Huge Economic Boost Expected During Chinese New Year

webfact

Love actually is on Chinese New Year

By SUCHAT SRITAMA

THE NATION

Huge economic boost expected from revellers, with Valentine's, lunar celebrations on same day

BANGKOK: -- Roughly 800,000 foreign revellers are expected to celebrate tomorrow's dual celebration of Chinese New Year and Valentine's Day, Tourism Authority of Thailand governor Suraphon Svetasreni said yesterday.

Of that figure, 120,000 ethnic Chinese are expected to arrive from China, Malaysia, Singapore, Hong Kong and Taiwan between today and next Saturday.

Suraphon said 44 charter flights would bring tourists to Bangkok from China, while 74 flights would shuttle them down to Phuket and five more to Koh Samui.

"The TAT hopes Chinese tourists will spend Bt770 million on the dual events," said Suraphon.

He said ethnic-Chinese foreigners were a key market segment being approached this month.

Meanwhile, many general tourists plan to hold their wedding in Thailand on Valentine's Day tomorrow.

The TAT also predicts 4 million locals will travel within the country for the festivals, especially to 10 places where that will hold special Chinese New Year events, including Nakhon Sawan and Phuket provinces.

Thai Hotels Association president Prakit Chinamourphong said hotels in Bangkok received 30 per cent more advance bookings for the period around the dual holidays.

However, many hotel operators feel disappointed that Chinese New Year and Valentine's Day overlap, because they lose the chance to gain twice.

Hotels, restaurants and family-entertainment operators are offering promotions to lure customers this weekend.

Meanwhile, the Chinese government yesterday said more than 650 million passenger trips had already been taken this year, a figure roughly equal to the number of tickets sold for various means of transport.

Some 210 million passengers are expected to travel by train during the Chinese New Year period, which officially began late last month. Nearly 30 million more will travel by air.

Aside from snow and rain, the weather agency said coastal areas had also been hit by strong winds in recent days.

As people scrambled at the last minute to secure train tickets home, police said they had detained more than 5,700 scalpers since the end of last month, when an official crackdown was launched involving 450,000 police officers.

Authorities have confiscated 27,000 real tickets and 5,900 fake ones on offer from scalpers, said the Public Security Ministry.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2010-02-13

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

I would like to know where the TAT get there figures from sometimes i think they just pick numbers and hope they are in the ballpark,i think it could well be a big cover story and infact the many people supposed to be celebrating new year and valentines day are infact red shirted insurgents spreading there new found love and best wishes for a lucky year ahead!

However, many hotel operators feel disappointed that Chinese New Year and Valentine's Day overlap, because they lose the chance to gain twice.

My heart bleeds for them... :)

Some 210 million passengers are expected to travel by train during the Chinese New Year period, which officially began late last month. Nearly 30 million more will travel by air.

plus 80 milj Thais I think Chiangmai will be crowded take a Que ticket :):D

My hill tribe gal celebrates New Years at least four times in the winter months.

Farang NY, then Hill Tribe NY, then Thai NY, and now Chinese NY. If she could research well enough on the internet (she doesn't read books, it makes her sleepy), ...she could find a bunch other New Year time slots, and celebrate those also. Thankfully, she only uses internet for playing checkers, otherwise she'd be wanting to go out to party every day of the year.