High School Farang Kids In Thailand

FarangYaayYaaw

Hi,

I will be moving back to Bangkok soon. I have a 13 year old son who I would like to bring with me (his mother is just too busy to really take care of him.) He is half-thai but was raised in the US. When I told a friend of mine who has lived in Thailand the last 20 years he strongly discouraged me from bringing my son - told me horror tales of people he knows who have had bad experiences there (mostly drug related.)

I would be really interested in hearing about people who have experience with this either direct or second hand (not third-hand, rumors, etc.)

Thanks.

If your kid is inclined to be a druggie, he can do that here as easy as most anywhere else...

I'm all for multi-cultural experiences for kids. My only concern might be the school, and whether he gets proper schooling for his future... One of the accredited international schools would be worth exploring.

Yes, there are horror tales here, like anywhere. I've lived here as long as your friend, and I see no reason to strongly discourage someone from living here unless I know them personally, and strongly feel they don't have what it takes to make it here, for one reason or another. Maybe you might want to explore this possibility with your friend more....

Otherwise, I think it's a great Life Experience for a kid :D

Just noticed your nick. Kind of makes me wonder about your parenting a teenager... Or maybe I'm just putting too much thought into a nick that seems to proclaim a big penis :o

Edited by Ajarn

Hi,

I will be moving back to Bangkok soon. I have a 13 year old son who I would like to bring with me (his mother is just too busy to really take care of him.) He is half-thai but was raised in the US. When I told a friend of mine who has lived in Thailand the last 20 years he strongly discouraged me from bringing my son - told me horror tales of people he knows who have had bad experiences there (mostly drug related.)

I would be really interested in hearing about people who have experience with this either direct or second hand (not third-hand, rumors, etc.)

Thanks.

In America, you'd have to cough up a lot of money in property taxes and sales taxes to fundyour local public school system. So education is not "free" there.

In Thailand, you get the option to "vote" with your money on what kind of education you want for you kid, however, the drawback to this system is that there are a lot of school that don't give a sh!t about education and are simply profit-making enterprises. Once the tuition is paid, your child is now an EXPENSE and therefore, like all businesses, those schools are going to try to minimize their expenses (less money spent on the kids) and maximize their profits (more kids in a classroom with fewer teachers supervising them).

So education in this country is very spotty and accountability is almost non-existent. One year your child may have a wonderful, dedicated teacher, and the next he may have a drunken pedophile who can't be arsed to actually WORK for a paycheck.

This might be true in the States too, but at least there you could expect the school administration to supervise, train, and discipline teachers. Here? HA! Accountability is a dirty word. "Shuffling things under the rug" and "Shifting blame" are more common administrative tasks.

Again, this is not true at all schools, and this is not true of all administrators or teachers. But what it does mean is that you have to be very CAREFUL.

Don't pick a school simply based on how well they manicure their lawns. Appearance and reputation are important to help you narrow down choices, but don't be fooled. Sometimes a good reputation is just that, reputation only. The rest is all smoke and mirrors. So be sure to pull back the curtain and check the background of the man behind the Wizard of Oz.

Pay attention to your child's education. Check to make sure the school has a REAL curriculum and that they actually STICK TO IT and USE IT. Get to know their teacher and if possible, check their teacher's background and social standing in the community (is he well-liked? has he been working there more than a year? any complaints from parents whose kids he previously taught? etc....).

Thailand is definitely a "Buyer Beware" marketplace and that goes doubly for education. If you're willing to open a vacuum-cleaner box at Tesco to inspect and count the contents before buying it (a common practice here and something that is rarely done Stateside), you should be willing to do the same kind of thing with a school.

Back in the States, you could be confident that if you took something home and found out that it had parts missing or it was broken, you could return it to the store for a refund or replacement. But quite often what happens here is they just shrug their shoulders and tell you "no refunds". They honestly think it's YOUR fault for not checking it before taking it out of the store.

Ditto for schools. If you don't check them out thoroughly, then don't be shocked to find out they aren't as good as they looked. As far as they are concerned, it's your responsibility to monitor your child's education, not theirs.

Hi,

Thanks.

