjoyed every trip I've ever made to Australia. And Thailand. and back home to the UK.

The two things they all have in common are great weather and whinging complainers, although neither of those are particularly the reasons I have enjoyed my trips.

By way of example, the most fun I had in three months in the USA was in Albequrque.

SC

Apologies for the slightly surreal nature of the post; I'll let you try and fill in the gaps to link the non-sequitors.

i enjoy going back home for a short spell. usually after 2 weeks, i'm ready to come back to Thailand. and sometimes when i'm sitting around thinking "what the fuc_k am i doing here???", i remember to my times back home and it always re-occurs to me that i wouldn't want to be anywhere else at this given moment.

So how many offenses did you have before this 1 km over ticket ? I think that could maybe explain them taking your license, but one ticket ???

Fair question. Answer zero. It was the camera that was just there to fine people for driving home from work at 4:30 in the afternoon in a harmonic convoy of vehicles on a sunny Summer's day.

Their own administrative errors meant that they never sent me the ticket (that was for being in a convoy of normal traffic on a two lane highway in the left lane at 1km/h over the limit - which is slow for the usual pace on that highway if you can imagine a 60km/h highway), until two months after I left the country for Thailand, in 2005, and I only found out about my 1 km/h CRIME after returning to Western Australia, and had to pay $150+ to get my drivers' licence back for just being a normal driving citizen.

I love the land that my ancestors were born and lived their lives in, but it's become completely uncivilised. I'd rather be frustrated in Thailand than phucked around in my home town, and I speak for all the displaced ancestors of Western Australia. It's not the town it used to be, and God help those stuck there still. Zimbabwe is more civilised, and that's not how WA used to be.

When I go back I'm gonna drink some good cheap wine, a range of different beers, quality international food, catch up with some good live sport, but yes, I will be thankful when I get back to Thailand.

Ya.......

Wine and cars cheaper for sure......

quality food? - lots of good restaurants in Bangkok, and i can assure you the quality ( well taste and freshness at least :) ) of food in a Thai food court is superior. Most food courts there have pre cooked dried out food under heat lamps.

Referring to delicatessens

ohhhhhh..

forgot to add.

- 80km/h speed limit on 5 lane toll way - even at 2 am with barely a car in sight - probably lasts about 10km long.

- 60km/h in the 3 lane tunnel extending from it.

And since when has a statement of fact been a whinge......... if thats the case, the anything on TV can be classified as such.

Edited by skippybangkok