Any Old Style Blacksmiths That Heat Metal And Hammer It ?

Hi

I am looking for old time blacksmiths, the type you would see in the movies with a big furnace they heat metal bars in and then beat over an anvil with a big hammer, or maybe even using a power hammer to beat the metal to form,

I need to get some "antigue" stuff made , I can do it in India but do not really want to go there...

thanks for your help

BK

I don't know how helpful this will be because I can't give you an exact location, but a couple years back I was in the Talad Noi area walking in one of the back streets heading in the direction of the river when I passed a small blacksmith shop. The guy was making tools like tongs, etc. If you speak Thai or have a friend who does you could ask when in the general area. Likely not the only one. You can find just about anything in that area. From time to time I source stuff there and I find one of the best ways is to just ask people. Sometimes you have to visit 4-5 places before you hit pay dirt, but eventually you will find what you are looking for. It is a pretty tight community so they know who does what in many cases. The area around the ODEON circle has lots of shop selling raw metal products, so those people would be in a good position to know where you might find some blacksmithing services in the area. Might be your best starting point.

Edited by qualtrough

I don't know how helpful this will be because I can't give you an exact location, but a couple years back I was in the Talad Noi area walking in one of the back streets heading in the direction of the river when I passed a small blacksmith shop. The guy was making tools like tongs, etc. If you speak Thai or have a friend who does you could ask when in the general area. Likely not the only one. You can find just about anything in that area. From time to time I source stuff there and I find one of the best ways is to just ask people. Sometimes you have to visit 4-5 places before you hit pay dirt, but eventually you will find what you are looking for. It is a pretty tight community so they know who does what in many cases. The area around the ODEON circle has lots of shop selling raw metal products, so those people would be in a good position to know where you might find some blacksmithing services in the area. Might be your best starting point.

Thanks for the info, I know down by the Train Station there are some metal shops but I never looked around ODEON circle area,

There is an area near Chinatown where all the Monk bowls are made, tourist place on the corner, but if you follow the hammering thru the back streets you will find old craftsman making bowls with only crude hammers and a dolly, amazing work.

If you know of any other areas that do metalwork etc I would love to know about them,

That whole area of Chinatown is amazing for all the things made , but I am still looking for a metal spinner like i saw in Mexico city, pretty much working out on the street , his shop / home front door was open and he was spinning metal bowls etc ?

Also any small casting places...

thanks

BK

good morning,

In my village there is exactly the man you are looking for. he make this special cutters they use for cut sugarcane.

The village is Baan Muang Wan, about 25km north of Khon Kaen... If you are interested, I can go there and take some pics....

Thanks for the info, I know down by the Train Station there are some metal shops but I never looked around ODEON circle area,

There is an area near Chinatown where all the Monk bowls are made, tourist place on the corner, but if you follow the hammering thru the back streets you will find old craftsman making bowls with only crude hammers and a dolly, amazing work.

If you know of any other areas that do metalwork etc I would love to know about them,

That whole area of Chinatown is amazing for all the things made , but I am still looking for a metal spinner like i saw in Mexico city, pretty much working out on the street , his shop / home front door was open and he was spinning metal bowls etc ?

Also any small casting places...

thanks

BK

If head out from Hualomphong, cross the street, and then follow the klong that runs parallel with the main drag in Talad Noi on your right and then turn right and go over one of the several bridges you will find several casting shops in the part of Talad Noi. I know there are at least two there. Sorry to be so vague. I always get a business card, put it in a stack, and can never find it later :)

good morning,

In my village there is exactly the man you are looking for. he make this special cutters they use for cut sugarcane.

The village is Baan Muang Wan, about 25km north of Khon Kaen... If you are interested, I can go there and take some pics....

if its not too much trouble I would love to see pictures, what he heats the metal in and the tools he uses

Thanks

BK

• 1 month later...

walked around for a couple hours today in Talad Noi area but did not find a blacksmith or casting place,

I did see a lot of tools that were made by a blacksmith using old car rear axles , but could not get info on where they were done, might be out of town , or around the block !

tired but it was intesting , might try again if I can get better directions...

BK

• 7 months later...