Motorbike Questions Thailand

SinghaLover

Good afternoon everyone,

I just started a thread in the Chiang Mai Forum, but I am not allowed to post URLs yet. Basically, I just moved to Chiang Mai and I am looking for some form of transportation and I got the idea to get a motorbike. I am still trying to figure out whether to rent or to buy.

I am also seeking more concrete advice on riding a motorbike in Thailand.

For once, I know I should definitely wear a helmet, especially since I am rather unexperienced. What about a driver's license? Do I need a Thai or International one or is my German driver's license sufficient?

Maybe you could also recomment some brands and models that fit my requirement of being not expensive but also reliable. Like I said, nothing fancy or fast.

Thank you very much for your help.

Cheers, Singha

You'll need a licence from somewhere, the simplest being a licence for 'something' from your home country and an international permit to go with it. Auto clubs tend to sell those, but I've only ever got one by walking into the office in my home nation. I'm not sure how one goes about obtaining a permit if you're already here. It's also a good idea to take out reliable travel or health insurance.

If you can ride a bicycle well enough, you're part way there, but look for a nice easy 4-stroke like an Honda Wave or similar, and spend as much time as you can practicing on the backroads with low-speed sorts of traffic before venturing onto the highway. I've been riding a bike since I was 5 years old, and still had two major accidents here already, so keep in mind that it's risky business, but what choice does one have in the way of personal transport with the prices of cars here?

Best thing is a Thai drivers license, but you can only get them (mostly) if you are on something else as a tourist visa. They are not that hard to obtain and much better as one from your own country if you ever have insurance or accident issues.

I am on a Multiple Entry Non-Immigrant ED Visa valid for one year.

Should I therefore better get a Thai driver's license?

yepp, you should

german DL in English is legal in LOS and usually works fine, but thai DL is best in LOS

I believe driver's licenses from other countries are only accepted here, not legal. The requirement is a home country license and an international license. That is only good for three months here. Then you are required to get the Thai license. It is easy to get. Get the car and bike at the same time. What is accepted and what the law actually requires are often two very different things.

Tim

If you are NOT an experienced rider in your home country then I would say that Thailand is NOT the place to learn. If your DL from your home country does not cover driving a motorcycle specifically then again it is actually useless.

If you are an experienced rider in your home country then a bike is great! Do remember that this is not the same country that you are from! Traffic rules are followed or not as suits the whim of the driver. The biggest vehicle on the road should be treated as if they have the right-of-way at all times, meaning that being on a motorcycle you rank low on the scale of having right-of-way when it comes to practicalities here.

Helmet and shoes that won't slide off your feet are the first things to have .... after that think about other safety gear. It is just too hot here for me to bother with leathers and I rarely wear decent shoes and both of those things put me at more risk than I would be in 'back home'.

I would suggest never (or almost never) riding at night, particularly in an area you do not know well.

Get a Thai DL as soon as possible. Do have real medical insurance. etc etc etc

If your DL from your home country does not cover driving a motorcycle specifically then again it is actually useless.

All good advice apart from that. A four-wheel licence from home country is adequate (with an International permit) for a two-wheel or four wheel permit in Thailand. If you are licenced to drive a four-wheeled vehicle where you came from, then it is a foregone conclusion that you are licenced to kill yourself on a two-wheeled vehicle in Thailand.

Time for a ride to my restaurant for dinner. See you in an hour, sports fans. :)

If your DL from your home country does not cover driving a motorcycle specifically then again it is actually useless.

All good advice apart from that. A four-wheel licence from home country is adequate (with an International permit) for a two-wheel or four wheel permit in Thailand. If you are licenced to drive a four-wheeled vehicle where you came from, then it is a foregone conclusion that you are licenced to kill yourself on a two-wheeled vehicle in Thailand.

Time for a ride to my restaurant for dinner. See you in an hour, sports fans. :)

Not true.

The foregone conclusion is that Thailand has seperate car and motorcycle licenses as do most countries and that you can only LEGALLY drive a vehicle that you are licensed to drive. Would the average cop on the street be able to tell? Probably not. Would you be responsible for ANY accident if you were driving illegally regardless of fault? ......

Not only not true but an IDP can only be legally issued to cover you for a vehicle you are licensed for in your home country as well.

Time for a ride to my restaurant for dinner. See you in an hour, sports fans. :D

Not true.

The foregone conclusion is that Thailand has seperate car and motorcycle licenses as do most countries and that you can only LEGALLY drive a vehicle that you are licensed to drive. Would the average cop on the street be able to tell? Probably not. Would you be responsible for ANY accident if you were driving illegally regardless of fault? ......

Not only not true but an IDP can only be legally issued to cover you for a vehicle you are licensed for in your home country as well.

Yes it is true that unless I am dead, I am always the liable party. Party on! :)

This is not true. You must have a motorcycle endorsement from your home country. You must also have the endorsement on your international license. You can only get that endorsement if you have the endorsement already on your home country license.

Tim

This is not true. You must have a motorcycle endorsement from your home country. You must also have the endorsement on your international license. You can only get that endorsement if you have the endorsement already on your home country license.

Tim

Okay, I was only trying to help with reality on this advice but play it your way then.

Happy travels.

Time for a ride to my restaurant for dinner. See you in an hour, sports fans. :D

Tim

Thanks Tim ....

I'd add more but I think the only thing I could add would cause trouble :)

Tim

Thanks Tim ....

I'd add more but I think the only thing I could add would cause trouble :)

Sorry mate. I understand now that the purpose of being here is to provide advice to make other people's lives impossible, and shall do my best to help you with these goals in future. After all, life wasn't meant to be easy was it?