Hot Engine Comparison

lennya12threh

I'm not a mechanic, but looking at it from a purely physics standpoint, any internal combustion engine has an optimal running temperature, and if the cooling system is working properly you shouldn't notice any difference between the heat of 2-pots compared to 4 pots, with the exception 4's may warm up quicker. In the end, they are both repetitive controlled explosions using the same fuel, generally same surrounding materials, so potential heat energy should be roughly the same.

Edited by ScubaBuddha

I'm not a mechanic, but looking at it from a purely physics standpoint, any internal combustion engine has an optimal running temperature, and if the cooling system is working properly you shouldn't notice any difference between the heat of 2-pots compared to 4 pots, with the exception 4's may warm up quicker. In the end, they are both repetitive controlled explosions using the same fuel, generally same surrounding materials, so potential heat energy should be roughly the same.

Daihatsu found out some decades ago 330-350cc per cylinder is the optimal petrol engine. so based on this, a 2 cylinder 650 produces less heat than a 3 or 4 cylinde 650cc. and a 4 cylinder 1800cc produces less heat than a 2 cylinder 1800cc. In my own experience, I belive Daihatsu is still correct.

Most 1000-1200cc modern ecocars are 3 cylinders.

Lenny's Gixxer must be overheating again :)

Again?

It never was!

That was the 1991 vfr. LoL

Just saw a vtr1000 for sale looked nice. Ive never driven a 2 cyl... thinking about the immense torque it must have... top speed of the vtr1000 listed as about the same as my gsxr750 but torque, another story...

I dont expect to have any problems with any newer bikes from the 21st century :D, it just always enters my mind because half of the bike bikes ive owned have had heating problems, which makes for a large % of my experience on big bikes. Thankfully, half the bikes ive owned is only 1. that dam_n vfr. Ive only ever had 2. The gixxer, never gave me any problems.

Edited by lennya12threh

I can see why the OP might be thinking that a V-twin motor might run cooler than an inline 4 simply because the larger surface area for air-cooling per cylinder. But since these are usually water cooled, it shouldn't matter because as said before, there is an optimum running temp. Cooler is not necessarily better so the water cooled engine can control the temp to keep it high enough, but not too high. The extra surface area for air-cooling is not really important.

Edited by blakegeee