Elephants Are Smuggled From Burma

elcent

Today SPIEGEL TV Magazin from 22.20 bis 23.10 Uhr, RTL. 3:20 am Thailand time

Details of Elephants being abused in Thailand and baby Elephants being smuggled from Burma. The population of Thai elephants is in fact shrinking 3% per year.

Fact finding, investigative report. If you have a chance follow it up. In German only, but someone can translate it.

http://www.spiegel.de/video/video-1045853.html

6000 to 8000 Baht for a Burmese Baby Elephant.

That's cheaper than a Honda C50!

What mpg can you get out of them?

So would you like and roam Bangkok's streets with these unfortunate creatures? Even being considered as holy animals by many Thais, treatment is not appropriate. One has no idea of how much pain it causes for an Elephant to walk on hot concrete, asphalt amidst pollution. :)

So would you like and roam Bangkok's streets with these unfortunate creatures? Even being considered as holy animals by many Thais, treatment is not appropriate. One has no idea of how much pain it causes for an Elephant to walk on hot concrete, asphalt amidst pollution. :)

No I live in the countryside. Got a great big paddock too.

There is a great big one [elephant] in the village and everyone turns out to say hello when he's out and about.

Fantastic creatures.

baby elephant from burma might be cheap to buy, but it has to be fed - tens and hundreds kilo of food everyday. It has to be trained as well, in order to do some work and just to be obedient and under controll - an angry elephant is a danger.

the elephant population is shrinking in thailand, but still many can't find work in the forests and countryside all year round and are coming to the big cities to beg for food

Elephant smuggling? You mean they can fit them into the lining of a suitcase?

:)

Surely they hide them in a trunk, not a suitcase ? :D

Oh that was so bad. :D

How do you fit two into the same piece of baggage ? You just pachy-derm in any-old-how ! :D

:D

Oh that was so bad. :D

How do you fit two into the same piece of baggage ? You just pachy-derm in any-old-how ! :D

Awesome!

Me and a fellow engineer sat in a motorway service station in the UK. Anyway, on the table next to us was the woman introducing another woman to some sort of pet insurance sales business. The BS, you should have heard it!

So I turn round to her and ask if the have a policy to cover taxidermy rabbits . . . . oh, like a lead balloon! :)

So, your point may be obvious. Nice you can type from your home or comfortable office. But tell us, what are you doing about elephants that have lost work due to mechanization. They have no work, not way to generate income for their mahouts. So what are the mahouts to do? Elephants live for what, 80 -100 years, I don't know how long! Tell me how you would solve the problem or would you rather the mahouts dump elephants in the closest National Park. Tell us what your doing to help an elephant live another day healthy.

I for one don't like idiots like the guy doing the videoing unless he really helps achieve a solution.

The above looks like a PETA video, whose organization distorts EVERYTHING!!! I said it in another post awhile back and I will say it again. PETA is supported by a bunch of wack jobs and do not practice what they preach. They are known for euthanizing thousands of perfectly healthy animals a year.

PETA: People who Euthanize Tamed Animals.

:)

No, No! Your thinking of Budgies! It's Budgies they smuggler in their trunks. (they, I mean Australians)