Thailand is not so worst as others think but, its a great place to live. Actually even where you come from, there are so many circumstances those teenage may encounter but believe me or not discipline should come inside the family not from the environment you lived in. Your son is not a small boy anymore he may face challenge in here but close family ties can guide him to go with the right direction in his life. (Family must play an important role to develop youngster attitude) :o

We moved to Thailand with a 13 year old son (and a few others) from Australia. He spent almost his whole time wishing he was back in Sydney. Now 18 and back in Sydney for a year, he has spent almost his whole time wishing he was back in Thailand. Yes, he had friends who delved into drugs while in Bangkok. Probably about the same proportion as in Australia. Agree with Pudgimelon on the school front, ie buyer beware, but found the quality of teachers at his school in Bangkok far better than at his current school.

IMHO parenting, and not schooling, has more impact on whether kids fall victim to drugs.

Back in the States, you could be confident that if you took something home and found out that it had parts missing or it was broken, you could return it to the store for a refund or replacement. But quite often what happens here is they just shrug their shoulders and tell you "no refunds". They honestly think it's YOUR fault for not checking it before taking it out of the store.

Beleived it or not I return my washing machine twice because I am not satisfied with the performance of it. They return back my money and I bought a new brand in other store. In here, you may return a goods within seven days if you are not satisfied with it provided this goods (electronics appliances, etc.) are still in good shape. But you should buy in a center or big store like Central, Lotus, Carefour, Seri Center, Makro and others. Some store they apply this "no refunds" words for selected items like clothes and etc. :o

Pudgimelon

Correction with the "No refund" story: :o

Beleived it or not I returned my washing machine twice because I am not satisfied with the performance of it. They return back my money and I bought a new brand in other store. In here, you may return a goods within seven days if you are not satisfied with it provided this goods (electronics appliances, etc.) are still in good shape. But you should buy in a center or big store like Central, Lotus, Carefour, Seri Center, Makro and others. Some store they apply this "no refunds" words for selected items like clothes and etc. :D

darn auto-log-on I fogot about that nick! Ignore it - it means nothing, I can prove it! :o

My son is a good kid and is at the moment anti-drugs. I lived in Thailand for 6 years before he was born, so I know what it's like to live there and my son has been there visiting his relatives a few times, and isn't in love with the place, but doesn't mind it either.

My freind's point was that the percentage of farang kids going to school there who use drugs is much higher than most schools here, therefore there would be a greater chance my son would be influenced by that. But it's all hear-say - my friend is childless, that's why I'm hoping to hear from people who acutally are (or were) putting their kids through school there.

I'd also be very interested in any comments about different schools.

If your kid is inclined to be a druggie, he can do that here as easy as most anywhere else...

I'm all for multi-cultural experiences for kids. My only concern might be the school, and whether he gets proper schooling for his future... One of the accredited international schools would be worth exploring.

Yes, there are horror tales here, like anywhere. I've lived here as long as your friend, and I see no reason to strongly discourage someone from living here unless I know them personally, and strongly feel they don't have what it takes to make it here, for one reason or another. Maybe you might want to explore this possibility with your friend more....

Otherwise, I think it's a great Life Experience for a kid  :D

Just noticed your nick. Kind of makes me wonder about your parenting a teenager... Or maybe I'm just putting too much thought into a nick that seems to proclaim a big penis  :D

Pudgimelon

Correction with the "No refund" story:  :o

Beleived it or not I returned my washing machine twice because I am not satisfied with the performance of it. They return back my money and I bought a new brand in other store. In here, you may return a goods within seven days if you are not satisfied with it provided this goods (electronics appliances, etc.) are still in good shape. But you should buy in a center or big store like Central, Lotus, Carefour, Seri Center, Makro and others.  Some store they apply this "no refunds" words for selected items like clothes and etc. :D

Just a note about the super stores..... Though good for refunds and exchanges, they're usually deficient in service, particularly things like delivery and installation, and home servicing...

I was lucky to find a store many years ago in CM that had the warranties and the home service. I've stuck with them throughout the years, and they have treated me as a valued customer, too.

It pays to make friends here. Smart business folks value loyal customers. But with the Super Stores, none of that makes any difference because they lack the personal flexibilty in policies that local small business owners have...

The main advantage I see to these stores is that they tend to have stable pricing, which forces smaller competitors to match, or better them, on pricing.

