High School Farang Kids In Thailand

FarangYaayYaaw

Does a farang kid raised in Thailand will share the lack of critical thinking with the Thai kids?

And will he always be the punished one at school because of being the one who always disturb the teacher with smart question? ;-)

When I married my Thai wife, she had a 7 year old son. He was going to Thai school. When he was 9 he came home with 3 incredible bloody welts on the back of his leg. He said the teacher went crazy and beat all the boys because she said she was sure they all deserved it. They probably all did something, she just didn't catch them, so they deserved punishment.

I went to the school to talk to the teacher, and she flattly refused to even look at me. I talked to the principle and he let me know as a foreigner I had no right to even be talking to him, and if I didn't like the way they did things in Thailand, I was free to "go home." Shortly thereafter my wife got pregnant she moved to the US.

But that must have happened at Thai public school and FarangYaayYaaw is considering having his son enrolled in international school?

I spent three years of my high school time at ISB (well, that was early 80's) and I did see and hear drug and alcohol abuse being problems among some of the high school students (mostly Americans). I also remember quite a few of my friends hang out at Patpong ("Superstar" was a popular spot back then). I was even more surprised to find there was an area in ISB where students were allowed to smoke cigarette on campus with permit issued from school (with consent of parent/s). Considering most students (if not all) not older than 18, I found it an outrageous policy on school's part to allow students who are minors and thus haven't reached the minimum age to allow smoking on campus.

But of course not every students were junkies nor having alcoholc problems, I guess it depends more on your son's upbringing than the school environment. If I were to send my kid to study at school like ISB/IRS, I would be more concerned for the kid growing up soiled than becoming a junkie. For some reason I am under impression that kids from int'l schools lack discipline after seeing groups of those kids in town quite a few times.

Anyway I enjoyed my high school years at ISB. It was technically an American school for its curriculum and most of the teachers being American, but while roughly 50% of the students were Americans (back then), it was a truly international environment with so diverse and mixed student body.

One thing you might note is if your son will go to college in U.S., you might want to check the accreditations when choosing a school here. I heard for the application of admission to American university to be accepted, one has to be a graduate from school accredited by WASC (Western Association of Schools and Colleges, I believe) or else s/he would not be considered having completed high school education. I'm not so sure if this applies to only int'l schools.

I went to the school to talk to the teacher, and she flattly refused to even look at me. I talked to the principle and he let me know as a foreigner I had no right to even be talking to him, and if I didn't like the way they did things in Thailand, I was free to "go home."

That's what a Thai educator said? That you don't have a right to a say because you're a farang?

:o

Edited by Nordlys

I went to the school to talk to the teacher, and she flattly refused to even look at me. I talked to the principle and he let me know as a foreigner I had no right to even be talking to him, and if I didn't like the way they did things in Thailand, I was free to "go home."

That's what a Thai educator said? That you don't have a right to a say because you're a farang?

I don't buy it.

QUOTE(Nordlys @ 2005-05-13 09:20:53)

QUOTE(FarangYaayYaaw @ 2005-05-13 03:17:54)

I don't buy it.

I don't buy it either, Ajarn.

In my experience with Thai schools, the "look kreung" is very popular with other students. I have seen some Thai teachers get annonyed and resentful at some kids though. Sometimes this is because the kid can speak better English than the teacher. I have one friend who, after his kid was hit by a teacher, went round and smacked the teacher. This is not advisable, but if anyone hit my child, I would find it very, very hard not to do the same.

As for the principle telling you that you have no rights. I have seen similar things but mostly because the parent couldn't speak proper Thai. What rights do you have as a foriegner if you go to Thai school to speak to the Head and can't speak the language?

To the OP, I've had problems with older Thai boys taking too much interest in my daughter(who is only at Kindergarten!). It is going to be a big worry in the future, especially if we continue to live upcountry. I am going to get her trained in Thai boxing, if she wants. Very important for a pretty girl(especially "look kreung" to be able to defend herself). We all know what Thai schoolboys(teenagers) are like.

Bangkok Pattana is , IMO, the best school in Bangkok, with Harrow a close second.

My mate's daughters went there, and are now abroad at Uni.

The biggest problem that I saw was the girls "looking down" at Thai students. They always told me that they were not Thai, but American. Although they were half Thai, they refused to take part in anything Thai, even refusing to speak with relatives who couldn't speak English. Simply, they have no idea of where they come from, like a lot of kids at International schools. And drugs are a problem like in all schools in Thailand. These kids can't fit in. The 100% Americans call them Thai, the Thais call them farang.

