Mae Sot Burma Border Visa Run

Colabamumbai

Hi Colabamumbai, I did this four years ago, then you paid the Burma visa fee of 500 Baht at the entry point and had to leave your passport at the immigration office as you can only go as far as the town of Miyawaddy for a look round and a bite to eat, or you simply keep your passport and walk back over the bridge without staying. You will only get 15 days for a border crossing unless you have a proper visa for re entering Thailand. Regards HighPlains Drifter.

I did the same run a little over 3 months ago.

The fee is still 500 Baht.

The Burmese are very friendly and efficient. They use small visa stamps in your passport too, unlike Cambodia who issue full page visa.

A walk around the town is unlikely to inspire you. A walk around the market on the Thai side (left of the bridge as you walk back to Thailand side) is likely to be more productive.

yes all correct. as you go to the bridge on the left. give the Thai man/lady your passport through the small window of the office. and they will stamp you out. cross the bridge on right. at the other side small office also on right, go in they will take a photo, stamp your passport. on the Thai side use the office on the left give them your passport and they give you the usual form to fill out. easy as pie

Thanks for your replies. I have a one year Ed. visa. I noticed by the immigration stamp put in my passport at the airport that I must leave before 90 days. To add to my question what do you suggest the easiest way to get to Mae Sot using public transport? It has been 35 years since I travelled to the north of Thailand.

Thanks for your replies. I have a one year Ed. visa. I noticed by the immigration stamp put in my passport at the airport that I must leave before 90 days. To add to my question what do you suggest the easiest way to get to Mae Sot using public transport? It has been 35 years since I travelled to the north of Thailand.

asuming that people who dont know where to start all live in this big city of BKK: go to Mochit and find a bus-plenty by day or for overnight. Or-a little pricier but quicker and more comfy-hail a taxi and make a deal.

BTW; Mae Sot is officially not North of Thailand-its central. Do not confuse (as so many do) with MAE SAI-north of Chiang Rai and thus much further away. Can also do visaruns there.

asuming that people who dont know where to start all live in this big city of BKK: go to Mochit and find a bus-plenty by day or for overnight. Or-a little pricier but quicker and more comfy-hail a taxi and make a deal.

BTW; Mae Sot is officially not North of Thailand-its central. Do not confuse (as so many do) with MAE SAI-north of Chiang Rai and thus much further away. Can also do visaruns there.

Thanks again, I am somewhat familiar with the north as I have been to Chaing Mai, Chaing Rai and Mae Hon Son, but never to Mae Sot, I had travelled the Mekhong and northern parts but so many years ago. I was not sure If I could go directly or had to go to the larger city east of there and then take another bus. I appreciate your advice, and will follow it.

Bus from Mo Chit to Kampaeng Phet, poss via Nakhon Sawan, bus to Tak then minibus over the mountain (80k, one hour). Motorbike to 'friendship bridge' (wait and return), half an hour to and fro Burma (500 bt).

Did this years ago but probably the same. I drive there now, a lot easier and safer - the minibus is a nightmare.

Colabamumbai: Are you from India? Do you have an Indian passport? Were you able to get back into thailand at the mae sot/burma immigration checkpoint? I'm here in Mae Sot on a 15 day visa on arrival (got it in bangkok) and I was wondering if I can cross at the friendship bridge and get a visa to get back into Thailand on an indian passport...

Colabamumbai: Are you from India? Do you have an Indian passport? Were you able to get back into thailand at the mae sot/burma immigration checkpoint? I'm here in Mae Sot on a 15 day visa on arrival (got it in bangkok) and I was wondering if I can cross at the friendship bridge and get a visa to get back into Thailand on an indian passport...

I am with a Canadian passport I have not done the border run yet. I don't think that you should have a problem if you look at the replies on my post. No one has asked me what nationality I was. So I would say its a go for you. Read some of the replies to my post for more information. I used to run around here in the 1970's and have just returned so a lot of it is new to me.