It's not just the drugs you have to worry about in Thai schools. Many Thai kids today are behaving much like the worst teens in Western society. Those books on Thai culture which describe Thai kids as being so polite refer to the past for the most part. Many Thai boys get into gambling and hookers long before leaving high school and will often have an attitude like a lot of American teenagers. Teenage girls here often dress/act like the they should be swinging from poles in seedy bars instead of going to school. I used to teach Mattayom 2 and 4 kids and they are the pits! Just as my parents did in the US, get to know your son's friends and make sure he doesn't mix in with the scumbag teenagers he will be in school with. Make sure you keep him away from those awful computer game places as well.

As another poster mentioned, there is something very positive about bringing your child to live here in Thailand, and that is the cross cultural experience. With proper guidance your son will get the best of both worlds. Good luck! :o

As another poster mentioned, there is something very positive about bringing your child to live here in Thailand, and that is the cross cultural experience. With proper guidance your son will get the best of both worlds. Good luck! :o

yap, thats correct! I am agree for that. nice comments "thaiboxer" :D:D

We moved to Thailand with a 13 year old son (and a few others) from Australia. He spent almost his whole time wishing he was back in Sydney. Now 18 and back in Sydney for a year, he has spent almost his whole time wishing he was back in Thailand. Yes, he had friends who delved into drugs while in Bangkok. Probably about the same proportion as in Australia. Agree with Pudgimelon on the school front, ie buyer beware, but found the quality of teachers at his school in Bangkok far better than at his current school.

IMHO parenting, and not schooling, has more impact on whether kids fall victim to drugs.

Thanks for the reply! Do you mind if I ask what school your son attended?

I agree with Pudgimelon's suggestions, about checking out the school and teachers very thoroughly, in theory. I can't imagine how you'd actually check it out. Even in the USA, where school districts have published statistics, you can't know if a school is still as good or bad as it was five years ago. How would you know 2% of the truth about a given school? How many dozen parents of that school would you need extensive info from, before you knew much?

And have you checked out the prices? The only schools that actually teach anything like what your son's learned in the USA are frightfully expensive. Several hundred thousand baht per year, right?

And what about the fact that your child is half-Thai, half-farang?

And did you say that your son is not keen about coming here?

I have no kids here, but I raised six in the USA. Moving them around the States was the worst thing I ever did to them.

As usual, I find myself in agreement with Peace Blondie. The teens are a delicate age for kids - they need stability and inspired teaching, in addition to parental encouragement and support. The last thing he is going to get at about 98% of Thai schools is inspired teaching and an education which will be of benefit to him anywhere outside Thailand. Unless you can afford to send him to one of the handful of REAL international schools (not just some dreadful Thai owned and managed place which has inserted the word "International" into its title, in order to part guillible parents from their hard-earned cash), then you may be doing him a grave diservice by bringing him to Thailand.

Edited by Rumpole

What some posters have said regarding the quality of education is true....only a handful of schools (which are VERY pricey) can provide anything equivalent to what your son would get in the US. Being a teacher myself, I have read through many ads in which the school uses the word "international" as part of its name. Many of these schools shouldn't even be called bilingual let alone international. A true international school is nothing more than a school which uses a cirriculum/language of instruction that is the same as that used in whatever country/state the school represents. It would be as if you picked up a school in California and set it down in Bangkok. The school should use the same textbooks as those used in that state along with the same cirriculum, etc. Also, most teachers are recruited directly from that country or state at job fairs. Rumradee here in Bangkok is an example of such a school. Most of the teachers are highly qualified (many if not most have a Master's) and were recruited directly from the States. Their salaries are usually very high compared to what is offered at the standard public, private and bilingual schools. If an international school has a shortage of teachers, they may recruit some teachers who are already living here in Thailand but that is rare.

Since your son is already a teenager finding a good school for his grade level can be tricky. Word of mouth is often the best guide to what you and your family need here in Thailand so talk to as many folks as you can. Good luck! :o

Thanks for the reply! Do you mind if I ask what school your son attended?

Bangkok Patana School, and yes it costs a bomb. The non-refundable entry fees are a killer. Especially if you are among the unlucky ones (like us) who were footing the bill themselves.

