How Can I Survive In Bangkok For 2 Weeks W/ Limited Money?

FuninPlural

About 4 years ago, I stayed in the Miami Hotel. This is located on Address : 2 Soi 13, Sukhumvit Rd., Klongtoey Naue, Wattana, Bangkok Thailand ,10110

The hotel was outdated and cheap, but the area was ideal. What other cheap hotels are located in this area?

I will be in BKK from Feb. 25-March 10th. I am actually an American coming from Japan. I am exiting Japan becuz my Visa is up, and will re-enter Japan with a fresh visa.

I would've gone to Taiwan, but it seems more expensive than Thailand. Korea is the cheapest, but other than good food, it doesn't intesrest me at all.

Here is the main problem I will only be able to budget about $300-$400 for the whole 2 weeks. This money must be spent on any hotels, food, subway fares, souvenirs, etc. I know it seems pretty hard to do, but I've always been proud of my survival skills, so please help me work-out somewhat of a plan.

1.) For starters, the 2nd week has to be better than the first week. (i.e. I will spend more money in the 2nd week as I want to leave the country happy). My first time in Thailand was shorter than 2 weeks, but I only ate in restaurants. This time I will have to eat alot from food carts. I have eaten from food carts in Hong Kong and Colombia so I don't really have a problem with it. I need you fine Thai street food conesueirrs to point me in the right direction. Cleanlieness is first, followed by low price, followed by taste. Where are these carts?

2.) I will be carrying my laptop with me, so I should have some internet access. What areas in BKK will bless me with free wireless service (i.e. malls, Starbucks, etc.)

3.) I have no problem walking, as I'm thin and used to walking long distances. Thailand seemed very safe to me (albeit extremely dirty), but is there any part of BKK I shouldn't walk through, especially at night.

4.) In Tokyo, we have manga cafes (comic book-based internet cafes). Basically, you get your own cubicle, your own computer, and free non-alcoholic drinks for about $15. You can stay there for 7 hours. Many people who miss their final train home sleep here. Anything similar in BKK? I know that the weather is hot, so it doesn't really matter if I spend a night out on the street, but if I can find something similar to the Manga cafes it would be better. Cheap 24 hour restaurants?

5.) In Tokyo the cops sometimes stop me to ask what I am doing in town and where is my identification. This never happened to me in the short time I was in Thailand. If I were to be stopped while I was just calmly strolling along and minding my own business is their anything I should say or not say?

6.) In New York City I live in Queens, and I can walk to one of the airports (LaGuardia). If I were to have a map, is it possible to walk to the airport in Bangkok (or are there too many roads (dangerous tuk-tuk traffic) in the way? Last time in BKK I was quoted 3 different prices for the taxi to the airport.

7.) I am studying Japanese and will continue to study it during these 2 weeks, but also I'd like to know if there is anywhere that Japanese tourists like to go. I know I'm not too impressive of a travel buddy as I'll be living off scraps, but still, if I could get the language practice it would help the time go by.

8.) Lastly, what is my best bet to avoid mosquitoes? I know they are all over. Last time I went to some really, really fancy mall in BKK, and the bathroom was super clean, yet there was still a mosquito in there. What advice do you have about this. As I'll be living a vagabond's lifestyle for these 2 weeks, I would like to know.

I can't think of any more questions right now. BTW, this is not a joke post and while it seems crazy to do this in a foreign country, a man must make due with the options that are presented to him, so any tips, advice, etc. will be GREATLY APRRECIATED.

Edited by FuninPlural

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

...I'll be living a vagabond's lifestyle...

Sew these words into the back of your backpack (use a bright, contrasting color)...

"Farang-kee-nok"

...and you'll receive nothing but the highest level of service, respect and assistance from every native you encounter. :)

Edited by toptuan

At approx THB 800 a day you will barely survive, in fact unless you are really in the know it will be impossible. You've been here before, do you honestly think you can walk to the airport. Don Muang was the airport in your day, now it's "Swampy", much further out.

You should head for Korea if it's cheaper. :)

OK, serious tips:

#2 Forget Starbucks in Thailand which charges an exhorbitant fee (something like 350 baht/hour, or $10USD) to use their wireless. Keeps away all the backpackers who are on a shoestring (you). However, you should be OK in most of the major malls (I prefer Central World).

#3 Yeah, the area where you stayed on your previous trip. Klong Touey. And, as with most cities (except Tokyo), stay away from unlit areas where there are few pedestrians. Be a good boy, and be in bed by 10-11pm every night, instead of stalking the streets until the wee hours of the morning. That's when most of the violent crimes occur in BKK.

