Is Transfer Of Non-imm B Visa To Retirement Visa Possible?

Does anyone know if it is possible to change a Non-Imm Business Visa to a Retirement Visa, without having to leave the country, to take advantage of the remaining time on the visa?

My business visa and WP have been extended 4 times, I meet the age requirement, and have the necessary funds deposited in a thai bank to qualify for a retirement visa.

Thanks in advance for any info.

You can not work on a retirement extension of stay and you can not keep a work extension of stay after work ends so it would be a case of having to do everything the same day I suspect. I would just do the normal end of work leave country and obtain a single entry non immigrant O visa for a Consulate/return and 60 days later extend for retirement.

Now if you are really talking about 90 day entry visa then it is not a problem but suspect you are talking about immigration extensions of stay for work.

If you are asking whether or not you can get an extension of stay based on retirement with a non-immigrant "B" visa, the answer is YES. Immigration can cancel your extension of stay based on working and reissue a retirement extension of stay, if they so choose. The details may get a bit tricky.

Edited by InterestedObserver

Having gone through the process a few weeks ago, it is almost impossible to do it all in 1 day.

The Work Permit has to be cancelled at the Labour office. The receipt must be submitted to Immigration to have the extension of stay cancelled.You are not allowed used the remaining time on the extension of stay as it was dependent on the WP.

At this stage there is a choice of 7 day extension for 1900 Bt or pay overstay at 500 Bt per day.

A letter from your bank (dated same day as retirement extension application) must be submitted to immigration, with the retirement extension application.

In my case, I think there were 5 different desks in Immigration to be negotiated.

Sometimes I regret not doing it the way Lopburi suggests.

In theory you only need to turn up at immigration, on or before your last day of work, with a letter from your employer stating your last day of employment. Immigration will then cancel your extension of stay based on working. You then immediately apply for a 1 year extension of stay based on retirement. Assumes that you meet all the necessary conditions for a retirement extension, including timely bank balance letter and matching bank book balance update; the immigration officer is in a magnanimous mood; and the rules have not recently changed.

Edited by InterestedObserver

I did it back in 2004. Did it through a local law office (cost about 12,000b in fees). I was told that once my WP has been turned in, I had 7 days to leave Thailand OR change the reason I was in Thailand. I went the second route. After my company turned in my WP I made application to change the reason I want to stay in Thailand to RETIREMENT. I had to have all the "ducks lined up" beforehand (eg. money in the bank, forms all filled in, etc.). And it went like a breeze. I've been renewing it myself ever since.