Another issue you need to consider when choosing a school in Bangkok or even deciding whether to school your child in Bangkok is their options on finishing high school (if your plans are for your son to complete his high school education in Thailand) or transferring back to the US. How well does the curriculum here fit with what he has been doing, what he would be doing if he went back to school in the US or if he wanted to get into a US college. If you are looking at non-US curriculum schools, be aware of the difficulties of switching between the two.

We decided to move the family back to Australia so my eldest son could complete his final 2 years of high school in the Australian system to facilitate entry into an Australian university rather than completing his International Baccalaureate in Bangkok. With 20/20 hindsight this was probably a mistake. I note there are major dissimilarities between US and Australian experience here but it is just an eg.

From looking at the other posts, I think the general response you have received has been that it is the educational issues, rather than the social issues, which probably weigh heaviest in making this decision (along with some helpful advice about returning washing machines).

Hi,

I will be moving back to Bangkok soon. I have a 13 year old son who I would like to bring with me...

Ask yourself, "who am I doing this for, me or my son?".

I think the correct solution should present itself.

Hi,

I will be moving back to Bangkok soon. I have a 13 year old son who I would like to bring with me...

You may have quoted that sentence out of context, Hikage, but look at it - FarangYaayYaaw uses the first person personal pronoun four times, and 'son' only once.

FarangYY - I suggest you DO NOT bring your son unless he INSISTS you bring him to Thailand. His education is not the only thing you should concern yourself with. American teenagers (that's what you've turned him into, in the USA) need a peer group. Your chances of finding a good peer group are difficult, if the 'half-breed' thing is in the minds of the Whites and the Thais. Sorry to say that, but again, you're the one who made him that way. Thais are much more racistor xenophobic than the average Americans are.

FarangYY - I suggest you DO NOT bring your son unless he INSISTS you bring him to Thailand. 

The he's not coming as no 13 year old on the planet is going to insist on moving anywhere. Agree wholeheartedly that he should be consulted but disagree that the decision should necessarily be his alone.

I grew up in a small back woods town in south east Tx. The education provided in that town was really bad. Our computer class, had one computer in the room, and we were not even allowed to touch it. It remained covered, and every once in a while we were given a quick glance at it. I knew that it required electricity, had a key board and a monitor..... that was about it. We did not even have enough text books, so we could not take home our texts....

About the only thing my education taught me was the ability to read. I can't say I learned much more than that. My math and spelling skills are basically an impairment to me!

But I will say this. Both my sisters completed at least a B.S., one recieved a M.S. in Bio Chem, my brother recieved a J.D.D. (lawyer) and I recieved a doctorate. Financially, we are all doing well....

My point is, I think it is not really about the education you recieve, but what an individual does with the education he or she recieves. I think your boy will do fine in Thailand.

Drugs and teen age sex is rampant in America. My guess is he would actually be better off in Thailand.

Hi,

You may have quoted that sentence out of context, Hikage, but look at it - FarangYaayYaaw uses the first person personal pronoun four times, and 'son' only once.

FarangYY - I suggest you DO NOT bring your son unless he INSISTS you bring him to Thailand. His education is not the only thing you should concern yourself with. American teenagers (that's what you've turned him into, in the USA) need a peer group. Your chances of finding a good peer group are difficult, if the 'half-breed' thing is in the minds of the Whites and the Thais. Sorry to say that, but again, you're the one who made him that way. Thais are much more racistor xenophobic than the average Americans are.

You said: " the 'half-breed' thing is in the minds of the Whites and the Thais. Sorry to say that, but again, you're the one who made him that way."

Shut your slimey mouth - find some other stranger to attack. My son and I love each other, he's a well-adjusted happy kid. We live in Hawaii at the moment where his being multi-racial isn't a big deal - luckilly he doesn't run into many racists like you.

He spent several months in Thailand last summer, and had a real good reception. I'm not worried about Thai kids accepting him - they just think he's a farang anyway. In fact, one of the things I do woryy about, is that several Thai girls seemed quite attracted to him, and flirted agressively - even upcountry village girls - some older than him.

Anyway, I'm asking anybody their opinion on my qualifications as a father - I just wanted to hear from people who had experience raising kids in Thailand, and hopefully some tips on good/bad schools, things to do, etc.

