Newly Renovated Railcars To Boost Thailand´s Tourism

webfact

Newly renovated railcars to boost Thailand´s tourism

gallery_327_1086_6110.jpg

BANGKOK: -- (NNT) – The State Railway of Thailand (SRT) and the Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT) planned to boost Thailand's tourism by renovating the train carriages.

SRT's Public Relations and Marketing Director, Kamolchanok Mukda said the SRT has cooperated with the TAT to renovate nine Air-Conditioned Diesel-powered Railcars. Currently, one railcar was claimed completely renovated.

The SRT has decorated new wall, ceiling, wind screen frames with curtains, sunscreen films and the whole restrooms. The old floor was replaced to prevent gliding and noise, while the seats were equipped with the new fire retardant seat covers.

Currently, the renovated railcar has been used for a day trip route to Suan Son Pradipat, which cost 240 THB per passenger on a round trip. Eight other railcars will also be renovated such as the Sai Yok Waterfall route in Kanchanaburi in order to promote the SRT's train trips.

nntlogo.jpg

-- NNT 2010-02-14

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

Eight other railcars will also be renovated such as the Sai Yok Waterfall route in Kanchanaburi in order to promote the SRT's train trips.

I've been to that waterfall, it's beautiful, as are many of the waterfalls I've had the pleasure of visiting throughout Thailand. However, easing the transport of many more tourists can have some drawbacks, particularly if a significant portion of those visitors are loose about tossing/leaving trash around.

Suggestion: at the entry point of each parks, there could be a required mini-education that teaches about the importance of keeping the parks untarnished. Mention could also be made of leaving wildlife alone, though there aren't any wild mammals at any of those parks, and probably a dearth of reptiles also. the mini-education could be arranged so visitors would be forced to walk through a simple maze, with several stops to hear/see the advantages of not trashing the environment - altogether just a few minutes delay from entering the park.

It wouldn't stop all the trash tossing, but it would lessen it.

When I went to visit a seashore park south of San Fransciso, there was a park ranger stationed there at the entry point. Each group that came to see the seals there, were required to stand and listen for a couple minutes - as the ranger spoke about the importance of not going close to the seals or bothering them in any way. It doesn't directly relate to Thailand as they've long since killed and/or driven off any seals (and turtles) that used to reside on its coasts. But it gives a picture of a bit of what Thai officials could do to try and keep their parks from deteriorating.

As for cities, well, Thai cities hardly have any parks at all, so it's a moot point.

Eight other railcars will also be renovated such as the Sai Yok Waterfall route in Kanchanaburi in order to promote the SRT's train trips.

I've been to that waterfall, it's beautiful, as are many of the waterfalls I've had the pleasure of visiting throughout Thailand. However, easing the transport of many more tourists can have some drawbacks, particularly if a significant portion of those visitors are loose about tossing/leaving trash around.

Suggestion: at the entry point of each parks, there could be a required mini-education that teaches about the importance of keeping the parks untarnished. Mention could also be made of leaving wildlife alone, though there aren't any wild mammals at any of those parks, and probably a dearth of reptiles also. the mini-education could be arranged so visitors would be forced to walk through a simple maze, with several stops to hear/see the advantages of not trashing the environment - altogether just a few minutes delay from entering the park.

When I went to visit a seashore park south of San Fransciso, there was a park ranger stationed there at the entry point. Each group that came to see the seals there, were required to stand and listen for a couple minutes - as the ranger spoke about the importance of not going close to the seals or bothering them in any way. It doesn't directly relate to Thailand as they've long since killed and/or driven off any seals (and turtles) that used to reside on its coasts. But it gives a picture of a bit of what Thai officials could do to try and keep their parks from deteriorating.

As for cities, well, Thai cities hardly have any parks at all, so it's a moot point.

I thought this topic was about Thailand's railways and their rolling stock, not litter and environmental issues.

:)

I'm not trying to be critical...but am I the only one who thinks the outside of those carriages looks rather garish and silly? Are those the "renovated" carriages? It wouldn't be what I wanted to ride in as a tourist.

My recommendation....get rid of the graffiti.

:D

Renovated rail cars will boost toursim? Imagine a tourist in London or Stockholm or Chicago saying, "Wow, I am going to Thailand to ride in a renovated rail car." This is so naive it actually seems that decision- and policy- makers here think the world revolves around Thailand and that ideas will work just because they thought of them. More of the same, no planning, no research, no thinking. Probably a strategy that came from a fortune teller (or the contractor cousin who will get the baht for the job.) This looks like another bubble in the perpetual fountain of fictional justifications to dupe taxpayers into accepting illusory expenditures created to reward people with the power to authorize them.

Here's the thing...

The tourists will be monied-up city dwellers and the park-ranger will be a b50 per day local with an ill-fitting uniform. If he values his livelihood and knows his place he will wai visitors in the appropriate obsequious manner befitting their education and superior status and pick up their trash after they have left.

If he had the ability to lecture tourists authoritively he wouldn't be working as a park-ranger. He'd be a university graduate with an iphone checking stock options :)

Edited by seri thai

Did anyone actually stop to think at the SRT - that this train now says Teeo Sri Nakharin.