#5 With your passport (or copy) with a valid tourist, visa you should have no problem.

#6 Assuming you are talking about the international airport, no you probably don't want to walk there (20-30 km, mostly by expressway). Don't have taxi drivers quote you. Just get in and make sure they turn on their meters. Trip should not be over 150-200 baht from east end of downtown. Check out the new rail link (I think about 150b) which may be open by the time you get here.

#7 Two weeks ago, saw oodles of Japanese tourists at Bang Pa-In, including a troupe of sumo wrestlers. Stop by any travel agency to have them point you in the right direction. Can get quite near there by train (25 baht, 3rd class), and direct to there by public bus (100baht?). It's a beautiful summer palace complex about 50km from Bangkok, which takes a good half-day to appreciate. Lots of cool places to relax and healthy food at the snack shop (fruit salads, etc.).

#8 Wear long-sleeved shirts and long pants. (Shorts make you look like a 14-year-old schoolboy, anyway). For neck, hands and feet/ankles (if you wear open sandals), buy "Ya Gan Yoong" at any local 7-11. It's a pleasant-smelling small plastic spray bottle (pink color, 30 milliliters) which works well. About 35 baht.

I enjoy doing the same as you, trying to survive and have a bit of relaxing fun on a shoestring in a big foreign city. Only too bad you've chose the most expensive location in Thailand to do such. Costs in places like where I live (upcountry) are literally 1/4 the cost of hanging around The Big Mango. Personally, I think you can do it on 800B a day. If you stay somewhere for about 400-500 baht, 150 baht would be plenty for street food, which leaves you a whole 200-baht a day to "blow" (or save up for your extravagant week #2). :)

Good luck,

TT

P.S. By the way, I'd like to recommend Buri Bed & Breakfast, just a 3-minute walk from the nearest BTS (SkyTrain) station (Thonglor Station). It's 450B a night, which includes a light breakfast (toast/tea/coffee). Rooms have A/C, but no view. Each floor shares a public bathroom (no A/C). Includes a nice internet shop on a mezzanine above the bookstore (which stocks great maps) on the first floor.

Contact info.:

Telephone: 02-714-1508-9, (or +66-2-714-1508 from outside Thailand)

E-Mail: [email protected]

Address:

58/14-15 Soi Thonglor

(Sukhumvit 55, Thor Lor BTS)

Klongton Nua, Wattana

Bangkok 10110

Directions:

30 meters from Sukhumvit road as you walk down Soi 55 (Thong Lor) on the right of Thong Lor. Turn right down down the little soi (flower shop on both sides) and it will be immediately on your left. If you enter directly from Thong Lor, it is upstairs above the bookshop.

Edited by toptuan

Take the shuttle bus to Khao San Road for 150 baht. Get a room in a cheap guesthouse for ~300 baht per night. Eat street food for 100 baht per day. Should have plenty to blow on a really good time the last day or two, or a couple beers every night.

Stay at Khao San roda. You should still be able to find rooms for B300 a night (fan room).

Take the bus from the airport.

Eat mama noodles with a stick of moo ping (for the protein) or a clump of sticky rice and a moo ping stick (B10 only per meal!!)

Buy the B5 bottle of water and refill at the refil machines for B1.

I wont bother carrying a laptop, added weight and you have to pay, even at starbucks but i guess you can alwayts milk your coffee for a few hours. But given the price of coffee at starbucks (you are on a budget) cheaper to just go to internet cafe.

Speak japanese in BKK, try soi thaniya but I doubt they will let you in.

Since you intend on living cheap, carry your ID with you, it'll be safer then leaving it in your room.

ps. If you need money dont go asking from expats, we'll just tell you to bugger off. :)

Take the shuttle bus to Khao San Road for 150 baht. Get a room in a cheap guesthouse for ~300 baht per night. Eat street food for 100 baht per day. Should have plenty to blow on a really good time the last day or two, or a couple beers every night.

Public transportation from the airport would be cheaper (25B?). Then you can still get dumps (fan, common bathroom, free mosquitoes) in the KS area for 100B/night. Food stall food 3x/day for 30B each and a bottle of water 10 B: 200B/day or 6US$.

Then when you return to Japan, still money left for the taxi from Narita to downtown :)

Edited by GreenSnapper

Public transportation from the airport would be cheaper (25B?).

He means "city bus." Take the free shuttle from arrivals to the public bus station (which is just outside the airport). There you'll catch a cheap public city bus to downtown.