As for

Hi,

You said: " the 'half-breed' thing is in the minds of the Whites and the Thais. Sorry to say that, but again, you're the one who made him that way."

Shut your slimey mouth - find some other stranger to attack. My son and I love each other, he's a well-adjusted happy kid. We live in Hawaii at the moment where his being multi-racial isn't a big deal - luckilly he doesn't run into many racists like you.

He spent several months in Thailand last summer, and had a real good reception. I'm not worried about Thai kids accepting him - they just think he's a farang anyway. In fact, one of the things I do woryy about, is that several Thai girls seemed quite attracted to him, and flirted agressively - even upcountry village girls - some older than him.

Anyway, I'm asking anybody their opinion on my qualifications as a father - I just wanted to hear from people who had experience raising kids in Thailand, and hopefully some tips on good/bad schools, things to do, etc.

As for

Hi,

As for

Agree FarangYaayYaaw, I don't think being half thai half farang is a problem, nor will he have a problem finding a peer group, particulary if he goes to an international school. If anything 50/50s are revered in TH.

I just believe the States is a better option to bring up your son to give him the best advantage in life.

Good luck with your decision.

Agree FarangYaayYaaw, I don't think being half thai half farang is a problem, nor will he have a problem finding a peer group, particulary if he goes to an international school. If anything 50/50s are revered in TH.

I just believe the States is a better option to bring up your son to give him the best advantage in life.

Good luck with your decision.

Thanks for you sincerety. I've homeschooled him before, and if need be I could do that again - he sort of likes the idea. He's a smart curious kid, will learn, and will get into college - I'm not that worried about his education. (Except the cost of schools like ISB - OUCH!)

Also, Hawaii does not have very good public schools - especially at the high shool level. I could leave him here with his mother, but she's just in no position to help him with school & social issues. Besides that she works 80 hours/week so he'd be basically alone.

I really was looking for first-hand experience with people who have raised teens there, and I got some - but I have the feeling that the vast majority of people on this site have no such experience.

But thank you (almost) everyone for your input!

I'll give you a quick but abbreviated apology. I don't think I'm racist, but after living in Thailand full time these past two years, I've observed that many Thais appear to be more racist than Americans are. Now that you tell us you've been living in Hawaii, that helps. I'm not blaming you for marrying a Thai lady and having a child by her, and I'm not blaming you for raising your child in the USA (I did that 6 times over). I only raised the issue about mixed-race, as an open question for discussion, because other people have said it can be a problem with teenage peer groups.

I just broke up with my Thai lover of almost two years - does that mean I'm slimey or racist?

It's too bad that so few people on this board appear to be able to give you direct advice. Now I'll try to shut up. Sincerely, I wish you the best.

I'll give you a quick but abbreviated apology.  I don't think I'm racist, but after living in Thailand full time these past two years, I've observed that many Thais appear to be more racist than Americans are.  Now that you tell us you've been living in Hawaii, that helps.  I'm not blaming you for marrying a Thai lady and having a child by her, and I'm not blaming you for raising your child in the USA (I did that 6 times over).  I only raised the issue about mixed-race, as an open question for discussion, because other people have said it can be a problem with teenage peer groups. 

I just broke up with my Thai lover of almost two years - does that mean I'm slimey or racist?

It's too bad that so few people on this board appear to be able to give you direct advice.  Now I'll try to shut up.  Sincerely, I wish you the best.

Thank you for your apology, but you're apologizing for the wrong thing. I don't care if you think Thais or Americans or anyone else is racist. But what I got angry about was your implication that my kid was somehow inferior. Again your quote:

==============

==============

I'm extremely proud of my wonderul son - you don't need to be sorry I made him a "half-breed". I assume you don't have kids of your own, but it's bad form to insult other peoples kids like that. :o

Nuff said.

I'm trying to back out of this semi-gracefully. You wanted advice from parents who had raised children (in Thailand), about bringing your son over to Thailand. I did not mean to insult you or your son. I taught all six of my children to marry whomever they wish, any race or color, and half of them married outside their racial-national group. I'm not sorry that your son is half-Thai and I don't think there's anything wrong with that. I asked if it would be a problem in Thailand. I'm sorry I mentioned it. I guess it's no problem at all.

Nuff said.