I want my kids to remember and respect their Thai and Scottish roots. They will always be the farang kids but are also Thai.

I have helped raise an American teenage son in Thailand perhaps I can offer some insight. Our circumstances were certainly not the same as yours as I was lucky enough to be on a full expat package, which included the school fees.

Our son was entering his second year of high school when we accepted a transfer to Bangkok, it was a family decision at the time and the boy had a large amount of input into that decision. It was tough because he was making a decision that would take him away from many of the things he loved, not the least of which were his friends. He felt keeping the family together was more important than his personal issues, I was proud and too be honest mildly shocked by that decision.

If you can afford to put your son in a good international school here in Bangkok (I only have experience with ISB) the level of education should be similar to what he would receive at a decent public high school in American. He has now completed university with reasonable grades and is working at a job he seems to enjoy. As I remember nearly all of his classmates went on to university in countries all over the world. Which says to me that they were prepared by the school to qualify for the next level of education.

Socially, their teenagers and required a level of supervision that keeps them from crossing over the line. If your job is going to have you traveling a great deal or entertaining many evenings it could be a problem. He is unlikely to accept supervision from any other source. I think that is really a question that should be in the forefront of you thinking. In Bangkok the same problems exist that do most everywhere else in the world today, it’s the parents job to “try” and keep their children from succumbing to the influence of peer pressure and their natural desire to take things to the edge. You have no hope of preventing them from scraping their knees, all you can do is to try and make them understand that taking certain risks have very dire consequences.

On the positive side he has said now as a young adult that the time he spent in Bangkok helped make him into the man he has become. He made many friends from all over the world, learned that most people regardless of their race or greed are looking for similar things from life. He also has a much broader prospective of the world than someone who was raised and schooled in America, he basically thinks outside the village. He like most people fell in love with Thailand; so much so that it recently took all my powers of persuasion (and the threat of cutting off funding) to keep him from taking a very low paying local job to return to Bangkok. When he has a base of job experience he may than find his way back here if it’s what he really wants.

Enough rambling; good luck with your decision, it’s tough to move into a new world and even tougher for a 13-year-old.

Any teacher that hits any of my kids should expect a visit from Sgt. Somchai.

The teachers know which kids can be hit and which cannot... just visit your teacher(s) at the start of the term and inform them that corporal punishment is not an acceptable form of punishment form in your family.

I have helped raise an American teenage son in Thailand perhaps ... good luck with your decision, it’s tough to move into a new world and even tougher for a 13-year-old.

I have not raised any teenagers in Thailand, but many of my colleagues have or are doing it now. This post pretty well sums up their experience. The top 3 or 4 International Schools mentioned here are more then adequate in their job, the trick is to do yours. There is definite pattern with kids that fall into the "expat brat" category, in that the parents have given way to much parental responsibility to the live-in maid.

TH

Any teacher that hits any of my kids should expect a visit from Sgt. Somchai.   

The teachers know which kids can be hit and which cannot... just visit your teacher(s) at the start of the term and inform them that corporal punishment is not an acceptable form of punishment form in your family. 

Corporal punishment of any type is illegal in Thai schools, and has been for a few years. Yes, it still happens occasionaly, but when parents have complained or filed charges with the police, action is taken, in my experience. It still isn't consistent enough in terms of accountability or consequences, but it isn't anything like the way it was when I first started teaching here.

Wow! Real experience finally! Thank you all.

I just had a talk with my son last night - and he says he'd like to try it - wants to improve his Thai and spend some time with his Thai relatives. It's a little easier than it otherwise might be because he'd be entering a new school here next year anyway.

He says he wants to go to school in Thailand and spend holidays in Hawaii with his mother, and see his old friends. So, if I can afford it, it looks like that's what will happen. If I can't it's back to home schooling.

I have seen similar things but mostly because the parent couldn't speak proper Thai. What rights do you have as a foriegner if you go to Thai school to speak to the Head and can't speak the language?

Who said I can't speak Thai. Not like a native, but better than most Farang I've met. In fact, it was kind of funny, I refused to speak English with the teacher, and she refused to speak Thai with me. My Thai isn't perfect, but it was a lot better than her English! Maybe that's why she was so silent.

BTW somenone said corporal punishment is illegal in Thailand. This was in the late 80's I don't know if it was legal or not back then, but it wasn't unusual. In fact, my wife wasn't at all shocked like I was.