Beer Lao

custard

Drinking Beer Lao in an open air bar in Vientiane by the Mekhong is nicer than drinking it in Soi Zero.

I think the romantic setting contributes to the flavour !

Beer Lao was owned by Ital Thai, builder of Bangkok airport and BTS

Beer Lao will never be found on sale in Thailand because Thailand is a not a free market and the Thai authorities know that if they did sell beer Lao, everyone would go out and buy it instead of Singha and Chang (assuming Beer Lao was competitively priced).

Admittedly, I thought the same of Tiger and was surprised when they introduced it onto the market. Mr. Shinawatra is apparently listening to ex-pat complaints at the moment, so perhaps we should suggest he lets a few more beers onto the market. Grolsh, Beer Lao and Anchor would be a good start.

Edited by fw1

Drinking Beer Lao in an open air bar in Vientiane by the Mekhong is nicer than drinking it in Soi Zero.

I think the romantic setting contributes to the flavour !

Beer Lao was owned by Ital Thai, builder of Bangkok airport and BTS

I go to Vientiane 2 or 3 times just do that. Great place, then usually bring back 3 or 4 cases of beer Lao till the next trip. I think its the best beer in SEA. When out of Beer Lao have to revert to Heinken. Thai beer gives me a major headache.

sure you don't mean Beer Leo?

Wonderful stuff........OK it's s##t - but the name is very close don't you think?

No, not Leo beer. The are talking about beer Lao, named of the people of Laos.

Great beer too, but probably best sipped by the Mekong though.

I just saw some Grolsch yesterday at the Villa near soi 33/Phrom Phong BTS station.

Also Chimay, Clausthaler, Erdinger, Sapporo, Budweiser, Guinness, and I don't recall the rest.

The only Beerlao I've ever seen here was smuggled in. I'd dearly love to see it at my local, but alas, it'll probably never happen.

jb

I just saw some Grolsch yesterday at the Villa near soi 33/Phrom Phong BTS station. 

Also Chimay, Clausthaler, Erdinger, Sapporo, Budweiser, Guinness, and I don't recall the rest.

The only Beerlao I've ever seen here was smuggled in.  I'd dearly love to see it at my local, but alas, it'll probably never happen.

jb

I was speaking to local bar-owner this afternoon, who told me he would have to charge 250 baht for bottle of Chimay. I've never tasted this, but at this price wouldn't bother. Clausthaler, as I recall is nonalcoholic, so what's the point? Of the rest I'd only be interested in the Guinness. So what price they want per pint? If you've got to drink fizzy p!ss, then Beer Chang is probably the best! :o:D

• 11 months later...