Macbook Display

sleepyjohn

Hi there

This afternoon I kind of fell over my Blackbook. At 3 1/2 years old it's all I need with maxed out RAM and 320gb......just saying it's not time for a new one it works beautifully.

The screen now looks 2 thirds knackered. Luckily everything else seems to be working as I connected and this is up on the TV screen.

I'm quite willing to do the repair myself.

The best option:

Someone has a knackered Macbook (even better if in Chiangmai but anywhere will do) for which they will sell me a screen. Please.

Or:

Someone can tell me the price of a screen in Thailand.

What's the Apple price, and is there a cheaper alternative available right here.

Or likely option:

I order from the US for about $55.

But I'm concerned about it actually getting here.

What's......best Fedex at $35ish? Will it make it through easily or get stick in customs?

thanks in advance

John

Edited by sleepyjohn

Sorry about your problem.

If you send something via Fedex from overseas it will arrive at your door (very quickly in my experience). If there is any duty, Fedex will pay that on import and collect from you on delivery.

Thanx v much Hugh useful info

Just to extend it is your experience of Fedex extensive in

1. the number of things you've sent?

2. the type of things you've sent?

......and always interested in others' experience (and of course if I can source a screen locally).\

cheers John

With Fedex, you will pay import tax. But for $55 the whole thing is probably still going to be cheaper than buying it here.

My worst case scenario would be: Value $55 + $30 shipping = $85. 50% tax ~= $125. I don't know if it's actually 50% tax, but most likely it's going to be between 30 and 50. There' a website + database for taxes but good luck finding anything on it.

With ground shipping, they probably won't bother to open it and you won't pay import tax. But it'll take a lot longer.

With Fedex, you will pay import tax. But for $55 the whole thing is probably still going to be cheaper than buying it here.

My worst case scenario would be: Value $55 + $30 shipping = $85. 50% tax ~= $125. I don't know if it's actually 50% tax, but most likely it's going to be between 30 and 50. There' a website + database for taxes but good luck finding anything on it.

With ground shipping, they probably won't bother to open it and you won't pay import tax. But it'll take a lot longer.

Thanx Nikster

I had guessed the Apple part might be expensive and sure enough it is 11,000. To be fair Maczone CM, where I know one of the owners and am an old customer, very kindly said if I sourced one myself they'd stick it in for me. So I shall indeed send from US.

Now wondering the best place to find info about varieties/vintages of screens through the Macbook era as i don't want to get sent a misfit.

I have been offered by lcdscreen.com a model from

http://www.lcdscreen.com/ppc-series-macboo...d6XUUYg#screen2

who replied to me

We do have the 13.3” WXGA LCD panel for the Apple Macbook MB881LL/A in stock for $59.00.

seems they couldn't be bothered to read through my email. They seemed to be offering

Macbook MB881LL/A Apple 13.3 inch WXGA 1 CCFL Notebook Display for $59.00

and the

MacBook Apple 13.3 inch WXGA 1 CCFL Notebook Display for $59.00

I said i believed that the "MB881LL/A Apple 13.3 inch WXGA 1 CCFL Notebook Display" model was for a MacBook which ran from 2007 (mine's 2006), but would their other one fit......they just offered me the dirst one for some lazy reason.

If anyone's good at working this sort of thing out the Apple display part number needed to match is

661-3959

and details of MacBook

Model Name: MacBook

Model Identifier: MacBook1,1

Processor Name: Intel Core Duo

Processor Speed: 2 GHz

Number Of Processors: 1

Total Number Of Cores: 2

L2 Cache: 2 MB

Memory: 2 GB

Bus Speed: 667 MHz

Boot ROM Version: MB11.0061.B03

SMC Version (system): 1.4f12

Serial Number (system): 4H6233XMVMM

Hardware UUID: 00000000-0000-1000-8000-0016CBCB5878

I'd be very grateful for any pointers....

thanx John

• 1 month later...

Just in case anyone else gets a broken screen.

I ended up finding an AUOptronics BE133 screen in a regular notebook repair shop (original was a Samsung.)

It cost about the same as importing a discount screen from the US. The quality is the same there are only a few manufacturers

Apple 11000 baht.

Mine 3900 baht.

It was quite a job as I was told I had to remove the hinge cover and undo the hinges by taking off the top cover which is about as much as you can do on a Macbook. It meant considerable fiddliness getting it all back together. A guide I found said this is not necessary and it would reduce the work a LOT.

I though the layout kind of primitive, the sleep magnet just fell out unglued, the wiring was not well guided into the hinge area and could easily pinch, the 20 pin connector had no snap shut it relied on tape and I happen to know causes problems for people I had to have two goes just to make it connect properly.

I'd be interested to know if anyone's managed to get the hinge cover off without a major demolition.

Hope this may help someone save some money.

John