One day they may actually need to use the train on another route but all the tourists for Sri Nakharin will pile on and be taken to another destination??!!

Japan has its' bullet train.

China has the world's fastest train.

South Africa has the Blue Train and the World Cup.

New Zealand has the TranzAlpine.

USA has Amtrak. :)

England has Virgin Cross Country :D and First Trains? :D That's ---- exciting.

and Thailand believes it will 'top the lot' with its renovated and hideously painted Disney-style rolling stock. That's --- words fail me.

BED BUGS still present. :D

I wonder if I could get the Artist to paint my Chair, I like to employ the Handi-capped and who ever painted these Train Cars is Obviously Blind. :D

Good Show TAOTPAMTSMP ( Thailand Authority on Train Paint and Making tourists Sick Ministry Department ) :)

MAYBE - we can come up with new Names for all the Dimwit Ministries here and Abroad to keep it fair. :D

Please do not even consider playing with the TiT moniker :D

This is about the same as putting lipstick on a pig. What will they do when those newly renovated rail cars are part of a as yet to occur train derailment? The odds are much higher that future train accidents will drive away more tourist than these renovated rail cars will add. The SRT needs to stick to basic maintenance on railway right of ways, i.e. rails, sleepers, road crossings, so that we stop hearing about all of the train accidents that have been happening.

The safety issues must have made the number of passengers drop. If you read about the number of accidents over the past six months, pretty flowers on the outside of the train aren't going to assuage your fears.

Why not bite the bullet and renovate the safety measures within the SRT? I think the lipstick on a pig comment above got it spot on.

No, they won't.

Briggsy, don't you remember a few weeks ago T.A.T. said they were going after the up-market,5 star, rich picky tourists.

This is why they've created these high quality Pullman class coaches....for passenger comfort and enjoyment.

Just watch 'em roll. :)

No, they won't.

Briggsy, don't you remember a few weeks ago T.A.T. said they were going after the up-market,5 star, rich picky tourists.

This is why they've created these high quality Pullman class coaches....for passenger comfort and enjoyment.

Just watch 'em roll. :)

Maybe they are fishing for those who don't want to spend a small fortune for a few days ride on the Orient Express that has it's first run later on this month from Bkkk-Pimai-Vientiane-Bkk.... (56,000 - 92,000 Baht)

Renovated rail cars will boost toursim? Imagine a tourist in London or Stockholm or Chicago saying, "Wow, I am going to Thailand to ride in a renovated rail car." This is so naive it actually seems that decision- and policy- makers here think the world revolves around Thailand and that ideas will work just because they thought of them. More of the same, no planning, no research, no thinking. Probably a strategy that came from a fortune teller (or the contractor cousin who will get the baht for the job.) This looks like another bubble in the perpetual fountain of fictional justifications to dupe taxpayers into accepting illusory expenditures created to reward people with the power to authorize them.

Did you ever stop to think, this isn't just aimed at farang? Tourism is not just foreigners these days, the domestic market is huge and very lucrative. This is aimed at Thai people in Bangkok taking day trips. Additionally it will help with foreigners already in Bangkok that are looking to do day trips. Daily return trip train routes will be great and I'm looking forward to it.

Keeping the toilets clean between BKK & CM might be a start. Not too bad on the NP Special Express but dire on the others.

I was on the train a month ago and something broke only 10mins out of CM. Took over an hour to fix.

even if i NEVER reached my destination with the SRT in time, I kind of like it and I got plenty of time here anyway :)

to fix the watersupply for toilets should really be a good idea, last time on the way from Bkk to Surathani we run out of water just an hour after bkk....fortunately I didnt eat too much spicy food before like some other farang obviously did :D :D :D :D

btw. Train started an hour late in Bkk around 8 o clock evening and arrived not really in time 15:00 afternoon :D

I often used to go between Bangkok and Chiang Mai by train. Quaint. Then they got bedbugs, and I abandoned them. Now I've got reserved-seat tickets for me and my boyfriend to go to BKK in a 2nd class AC car. QUESTION: Will we still have to share our seats with bedbugs? Do you think TAT would mind if I bring a can of insecticide aboard and spray our seats before using them?

• 1 year later...

Keeping the trains on the rails would be a lot easier if they used standard guage tracks instead of the tinker toy guage now in use all over the country. But, that would be a big expense - just hope the someday to come express line from China all the way to wherever will use standard guage.

I love the trains here. :wub:

But last time we travelled 2nd-class air-con sleeper down to BKK from CNX, when the attendant pulled out our table, he also disturbed several adult cockroaches. No doubt these had been specially-imported by farang backpackers ? :ermm::bah:

Oh and we arrived a fashionable 90-minutes late, and missed the onward-connection, which were aiming-for. <_<

The whole rail network needs an overhaul and serious investment. To be frank, it is an utter embarrassment.

It took 5 hours to get from Bangkok to Hua Hin on Wednesday, a journey that can be done by bus in almost half that time.

Forget painting old tamada class carriages with silly colours and get new rolling stock, replace the miles upon miles of outdated and dangerous track and get a proper electronic system to control the trains.

It is incredulous that in this day and age Thai trains are still using antiquated token systems along single line tracks countrywide.