Briton Convicted After Having Fled To Thailand For 2 Years

Nearly100KmemberNumber

Sussex man jailed after cashing in on banking blunder

The Argus / Brighton, UK

7:10pm Thursday 11th February 2010

bryanwilson.jpg

Bryan Jones

A man who cashed in on a massive banking blunder has been jailed.

Bryan Wilson thought it was his lucky day when Barclays Bank confused him for a wealthy customer of the same name.

The bank contacted Wilson, 58, believing him to be one of their wealthiest customers, while they were reviewing their customer database.

Seizing his opportunity, Wilson assumed his richer namesake's identity and had a whopping £790,000 transferred to his own account in June 2007.

When the rich Mr Wilson discovered the money missing in September 2007, the bank called in the police.

Sussex Police's major fraud unit started a search for the fraudster but found he had fled to Thailand.

Wilson was arrested when he flew back to the UK and detectives stopped him as he arrived Heathrow airport last September.

He was yesterday sentenced to two years in jail after pleading guilty to making a false representation for gain, contrary to the Fraud Act.

Detective Constable Russ Jones, of Sussex Police's major fraud unit, said: “Bryan Wilson was an opportunist thief who took advantage of an administrative mistake.

“Any honest person would immediately have pointed out that they were not the real owner of the account but it was just bad luck that he reacted with clear criminal intent.

“This was a virtually million to one mischance, but although he initially gained control of the money, like so many thieves his attempts were doomed to failure as soon as the real Mr Wilson realised what was afoot.

“Like so many thieves, Bryan Wilson seized what he thought was the main chance, and failed.”

Since his arrest detectives have recovered all but £9,752.82 of the money from Wilson's bank account, but said that they intend to seek a confiscation order to claim back the rest of the money.

A spokesman for Barlcays Bank said: "Barclays takes stringent precautions to minimise the risk of any fraud although in this instance we haven't met the high standards we set ourselves.

“We advise our customers to check their bank accounts carefully and regularly and let us know immediately if anything seems wrong.

“Any customer who is an innocent victim of fraud will be refunded and will not be financially disadvantaged."

theargus.co.uk/news/5003461.Sussex_man_jailed_after_cashing_in_on_banking_blunder/

I wouldn't of gone back in a hurry, and even if I did it would have been via Europe over land in 1st class.

Wonder if he managed to move it all out here in time, fuc_k, whats 2 years any way? 350,000 quid a year, prob only do 1 year on good terms.

I wouldn't of gone back in a hurry, and even if I did it would have been via Europe over land in 1st class.

Wonder if he managed to move it all out here in time, fuc_k, whats 2 years any way? 350,000 quid a year, prob only do 1 year on good terms.

"Since his arrest detectives have recovered all but £9,752.82 of the money from Wilson's bank account"..........try £4500 a year

They got it all back apart from 9,000 odd

If they hadn't he would have got a lot longer

:)

Since his arrest detectives have recovered all but £9,752.82 of the money from Wilson's bank account, but said that they intend to seek a confiscation order to claim back the rest of the money.

At least he'll always have his looks.

If you take into account the interest earned,i think he has provided them with a safe two years period(recession) ....in fact you could go as to far to say he has done them a favour!

In fact it must be a record bringing 790.000 pound into Thailand and in 2 years only spending 9.000!!!

Credit were its due i think! :)

--------------------------------------------------------

Edited by cdnvic
removed unrelated photo

What an utter idiot.

790,000 Quid in the bank and couldn't resist going back to the UK??????!!!!!!

Jeeze, what must have been going through his skull?

But hey! Don't you love the double standard applied in the UK? The poor brain dead twit has handed almost all the money back after spending a very modest amount of 9,000 Quid or so over two years. But what about the fuc_king UK politicians with their snouts in the tax payers' money stealing millions and millions?

"Oh, did I do wrong? Must have been an oversight. Here you are, I'll pay back a little and carry on in my present job until next year."

And not forgetting the bankers, who have defrauded the UK tax payers out of BILLIONS but screwing up the economy with their greed. Don't see many of them sitting behind bars.

Presumably they are all too "self-important to prosecute", whilst poor ol' insignificant Wilson ends up with two years as an example to us all.

Me? I'd have taken the cash and disappeared.

£9,700 in two years , where was he staying in a monastry or something. Responsible or what. Lucky if that would do some of us two months.

He should serve 10 years for being so stupid :D 60 years old !!! What an embarrassment to us seniors. :)

I is unfortunate that white collar crime pays and fraud and defrauding people for millions of dollars in any country in the world in the past only resulted in 2 year jail sentences. Mr. Madoff and a few others are not the rule of thumb and it is only in the past few years due to pressure on governments that white collar criminals are getting more time. If your going to commit a crime make it a white collar crime.

He left it in his bank account????? Couldn't he afford a mattress to put it under?

This case is interesting.

I have an on line account with a UK bank in London.

Written in the bank's terms and conditions it mentions that if an on line customer accidentally sends money on line to a wrong account, then the responsibility is on the sender to get his/her money refunded from whoever the money was sent to at the discretion of the receiver and not the bank's responsibility.

Maybe if Mr Wilson had not done a runner and just said; I am considering this money as a gift, the bank would not had the powers legally to retrieve the money.

Edited by BigWheelMan

I had 1.75 million US$ 'accidentally' transferred into one of my bank accounts a few years ago, but the bank noticed their mistake before I did, and took it back. I kept a copy of the bank statement, and framed it..! What would I have done, if I had noticed first is a very good question.....? :)

I would of kept the money and would not of gone home again. I wonder why he went home! I like crimes commited this way, it's like getting back at the establishment somehow.

Stealing a guy's retirement fund to punish the establishment for you wasting your life?