Is this guy serious???? Why would anyone travel with such a low amount of funds where is the enjoyment of living and eating like a tramp???? Get real :)

lol its not a vacation is survived Vacation Bangkok realy expensive take the train to Ayutthaya 15 baht a ride and there in ayutthaya you can rent a bicycle for 30 baht a day room 150 beer at the bars Large beer 70 baht Chang Beer eat at the market each meal beetween 25 ans 35 baht and Ayutthaya realy nice city thats why i live there allmost 4 years Good Luck

Is this guy serious???? Why would anyone travel with such a low amount of funds where is the enjoyment of living and eating like a tramp???? Get real :)

Where's the fun and enjoyment of traveling like a king with stuffy, arrogant, hi-so people? :D

2.) I will be carrying my laptop with me, so I should have some internet access. What areas in BKK will bless me with free wireless service (i.e. malls, Starbucks, etc.)

There's free public wi-fi in a lot of areas of Bangkok, run by truewifi. You have to sign up and get a username, but they don't charge- plenty of hotspots around for it- you can get more information on it here-

http://www.truewifi.net/en/promotion/green_bangkok.htm

You are going to have a real tough time surviving for 2 weeks in Bangkok on that kind of money if you need to rent a hotel room.

I would check out something like couchsurfing.org and see if I could find a place to stay either free or very cheap. You could conceivably do it with a fan only room at Kao Sarn Rd. for around 400 and using internet cafe's at 20 baht per hour (much cheaper than wireless, and the True internet mentioned above is mostly unusable in my experience.)

But that doesn't leave you much for food and incidentals. You can survive on 100 baht per day for food, but you won't enjoy it alot. 200 is about the lowest I would want to go.

I would have to agree though that if all you are really need is a place to camp out for 2 weeks on the cheap, you are a fool to do it in Bangkok. Head upcountry. 3rd class trains are extremely cheap. Chachoengsao or Sa Keow are easily reachable and offer lodging at half of what you'll pay in the capital. Heck, pretty much any major city except for Bangkok will offer you a very nice 500 baht air conditioned hotel room with free internet. If walks of an hour or 2 don't bother you, you don't need any transportation for getting around when you are there, and if you really find yourself exhausted a motorcycle taxi up country will rarely set you back more than 50 baht.

Go somewhere else and head back to the capital just in time to pick up your visa.

Edited by gregb

Thank all of you for your help.

I planned on carrying my laptop as I have like 30 great ebooks and a whole internet to peruse through. I don't have the money to have a fantastic time, but at least I can lose myself in the knowledge and quirkiness of the internet. On second thought though, I'm not really too comfortable carrying around a laptop when I'm not even sure where I will be laying my head for the night. What do internet cafes go for? What's the cost of printing a word document per page?

Many of you keep mentioning Khao San Road. I guess I wouldn't have to make a reservation beforehand, right? Should I just show up and hope I find a room in one of the hotels/guesthouses available in the area? For reference purposes, if I were to walk from the Miami hotel to the hotels on Khao San Road, how long of a walk would it be?

In Japan I'm already staying in a rented apartment, and I spend most of my money on food and transportation. $300-$400 USD just happens to be the budget for Bangkok, but I do okay in Japan. I do not have emergency back-up funds in tow, so this budget is the complete budget.

In Japan, I live about a $13 train ride away from the airport. Only a complete noob would take a taxi from Narita to downtown Tokyo.

I am interested in this mention of taking a public bus from the airport. I will be asking more details on this as the date nears.

The reason I'm choosing BKK instead of a cheaper area of Thailand to survive on this meager budget is because I know BKK and I know it provides enough attractions and distractions to keep me from getting bored. I wouldn't mind traveling North but once I get there, will I be assured a hotel room will be available? Will I find enough things to do with my time? I didn't need a phrasebook in BKK as the places I went understood some English, but will I be understood in these up-North areas?

Edited by FuninPlural

I welcome FuninPLural , its easy to live in LOS with a tight budget , just ignore all the warning posts from expats thinking theire way of living is the only one.

In Bangkok you will find small rooms in guesthouses starting from 200 baht , even near BTS, just walk around for any signs.

The streetfood is 20-40 baht so no worries there if you can eat like a thai.

Free Internet is possible , maybe the best way to find it is here:

http://www.stickmanweekly.com/WiFi/Bangkok...nternetWiFi.htm

So with a daily budget of 950 baht its no problem when your'e alone and have no plans to pay for the entertainment :)

Edited by balo